ThiagoAKern

change of first name and what it means in our home country

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I'm about to apply for citizenship and would like some information regarding the change of first name. I'm now Thiago Almeida Kern and would like to become Pierre Almeida Kern. From what I've read, this means my case will take longer, but I don't mind. Something that has been in my mind is: for those of you who have successfully changed your name during the naturalisation process, did your home country accept that change of name as well? I haven't found a lot of information on that. Say I wanna buy a house in my home country, my name here and there would be different. Does it mean I'll have more complications in the future? 

Thank you

You will be known in country A  as JohnA and in country B as JohnB.

Unless you change your name in both countries. It doesn't cause any issue really, might raise a little eye brow here and there if you show both passports, but other than that you are good to go.

You enter/leave your country with your country's passport, enter/leave usa with usa passport and that's it.

There are a few times when this might be bad is that you have a plane ticket on USA name, but for some reason you lost that passport but still have the Brazilian - it won't be much useful. :)  In all honesty, after doing my research, no need to worry. 

In theory it should make no difference having 2 separate first names for 2 separate  nationalities. However you could run into issues when flying from one country to the other country. Flight manifest data, inbound passport, outbound passport could not match up and than you are setting yourself up for a lot of questions. (traveling with my parents who have almost identical names to me and identical initials has had us nearly pulled from flights many times and that was pre 9-11. You are also setting yourself up for more scrutiny from IRS branches (if the share info between Brasil and the US).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.