erzengel

SSN arrived almost 7 months after POE

2 posts in this topic

Just wanted to give some hope to folks still waiting for their SSN...  My husband arrived in California in March.  We had checked the box on the DS-260 for the SSN to be sent automatically.  Weeks went by, and we received nothing.  I called SSA, but they had no record of him in the system.  At the time, all the local SSA offices were closed due to COVID, so they advised us to just wait.  In July, we received his green card.  Called SSA again, still no record; offices still closed.

Fast forward to end of September, I call SSA again, and they tell me offices are accepting limited in-person appointments, but only for persons with a dire need, i.e. you have a job offer letter in hand or require a SSN for health insurance.  Since we didn't have a dire need, we couldn't make an appointment. We accepted that we just had to wait longer.  

Then this Tuesday, completely out of the blue, my husband received his SSN!  We couldn't believe it.  The issue date was October 1, 2020.  After so many months and multiple calls to SSA, we finally got it.  Perhaps we should have called USCIS, but we just didn't think to contact them.  We're just so relieved to have his SSN.  We can now move on with getting his driver's license and getting ready for filing taxes, etc.

Our ROC story so far...
1/3/2022: I-751 sent via USPS Priority Mail; delivered to Phoenix Lockbox 1/5
1/6/2022: CC processed for filing and biometric fees
1/7/2022: Received receipt # via text
1/15/2022:  Received NOA and 24-month extension letter
1/22/2022:  Received biometrics appointment letter
2/8/2022:  Biometrics appointment
10/2/2023:  SURPRISE!  We received the I-751 approval letter and 10-year green card without an interview.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.