mountgaijin

Leave US for over six months on CR-1 Visa??

5 posts in this topic

We have recently learned my wife's mother is very ill and only has a short time left, so we want to get back to her as soon as possible.

My wife arrived in the US on a CR-1 Visa in April. She has got her green card already.

Do we need to apply for a re-entry permit (I-131) ? 
We will definitely be gone over six months I think, but we should be back within 1 year.

Is the I-131 only required if we will be gone over 1 year?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You only need the re-entry permit for stays over 12 months outside the US.  That being said, if you are not sure how long your wife will be away, I would apply for one just in case, as you cannot apply for it from outside the US.

Sorry to hear about your wife’s mother, and Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

On 9/7/2020 at 3:47 PM, Dashinka said:

That being said, if you are not sure how long your wife will be away, I would apply for one just in case, as you cannot apply for it from outside the US.

I was thinking that might be a good idea. However, we cannot leave before the form is approved or it will be invalid, correct?
I've heard it takes 2-8 months normally. I know you can request expedited processing, but I'm not sure if it would be much faster.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
5 minutes ago, mountgaijin said:

I was thinking that might be a good idea. However, we cannot leave before the form is approved or it will be invalid, correct?
I've heard it takes 2-8 months normally. I know you can request expedited processing, but I'm not sure if it would be much faster.

You can leave after submitting the form .. if you go before biometrics you‘ll have to come back to do it .. the permit itself can be picked up at the overseas embassy you designate. 

• 8 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread.
We are still in Korea, and are heading back to the US in July. Unfortunately my wife's mother passed away.

We did not apply to get the re-entry permit.

It will be 10 months we have been out of the country.

I'd say these are pretty extraordinary circumstances, and it has still been less than 12 months. Of course we will provide documents regarding my mother in law's passing to present to immigration if necessary.

Has anyone had any similar experience, and if so did you have any trouble re-entering the US?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.