hal14jordan

Entering US after 9 months on a green card

4 posts in this topic

So I got my GC in late Dec 2019 and after staying for around 15 days or so, I left the US back to my home country for my undergrad final semester.
I was supposed to be done by May end and move back to the US and then join a grad program in the US in Fall (Aug)
Due to covid, my exams keep getting postponed and should be done my Sept end. I plan to fly out on Oct 1st week. Less than a week after my exams are done.

I have the following proof as "ties" to the US:

A US bank account documents ( was able to open one in Jan)
Email confirming postponing of my exams in home country
The final schedule of my exams taking place in Sept
Admit letter from Grad school
Proof that I accepted offer for Fall
Proof that I deffered my admit to Spring 21
Proof that I completed a FAFSA form for aid
I filed the online form to get the 1200. Since I was resident for like 5 days in 2019, I wasn't required to file a 2019 return but O filled the online form to get the 1200. That form is basically filling up an empty 2019 1040 form.

I might move to a different place (not my sponsor's house) so in that case, I should have a lease signed for an apartment.

I am really scared about my entry. With covid and my exams being delayed with no fault of my own, I really couldn't fly out. Btw there weren't even any flights available until July or so. 

Will I be able to enter? I know I am going to be taken into secondary and I will be asked a whole lot of questions and I an prepared to answer everything. It wasn't really anything in my control.

I know that they can't force me to give up my GC but I also don't want to have a hearing in an immigration court.

Anyone who came back recently to the US after spending a long time outside during covid? Please share if you were asked a lot of questions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Working and Traveling from Covid-19- as the topic is about returning to the US after staying abroad for 9 months.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
On 8/5/2020 at 3:05 PM, hal14jordan said:

So I got my GC in late Dec 2019 and after staying for around 15 days or so, I left the US back to my home country for my undergrad final semester.
I was supposed to be done by May end and move back to the US and then join a grad program in the US in Fall (Aug)
Due to covid, my exams keep getting postponed and should be done my Sept end. I plan to fly out on Oct 1st week. Less than a week after my exams are done.

I have the following proof as "ties" to the US:

A US bank account documents ( was able to open one in Jan)
Email confirming postponing of my exams in home country
The final schedule of my exams taking place in Sept
Admit letter from Grad school
Proof that I accepted offer for Fall
Proof that I deffered my admit to Spring 21
Proof that I completed a FAFSA form for aid
I filed the online form to get the 1200. Since I was resident for like 5 days in 2019, I wasn't required to file a 2019 return but O filled the online form to get the 1200. That form is basically filling up an empty 2019 1040 form.

I might move to a different place (not my sponsor's house) so in that case, I should have a lease signed for an apartment.

I am really scared about my entry. With covid and my exams being delayed with no fault of my own, I really couldn't fly out. Btw there weren't even any flights available until July or so. 

Will I be able to enter? I know I am going to be taken into secondary and I will be asked a whole lot of questions and I an prepared to answer everything. It wasn't really anything in my control.

I know that they can't force me to give up my GC but I also don't want to have a hearing in an immigration court.

Anyone who came back recently to the US after spending a long time outside during covid? Please share if you were asked a lot of questions.

It is likely you will be asked about your stay out of the US.. but give the information just like you wrote on your post .. a “once of”extended stay for a reason such as yours is unlikely to get you anything more than a reminder about the purpose of the GC.. CBP at entry cannot cancel your LPR status .. the most they can do is refer your situation to be heard by an Immigration  judge but this is highly unlikely when it is one trip only and less than 12 months. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.