Kaykay2019

Relating to CR1 petition

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, 

I first met my now fiancé in my home country, Sierra Leone June 2019, at that time I was married to my previous husband. It should be noted that I sponsored his AOS as we met and married while he was on a student visa. In total we were married for a little over 4 years before the divorce. I returned from my trip from Sierra Leone July 2019 and filed for divorce from my ex-husband due to marital issues and me being tired of fighting for our marriage alone. My ex husband and I officially divorced in September 2019, and I continued a long distance relationship with my now fiancé. I made plans and bought a ticket to visit him in April 2020; however the trip was cancelled due to COVID-19. I was planning to visit him this August 2020 as soon as international flight resumes for my country, but I am now reconsidering this plan as I would like to take the CR1 route due to factors of my fathers declining health and the prioritization of us citizens spouse and children visa and not knowing what the future holds with K1 visa processing. I am now planning to travel to Sierra Leone and get married to my now fiancé this December 2020, so at this point we will have no time spent except for the six weeks that I am planning to spend during my wedding trip. I do plan to file a CR1 visa as soon as I return from getting married and I plan on making trips to Sierra Leone at least twice a year until my then husband joins me in the US. With this being said, do I have a good chance of an approval based on your experiences this site? Thanks for your input 😊

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Personally I would advise you do a CR1 instead not just because of the prioritisation of spouses. Although it takes longer it is hardly refused..based on the peculiarities of your case (you met him while you still married) k1 might be tough....CR1 has no such requirements for number of times you have met...they just require than you both married in good faith and combine your resources ( which can be done from a distance) eg owning a property together or being on each other's life insurance etc.

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

24 minutes ago, Sparkle Sparkle said:

Personally I would advise you do a CR1 instead not just because of the prioritisation of spouses. Although it takes longer it is hardly refused..based on the peculiarities of your case (you met him while you still married) k1 might be tough....CR1 has no such requirements for number of times you have met...they just require than you both married in good faith and combine your resources ( which can be done from a distance) eg owning a property together or being on each other's life insurance etc.

Sounds great 👍🏽! Thanks a lot! I feel much better now knowing that there is no requirement on the amount of time spent before getting married. I have a lot of proof of ongoing relationship and talks with not just him but his siblings as well as him with my father and sister. But I was still worried about the part of not being together before marriage after our initial meeting in June. Thanks again 😊!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.