Timdo72

Social Security Administration (SSA) Earnings Statement

10 posts in this topic

I came across about the Social Security Administration (SSA) Earnings Statement at NVC stage on the travel.state.gov website.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-5-collect-financial-evidence-and-other-supporting-documents.html

Under the Social Security Administration (SSA) Earnings Statement, it reads: If no I-864 is required because the principal applicant can be credited with 40 eligible quarters under the Social Security Act, submit the applicant’s SSA Earnings Statement showing the coverage.

So if I have 40 eligible quarters of SSA Earnings Statement, I do not have to submit the form I-864? And if no form I-864 is required, does this also mean that I do not have to show proof of income, no affidavit of support is needed under this situation? This would be the perfect situation for me because I am currently unemployed but I do have more than 40 eligible quarters under the SSA.

Am I understanding this right and has anyone tried submitting the SSA Earnings Statement instead of submitting the I-864 plus income verification? Thank you in advance!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Timdo72 said:

I came across about the Social Security Administration (SSA) Earnings Statement at NVC stage on the travel.state.gov website.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-5-collect-financial-evidence-and-other-supporting-documents.html

Under the Social Security Administration (SSA) Earnings Statement, it reads: If no I-864 is required because the principal applicant can be credited with 40 eligible quarters under the Social Security Act, submit the applicant’s SSA Earnings Statement showing the coverage.

So if I have 40 eligible quarters of SSA Earnings Statement, I do not have to submit the form I-864? And if no form I-864 is required, does this also mean that I do not have to show proof of income, no affidavit of support is needed under this situation? This would be the perfect situation for me because I am currently unemployed but I do have more than 40 eligible quarters under the SSA.

Am I understanding this right and has anyone tried submitting the SSA Earnings Statement instead of submitting the I-864 plus income verification? Thank you in advance!

I take it you are the "petitioner".  Petitioners submit affidavits of support for visa applicants.  If your visa applicant has 40 quarters of earnings, is the context.  Are you the petitioner, or visa applicant?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

1 minute ago, pushbrk said:

I take it you are the "petitioner".  Petitioners submit affidavits of support for visa applicants.  If your visa applicant has 40 quarters of earnings, is the context.  Are you the petitioner, or visa applicant?

Yes, I am the petitioner. So does this mean that the 40 quarters of earnings only applied for the visa applicant which is someone I am trying to sponsor?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Timdo72 said:

I think you are confused. If you are the petitioner, the American, you have to submit the I-864. 

When the beneficiary (the immigrant) works 40 quarters, or becomes a citizen, or you or she dies; then the I-864 is no longer enforceable. 

1 minute ago, Timdo72 said:

Yes, I am the petitioner. So does this mean that the 40 quarters of earnings only applied for the visa applicant which is someone I am trying to sponsor?

Yes. Once they work 40 quarters you are no longer responsible for them

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Timeline
Just now, Timdo72 said:

Yes, sometimes the visa applicant has been in the US working previously.  See the words, "the principal applicant can be credited with 40 eligible quarters"  You are not applying for anything.  Your spouse is.  If you are unemployed, you'll need a job or a qualified joint sponsor.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

5 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

I think you are confused. If you are the petitioner, the American, you have to submit the I-864. 

When the beneficiary (the immigrant) works 40 quarters, or becomes a citizen, or you or she dies; then the I-864 is no longer enforceable. 

Yes. Once they work 40 quarters you are no longer responsible for them

Thank you and yes, you are right! I was confused. Now I understand that the 40 quarters only applied to the visa applicant and not the petitioner. 

9 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Yes, sometimes the visa applicant has been in the US working previously.  See the words, "the principal applicant can be credited with 40 eligible quarters"  You are not applying for anything.  Your spouse is.  If you are unemployed, you'll need a job or a qualified joint sponsor.

Thank you for making it clear to me now. Tough situation because of no job or qualified joint sponsor, guess I will have to rely on proof of assets then.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Timdo72 said:

Thank you for making it clear to me now. Tough situation because of no job or qualified joint sponsor, guess I will have to rely on proof of assets then.

Then become an A-Student of the I-864 instructions.  You'll $3 in liquid assets to make up for each dollar of income shortfall.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

36 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Then become an A-Student of the I-864 instructions.  You'll $3 in liquid assets to make up for each dollar of income shortfall.

Thank you for the info.

Which has more weight to qualify in the eyes of NVC agents if I have no job, a qualified joint sponsor with enough income or my liquid assets that have 3x values of income requirement?

What do you think is more important in the eyes of NVC agents or it doesn't really matter which method I choose just as long as the method qualified?

Edited by Timdo72

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Timdo72 said:

Thank you for the info.

Which has more weight to qualify in the eyes of NVC agents if I have no job, a qualified joint sponsor with enough income or my liquid assets that have 3x values of income requirement?

What do you think is more important in the eyes of NVC agents or it doesn't really matter which method I choose just as long as the method qualified?

First, NVC does not make the final decision on your affidavit of support.  Consular Officers do that.  If you use assets instead of income, NVC will tell you your income is insufficient, no matter how much you have in liquid assets, but they will still send the case on to the Consulate, where an officer will make a judgment call based on the totality of circumstances.

Have you read the definition of "liquid" from the I-864 instructions and find yourself comfortably qualifying based on liquid assets?  If so, why worry.  If not, study those instructions and do the math.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.