OhShush

How to “claim” my stimulus check this tax season

7 posts in this topic

Hi, everyone. Me and my husband are one of those couples who did not get the stimulus check early this year because of our “mixed status”. He is a USC and I just filed for AOS early this year. I had ITIN when we filed jointly for our 2019 taxes and last August, I just got my SSN from my EAD. Since the tax season is fast approaching I do have a couple of questions that some of you may know the answer.

1. Now that I have SSN. How do I notify IRS about the change? I Googled it and it says do it by mail but the person who helps me do my taxes said that I can update my information thru phone. Not sure about this but I will keep calling the IRS. Maybe you can tell me how you notified IRS about the change. 

2. How are we going to claim that $2,400 stimulus check that we never got this year? 

3. Our baby was born last February. I’m not getting my hopes up on this as I assumed she did not have any SSN with IRS as she has just been born this year but feel free to prove me wrong on this. Would there be a way for us to claim a $500 stimulus check for my child?

4. About the 2nd ($600) stimulus: can mixed status couple like me and my husband get the stimulus check this time?

Just like some of us here, I am confused with these things and I am hoping to get some answers to these questions listed above. Thank you all.

Edited by OhShush

45 minutes ago, OhShush said:

Would there be a way for us to claim a $500 stimulus check for my child?

Yes, during 2020 tax year filing you'll get all the relevant rebate credits that you have yet to receive. The 1040 form should have a space for Recovery Rebate Credit: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/f1040--dft.pdf

The draft instructions currently just mention the earlier $1200 (and $500 for eligible dependents), so unclear if they'll quickly update the instructions with the yet to be signed (by Trump) into law additional $600.

Does your child now have SSN? If not, contact SSA: https://www.ssa.gov/coronavirus/

I need help with my Social Security Number (SSN)

We are prioritizing requests for in-person SSN services for:

• Individuals age 12 or older applying for their first SSN card.
  • Individuals who need to update or correct their SSN information (such as your name, date of birth, or citizenship) to obtain income, resources, or medical care or coverage, or other services or benefits (for example filing a tax return, applying for housing, or seeking an Economic Impact Payment).

If you believe you qualify for an in-person appointment, call your local office. You can look up the phone number for your local office by accessing our office locator. Please note that appointments may not be immediately available, depending on local health and safety conditions and staffing.

Edited by HRQX

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I could be wrong but I thought you had to have a green card in order to get the stimulus?  I know with the new bill USC in mixed status families qualify, even retroactively for the 1200.  If you only have an EAD there's restrictions on your SSN from what I understand.  My husband got his green card in October and just applied for a new SSN with no restrictions last month because we thought it would affect getting the rebate.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
13 hours ago, OhShush said:

How are we going to claim that $2,400 stimulus check that we never got this year? 

It is still available to claim as a tax credit when you file the 2020 tax return using 2 SSNs and your combined income is under $150,000. The child will get. $500 with a SSN.  $2900 total to you if all have SSNs. It won’t be sent as a check or direct deposit. It will just be rolled into your tax refund. 

See the form 1040 here
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf
It’s on the second page line 30.

I don’t know if the $600 each person ($1800 more for you) has been decided. Likely the ones who got it before will get again the same ways and those like you would get through filing a 2020 tax return. They would have to modify the tax forms and software to allow both payments. They can easily do that before tax filing season starts. 

You do not need a greencard to be eligible but do need a SSN.

Edited by Wuozopo

54 minutes ago, Callistora said:

I thought you had to have a green card in order to get the stimulus?

Nope. Even out of status individuals that were previously issued SSN (e.g. based on previous work authorization) are eligible: https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/748/text "Valid identification number.-- (A) In general.--For purposes of paragraph (1), the term `valid identification number' means a social security number (as such term is defined in section 24(h)(7))."

Edited by HRQX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.