4 posts in this topic

I am about to file I-485 adjustment of status. There is this question# 26 on the form under part 8 general eligibility and admissibility grounds 

Have you EVER committed a crime of any kind (even if you were NOT arrested, cited, charged with, or tried for that case)?

The rule to answer question from 25 to 60 or is at the bottom

Few years ago, I was having an altercation with my ex (then wife). In the heat of the arguments she called police. She had been waiting for sometime to do this as we had a small child and she wanted divorce. The responding LEO talked to both of us. She alleged that I pushed her and caused a scratch which was a lie and I told him that as it got escalated, I walked out allowing to calm down. He performed a civil standby asking me to leave and come back after things cool down. He also documented this and issued a report. There was NO arrest, citation, charges or detainment.

Few days later, my wife deciding to leave went to police station and used this incident to get an emergency protective order. Again the officer issued this to me and asked me to stay away from her and use a family law attorney to deal with custody matters and such. Again there was no arrest other than handing EPO. The EPO expired in 5 days during which my ex served me the divorce papers from court. In that she alleged abuse and got a civil DVRO against me. Probably they entered this into CLETS system. There was never a violation and at the first temp hearing the DVRO was listed and we entered into a custody agreement. This was a pure domestic dispute that was dealt in the family court

So now my question is, if I need to answer YES to that question. If so then I would have to give the details which is unnecessary inviting trouble. First of there was no crime for which I was punished in the form of sentencing or fine or community service. So why say I did crime when I haven't any such thing.

Should I need to bring to my attorney's attention who is going to file 485 on my behalf? I am on the fence because he works for my employer and I do not want anyone in the company to know about it. I think he would have a duty to my employer too.

Please let me know your thoughts

Rule:
For Item Numbers 25. - 45., you must answer "Yes" to any
question that applies to you, even if your records were sealed or
otherwise cleared, or even if anyone, including a judge, law
enforcement officer, or attorney, told you that you no longer
have a record. You must also answer "Yes" to the following
questions whether the action or offense occurred here in the
United States or anywhere else in the world. If you answer
"Yes" to Item Numbers 25. - 45., use the space provided in
Part 14. Additional Information to provide an explanation
that includes why you were arrested, cited, detained, or charged;
where you were arrested, cited, detained, or charged; when
(date) the event occurred; and the outcome or disposition (for
example, no charges filed, charges dismissed, jail, probation,
community service).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

If you didn't commit any crime, I would think the answer would be no. Especially if you were never arrested or detained. I don't know the meaning of the acronyms you used, but it sounds like you were never charged with anything?

58 minutes ago, MKJ119 said:

If you didn't commit any crime, I would think the answer would be no. Especially if you were never arrested or detained. I don't know the meaning of the acronyms you used, but it sounds like you were never charged with anything?

Thanks for the response. Yes I was never arrested or detained

This isn't a question that you should base your decision on from replies on a message board - Answering wrong could result in a denial.  You have a lawyer involved, I would talk to your lawyer and let them make the determination, they are the expert.  I understand it's employment based - but many people go through similar situations, it's not something that you will lose your job over.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.