fiskefillet

Recent processing times for reentry permits?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hi, looking for recent processing times for reentry permits. Have read biometrics take 30-60 days, but perhaps there's a longer wait now due to COVID?

I am looking to be able to leave in september/october so trying to time my application it to be issued around then, as I understood that I am able to leave the US when my biometrics have been completed. please correct me if im wrong in any of this!

59 minutes ago, fiskefillet said:

but perhaps there's a longer wait now due to COVID?

Yes, because Application Support Centers (ASC) are still closed: https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/uscis-office-closings

59 minutes ago, fiskefillet said:

please correct me if im wrong in any of this!

Requirement is to be physically present in the US when you file the I-131. So you can leave right after your I-131 application is delivered to USCIS. Do you have someone that can open your mail from USCIS on your behalf? And would you be able to travel back to US if given (on average) a 3 week notice?

"You must be physically present in the United States when you file the application (Form I-131).  A re-entry permit may be sent to a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad for you to pick up, if you request it when you file your application.  Departure from the United States before a decision is made on a re-entry permit application does not affect the application." https://kr.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/re-entry-permit/

Edited by HRQX

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I just received information my Reentry Permit application was received and that the USCIS cashed my check.

Now waiting for the I-797 NOA and if/when I can do Biometrics.

My problem is that we're leaving the US on 7/21... 

Timeline

Thanks for feedback. Yeah I/m planning to file my 131 today or next week.

How

4 hours ago, Cewseww6 said:

I just received information my Reentry Permit application was received and that the USCIS cashed my check.

When did you file? You can always try to see if they've got an earlier appointment for biometrics, but yeah that sounds like a close call. good luck

Timeline
19 minutes ago, fiskefillet said:

Thanks for feedback. Yeah I/m planning to file my 131 today or next week.

How

When did you file? You can always try to see if they've got an earlier appointment for biometrics, but yeah that sounds like a close call. good luck

They received it in Phoenix on 6/26 because I was cheap and didn't choose an even faster delivery method... Sent it on 6/19. Spend the extra money if you're in need!

The local ASC will open on 7/20 so it is possible to leave fingerprints a whopping 24 hours before I have to leave. But once I receive the I-797 I'm going to give USCIS a call and see if there's any solution. Maybe they already have my prints, one can only hope!

1 hour ago, Cewseww6 said:

The local ASC will open on 7/20 so it is possible to leave fingerprints a whopping 24 hours before I have to leave.

I've only seen walk-ins work with having the ASC appointment notice in hand:

Also, walk-in procedures vary per ASC and are subject to change. During the pandemic, I assume some might be even more strict than usual.

Timeline
41 minutes ago, HRQX said:

I've only seen walk-ins work with having the ASC appointment notice in hand:

Also, walk-in procedures vary per ASC and are subject to change. During the pandemic, I assume some might be even more strict than usual.

Yeah I'm aware.. 

Sucks! But gonna keep a positive look on it and hope for the best.

• 1 month later...
On 7/2/2020 at 2:13 AM, HRQX said:

Yes, because Application Support Centers (ASC) are still closed: https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/uscis-office-closings

Requirement is to be physically present in the US when you file the I-131. So you can leave right after your I-131 application is delivered to USCIS. Do you have someone that can open your mail from USCIS on your behalf? And would you be able to travel back to US if given (on average) a 3 week notice?

"You must be physically present in the United States when you file the application (Form I-131).  A re-entry permit may be sent to a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad for you to pick up, if you request it when you file your application.  Departure from the United States before a decision is made on a re-entry permit application does not affect the application." https://kr.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/re-entry-permit/

Don't you have to be in the US to give biometrics?

DISCLAIMER:

NOT A LAWYER.  ADVICE IS GENERAL IN NATURE.  CONSULT AN EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEY (OR MULTIPLE ATTORNEYS) REGARDING YOUR SPECIFIC CASE.

5 minutes ago, ProbeGT said:

Don't you have to be in the US to give biometrics?

Yes, but can leave after filing and return for biometrics. That is why I asked: "Do you have someone that can open your mail from USCIS on your behalf? And would you be able to travel back to US if given (on average) a 3 week notice?"

Edited by HRQX

On 7/2/2020 at 6:14 AM, Cewseww6 said:

Did they do your biometrics? How long did it take? I am in a similar situation. Waiting for my biometrics so I travel. They accepted everything on july 28. Thats what the website to check status says. 

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 8/19/2020 at 3:03 AM, Angie7 said:

Did they do your biometrics? How long did it take? I am in a similar situation. Waiting for my biometrics so I travel. They accepted everything on july 28. Thats what the website to check status says. 

Hey, sorry for the delayed answer!

I did get to leave my fingerprints, the office opened on the last day I was in the States, and I was lucky to get in on a walk-in.

On 7/2/2020 at 2:20 AM, fiskefillet said:

Hi, looking for recent processing times for reentry permits. Have read biometrics take 30-60 days, but perhaps there's a longer wait now due to COVID?

I am looking to be able to leave in september/october so trying to time my application it to be issued around then, as I understood that I am able to leave the US when my biometrics have been completed. please correct me if im wrong in any of this!

Hello,

i am filing for a reentry permit, may I please ask you what kind of evidence should you add to your application?

a part that a copy of your id and green card?

and how long did it take for you to get your biometrics done from the time you send the application?

thank you!

Timeline

I filed in the end of july and had hoped to get biometrics and all that done in september so I could have the wheels in motion. at this point I still havent heard anything, and I think I will have to change my plans and just stay put. I assume there is no way to ask uscis to refund me the application fee...?

but yes I just attached those two things

Timeline
11 hours ago, fiskefillet said:

I filed in the end of july and had hoped to get biometrics and all that done in september so I could have the wheels in motion. at this point I still havent heard anything, and I think I will have to change my plans and just stay put. I assume there is no way to ask uscis to refund me the application fee...?

but yes I just attached those two things

That sucks!

I haven't heard anything new since July. So we'll see... But we're moving back in November so I don't really need it now :)

And I doubt you can get the fee back. They state it's non-refundable and they probably need all the money they can right now.

On 7/2/2020 at 9:14 AM, Cewseww6 said:

hello!

after how long did you receive the notification that your application was received?

i sent mine a week ago and I did not receive any news yet...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.