catfrances

Dual USA/UK Citizen Remote Work Question

10 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi,
I am a dual citizen of the UK and USA. I live and work in the USA. If I visit the UK for 5.5 months to stay with my mum and have a return ticket back to the USA, will I be liable to pay UK taxes for the duration of being at my mums for 5.5 months? I will not be working for any UK company just visiting but I will be working remote for the company I work for in the USA.
Thank you for any advice.

Dates as follow, (not legal advise)....

Met my partner - Jan 22nd 05
Got engaged - May 6th 06

Sent I-129F to Nebreska - Feb 21st -07
NOA1 - Feb 28th -07
NOA2 - May 22nd -07

Applied for my police record - June 4th -07
Pack 3 arrived!!! - June 21st -07
Police record(37 days)! - July 11th -07
Posted pack 3 back via signed for, next day delivery - July 25th -07
Medical - August 2nd -07
Apparently pack 3 was today signed for after going into a PO Box! - Aug 3rd -07 (9 days late)

So far 21 weeks

Pack 4 turned up! Interview end of August! - August 9th 07

Interview - 31st Aug 07 -Approved!!
27 weeks and 3 days from start to interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So you will not be claiming UK Residency, for example your Healthcare will be taken care of by your US Insurance, you will use your US DL?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

So you will not be claiming UK Residency, for example your Healthcare will be taken care of by your US Insurance, you will use your US DL?

Correct, Everything will remain USA based. I will just be on holiday for the 5.5 months and working as normal without claiming anything from the UK. 

Someone mentioned if you are out the coun try longer than 3 months you can be charged taxes, I have no idea where to find the answer.

Thank you.

Got engaged - May 6th 06

NOA1 - Feb 28th -07
NOA2 - May 22nd -07

Medical - August 2nd -07
Apparently pack 3 was today signed for after going into a PO Box! - Aug 3rd -07 (9 days late)

So far 21 weeks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, catfrances said:

Hi,
I am a dual citizen of the UK and USA. I live and work in the USA. If I visit the UK for 5.5 months to stay with my mum and have a return ticket back to the USA, will I be liable to pay UK taxes for the duration of being at my mums for 5.5 months? I will not be working for any UK company just visiting but I will be working remote for the company I work for in the USA.
Thank you for any advice.

Your permanent residence and tax home is the US. A long holiday in the UK does not change that. You continue to pay all taxes to the US and not the UK. There is a treaty saying you pay to where you reside. Even if you worked for a British company (as a US resident) you would still pay your tax to the IRS, not HMRC. 

Timeline
19 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Your permanent residence and tax home is the US. A long holiday in the UK does not change that. You continue to pay all taxes to the US and not the UK. There is a treaty saying you pay to where you reside. Even if you worked for a British company (as a US resident) you would still pay your tax to the IRS, not HMRC. 

Thank you for the reply. Do you know by chance when a long holiday in the UK technically turns into being a resident again? IE, having to start paying taxes etc?

Got engaged - May 6th 06

NOA1 - Feb 28th -07
NOA2 - May 22nd -07

Medical - August 2nd -07

So far 21 weeks

Timeline
37 minutes ago, catfrances said:

Thank you for the reply. Do you know by chance when a long holiday in the UK technically turns into being a resident again? IE, having to start paying taxes etc?

I don’t. How about things like when you go to work for a British employer, purchase or rent a UK home, sell your US home and cars, transfer your money to a UK bank account.  I think your tax home is somewhat determined by your actions and  perception of where your intended long term place of business and residence are.  Right now you claim to be visiting the UK. Are you planning to make it your home for many years? Are you looking for employment?  Have you spoken to your US employer about withholding UK taxes from your check and remitting to PAYE.

Are you an employee or a sel-employed contractor? W2 or 1099-MISC wage statement?

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

I don’t. How about things like when you go to work for a British employer, purchase or rent a UK home, sell your US home and cars, transfer your money to a UK bank account.  I think your tax home is somewhat determined by your actions and  perception of where your intended long term place of business and residence are.  Right now you claim to be visiting the UK. Are you planning to make it your home for many years? Are you looking for employment?  Have you spoken to your US employer about withholding UK taxes from your check and remitting to PAYE.

Are you an employee or a sel-employed contractor? W2 or 1099-MISC wage statement?

Thanks for the chat, that is how I see it too, I am not looking to stay there and have a return ticket.

I think it is because I am going back to my old visa days where I couldn't stay longer than 3 months when I visited the USA. Those were the days! Now I am a dual citizen it has changed.

I appreciate your time :)

Got engaged - May 6th 06

NOA1 - Feb 28th -07
NOA2 - May 22nd -07

Medical - August 2nd -07

So far 21 weeks

Timeline
4 minutes ago, catfrances said:

Now I am a dual citizen it has changed.

When you entered the U.K. some months back, did you enter with your British passport? If so, then there would be no limit on your stay. The reason I ask is because when I last visited, my British passport was expired and I entered as an American and had a limit on my stay. Since we were just on a 3 week holiday, it didn’t really matter to me.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Wuozopo said:

When you entered the U.K. some months back, did you enter with your British passport? If so, then there would be no limit on your stay. The reason I ask is because when I last visited, my British passport was expired and I entered as an American and had a limit on my stay. Since we were just on a 3 week holiday, it didn’t really matter to me.

Yes I use my UK, so I don't get asked the usual questions. I use my USA returning and no matter what I always get asked questions when i return back here, sigh.  

Got engaged - May 6th 06

NOA1 - Feb 28th -07
NOA2 - May 22nd -07

Medical - August 2nd -07

So far 21 weeks

Timeline
9 minutes ago, catfrances said:

Yes I use my UK, so I don't get asked the usual questions. I use my USA returning and no matter what I always get asked questions when i return back here, sigh.  

Normally I do the same to go through the fast line at each place, but I hadn’t renewed my British passport in time. The  visitor line was l-o-o-o-ng at Heathrow.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.