11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am so confused filling out the I-944. When they ask the following questions, are they asking them of the petitioner or the beneficiary.

Do you have have a credit score?

Do you have bad credit?

Have you ever filed for public benefits?

For example, due to my work having furlough days, me as the petitioner, has been receiving supplemental employment benefits.  Do I need to report that?  Or, are they asking if the beneficiary has received benefits?  So confusing!

I am so tempted right now to shell out an extra $1,000 to have RapidVisa help me.  Has anyone used them for the AOS for a K1 Visa Holder?

1 hour ago, praisejourney said:

are they asking them of the petitioner or the beneficiary.

Do you have have a credit score?

Do you have bad credit?

Have you ever filed for public benefits?

Those questions are only referring to the beneficiary.

1 hour ago, praisejourney said:

I am so confused filling out the I-944.

Do note that there's a recent nationwide injunction that temporarily blocks the I-944 requirement:

I still haven't seen anything regarding this injunction on uscis.gov: https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/public-charge

Timeline
1 hour ago, HRQX said:

Those questions are only referring to the beneficiary.

Do note that there's a recent nationwide injunction that temporarily blocks the I-944 requirement:

I still haven't seen anything regarding this injunction on uscis.gov: https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/public-charge

That is great information!! That is exactly what I needed! Thank you so much for your help!  I will research the blocked some more as well! Thanks!

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/public-charge/injunction-of-the-inadmissibility-on-public-charge-grounds-final-rule "Applicants and petitioners whose applications or petitions are postmarked on or after July 29, 2020, should not include the Form I-944 or provide information about the receipt of public benefits on Form I-485, Form I-129, or Form I-539/I-539A."

Timeline
38 minutes ago, HRQX said:

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/public-charge/injunction-of-the-inadmissibility-on-public-charge-grounds-final-rule "Applicants and petitioners whose applications or petitions are postmarked on or after July 29, 2020, should not include the Form I-944 or provide information about the receipt of public benefits on Form I-485, Form I-129, or Form I-539/I-539A."

Oh thank goodness!!!! One less thing I have to worry about! That is fantastic news! Thank you so so much!!

On 7/31/2020 at 12:38 PM, HRQX said:

Thank you, Such a relief that for has been causing me stress for the past month!!

Timeline
21 hours ago, JamesK1 said:

Thank you, Such a relief that for has been causing me stress for the past month!!

Oh I know! This form asks for so much information!  What a relief!

• 5 months later...

I am in the process of filling in the i-944, I am applying for AOS from my J1 visa.

Does this mean I do not need to submit this form?

39 minutes ago, Under-the-sea said:

Does this mean I do not need to submit this form?

There's been many changes since August: https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/public-charge/inadmissibility-on-public-charge-grounds-final-rule-litigation "Current Status Nov. 4, 2020 – We will apply the Public Charge Final Rule to all applications and petitions postmarked or submitted electronically on or after Feb. 24, 2020, including pending applications and petitions."

After that there was another layer of uncertainty for filers in certain states following a December court decision:

USCIS hasn't affirmatively acknowledged the December court decision.

ok thank you HRQX for the clarification. You have been awesome at responding to my posts regarding filling in these forms. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.