Nan&Steve

Petitioner's Birth Certificate needed for K-1 Interview?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello all,

I've a quick question. Does the US Embassy in BKK need to see the petitioner's(me) original Birth Certificate? Should I send it to Nan to bring along with her to the interview?

Are there any Original Documents that the petitioner needs to forward to the beneficiary or consular?

Thanks everyone!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Ya, you'll need the USC's original BC

Or passport.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Hmm... I didn't need one. I guess it's different for each embassy in each country. Make an email inquiry to the U.S embassy in Thailand for asking about the original BC of the petitioner, it's better to hear directly from them.

-G

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Timeline

Nan&Steve,

Maybe the interviewer will ask to see your birth certificate, maybe not.

Photocopies of supporting documentation for petitions and applications is accepted by USCIS and DOS with the understanding that an immigration officer or a consular officer can ask to see the original document to verify the photocopy. The visa interview (and the AOS interview) are convenient times to spot-check documentation. Be prepared.

Yodrak

Hello all,

I've a quick question. Does the US Embassy in BKK need to see the petitioner's(me) original Birth Certificate? Should I send it to Nan to bring along with her to the interview?

Are there any Original Documents that the petitioner needs to forward to the beneficiary or consular?

Thanks everyone!

-G,

It may be different for each interview. Photocopies of supporting documentation for petitions and applications is accepted by USCIS and DOS with the understanding that an immigration officer or a consular officer can ask to see the original document to verify the photocopy. The visa interview (and the AOS interview) are convenient times to spot-check documentation.

One won't know what will be asked for and what won't be asked for until they are at the interview talking with the interviewing officer. Just because you weren't asked for a particular item doesn't mean that the next person after you won't be asked for it.

Yodrak

Hmm... I didn't need one. I guess it's different for each embassy in each country. Make an email inquiry to the U.S embassy in Thailand for asking about the original BC of the petitioner, it's better to hear directly from them.

-G

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Yodrak,

Thank-you, excellent information! I've decided to send certified copies of my Birth Certificate and DD-214(military discharge papers). I hope this will be an acceptable alternative. Hhhhhmmm, maybe I'll do the same for my driver's license and passport.

Everyone, we really do appreciate your inputs. Thank You all soo much!

This community of VJ really highlights what's noble in today's world. People helping each other without expecting anything in return. If only the rest of the world would follow our example. Nan and I wish you all health and happiness.

-G,

It may be different for each interview. Photocopies of supporting documentation for petitions and applications is accepted by USCIS and DOS with the understanding that an immigration officer or a consular officer can ask to see the original document to verify the photocopy. The visa interview (and the AOS interview) are convenient times to spot-check documentation.

One won't know what will be asked for and what won't be asked for until they are at the interview talking with the interviewing officer. Just because you weren't asked for a particular item doesn't mean that the next person after you won't be asked for it.

Yodrak

-G

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

So a US Passport is enough? I have had a really hard time getting my B.C because I was born in the Netherlands (to US citizen parents). I am the petitioner, USC.

Yoly

Edited by YolyPetra

-G,

Yodrak

-G

Yodrak,

I'm aware of that and I'm thinking for the OP to ask about it to the U.S embassy in Thailand for they would provide more eligible information for what are needed on the interview

-G

keTiiDCjGVo

liz_legend

You don't. You obtain one from the government office where the original is on file.

Yodrak

How do you make a certified copy of a birth certificate??

Yoly,

A US passport is generally sufficient evidence that one is a US citizen. But there may be times when an immigration or consular officer might want additional evidence.

Yodrak

So a US Passport is enough? I have had a really hard time getting my B.C because I was born in the Netherlands (to US citizen parents). I am the petitioner, USC.

Yoly

• 3 weeks later...
Hello all,

Thanks everyone!

We just had our interview in BKK on July 9th and it was a success. It's kind of funny though with all the security no one ever asked to see my passport on entry and they never asked to see my original birth certificate at the window. I would take both. Better to have it and not need it then to not have it and need it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.