TYosemite

Montreal Consulate

35 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Ptitchou said:

"For whatever reason" is very likely the border closure. If they're not inside Canada already, it'll be up to the Canadian government to determine whether or not they're exempted from the border closure. :(

I don't think that's it, diplomats are exempt and they could just fly in if they weren't, the only closed border is the land one. Anyhow, I don't know what to think anymore =(

Edited by Ver&S

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 7/29/2020 at 9:42 AM, Ver&S said:

I don't think that's it, diplomats are exempt and they could just fly in if they weren't, the only closed border is the land one. Anyhow, I don't know what to think anymore =(

Yes but if they want to bring their families with them they might not be able to or want to risk flying.

Recently Canada made an exemption to the border closure to allow diplomats and their families across but they have to quarantine for 2 weeks.

This made me hopeful for the 14th as a date they would start again. I figured they were going to cross and be done with quarantine around then.

This might also be why they aren't making an announcement yet since they have to apply for something to cross and plans can change.

Hoping we get more information soon.

Edited by travusb

1 hour ago, travusb said:

Yes but if they want to bring their families with them they might not be able to or want to risk flying.

Recently Canada made an exemption to the border closure to allow diplomats and their families across but they have to quarantine for 2 weeks.

This made me hopeful for the 14th as a date they would start again. I figured they were going to cross and be done with quarantine around then.

This might also be why they aren't making an announcement yet since they have to apply for something to cross and plans can change.

Hoping we get more information soon.

I thought that change you mention about diplomats only affected new ones that were not accredited by Canada yet.

In any case, it's all speculation, since they are not providing any information. I really hope we hear something soon.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Ver&S said:

I thought that change you mention about diplomats only affected new ones that were not accredited by Canada yet.

In any case, it's all speculation, since they are not providing any information. I really hope we hear something soon.

Here is the link I read last week. As far as I can tell this is when Canada started to allow diplomats and their families back in but I could be wrong.

It's even possible they would have been denied entry if flying because the article says Canada reopened TRVs.

Yes, I wish they would start providing some kind of information also. I'm tired of losing sleep over not knowing anything.

https://www.cicnews.com/2020/07/foreign-representatives-now-exempt-from-travel-restrictions-0715100.html#:~:text=TRVs must be coded “D,(eTAs) on July 1.

2 minutes ago, travusb said:

Here is the link I read last week. As far as I can tell this is when Canada started to allow diplomats and their families back in but I could be wrong.

It's even possible they would have been denied entry if flying because the article says Canada reopened TRVs.

Yes, I wish they would start providing some kind of information also. I'm tired of losing sleep over not knowing anything.

https://www.cicnews.com/2020/07/foreign-representatives-now-exempt-from-travel-restrictions-0715100.html#:~:text=TRVs must be coded “D,(eTAs) on July 1.

Thanks, this is why I thought it was only affecting new diplomats: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/updates/2020-accredited-officials.html Also TRVs are only needed for new diplomats who have not received acceptance. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/diplomatic-official-visas.html#trv-req-when

I'm compulsively checking the Canada immigration website as well, because I'm an immigrant here and because the US is not processing my visa in time, I've had to reapply to a new permit here as I now don't think I will get the US one before my Canadian one expires. I hope I hear good news from someone soon, I'm so stressed out =(. At this rate I will become an immigration lawyer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.