M.Dox

I-944 for Retired Parent

8 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hello all,

This is my first post here. I tried to find the answer and although I found similar situations, I did not get all the help I needed. My mum is with me in the US. I am a citizen. She arrived as a visitor from Nigeria, and a few weeks later, COVID shut down everything - cancelled flights, airports closed. No clue when that will change. That being the case, I've decided to file an AoS for her from her B-visa. Now I'm trying to gather everything needed. 

The main issue is the i944. 

My mum is in her seventies, retired about 15 years ago and hasn't been in school in eons. We own her home in Nigeria, and has been able to maintain herself over there from savings and with some help from us.

I will be supporting her financially here - I'm "comfortably" over the poverty line but in Cali...lol. I have the i864 prepared. She has a few medical conditions like diabetes  but it is very controlled, and has had a cancerous tumor removed before. 

• How do I deal with the insurance question? We are in California and someone mentioned that she can enroll for MediCal as a recent immigrant. Is that sufficient or possible?
    Every other search I did gave me quotes for medicare part B. Doesn't that imply that she will need Medicare Part A?
  • Her educational documents are going to be near impossible to recover. First, she doesn't even have them. Second, record-keeping in Nigeria is not great especially that far back, and inter-state travel is currently halted. What do I do in this situation?
  • Also, am I included in  her household on the i944? I am not being supported by her so my thought is No.

These are the main things I am struggling with. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you

Edited by M.Dox

Filed: Timeline

She is not will she ever be qualified for free Medicare A nor B. When she is here for 5 years she can buy into Medicare, which will likely be $700 a month. But Medicare only pays 80%, so will need an additional medigap policy. With her issues, maybe $400-$500 a month MORE. 

Once she gets her green card, she can get Medi-Cal in California. However, If you deduct her on your taxes as a dependent, she becomes part of your household. That means she won't qualify for Medi-Cal. So you will need to sacrifice the tax deduction and have her file her own taxes using her foreign income.

Another option is to use the foreign income, if it is over about $16,000 and have her sign onto Covered California ACA coverage. Costs vary with plan but are reasonable. This is way better insurance than Medi-Cal.

Note that as the sponsor, you can still be held responsible for many of her other medically related costs. 

Edited by databit

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband had to file for my mother in law in a similar situation as your mum. 

For the health insurance question she wrote: "I do  not have health insurance, my two American citizen sons take care of my medical expenses. I plan on enrolling in an health insurance plan once I receive a Social Security number. "

For the diplomas she does have some copies back home but we didnt have time with her I94 expiring and didnt want her to be out of status so we listed them without including copies.

For the money part, we listed just her available balance from her checking, she got a copy of her bank statement and her retirement pension, Showing she is receiving monthly income. She owns her home but didnt have the paperwork with her so we didnt list it.

You do not need to list yourself, remember we are talking about her household back home, she is not a PR yet so if she has to list whoever is living "officially" back home with her.

Her file was accepted and we got copies of her receipt by mail.

Feel free if you have other questions 

Good luck 

01/08/2018: Priority Date

01/19/2018: Checks cashed

01/22/2018: 3 NOA's received in Mail (I-130, I-485 and I-765)

02/09/201: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter scheduled for 02/22

02/10/2018: Email notification of RFIE :(

02/12/2018: Early walk-in for Biometrics, successful

02/16/2018: RFIE received for birth certificate and translation, sent back the same day

02/20/2018: RFIE response delivered, sent via Fedex

02/23/2018: Case status updated to RFIE response received

03/05/2018: Courtesy letter for I-693, medical exam received, letter dated Feb 28th

03/08/2018: AP application delivered by Fedex

03/19/2018: NOA for AP received in the mailbox

05/03/2018: AP ONLY approved (Approved in 56 days)

05/11/2018: AP received in Mail

05/21/2018: Email received,EAD card in production (Day 133)

05/22/2018: Interview scheduled

05/25/2018: EAD approval letter received in Mail

05/29/2018: EAD card and letter for interview (Jun.26th) both received in Mail, Woot woot :)

06/26/2018: Interview completed, now waiting for the magical email/letter...

10/30/2018: Went to Infopass, officer has not made a decision yet, an email was sent to him tell him I came to inquire

03/26/2019: Moved so updated our address online with USCIS

04/16/2019: I-130 petition approved

04/20/2019: approval notice received in the mail

04/22/2019: received notification of RFE for AOS I-485

06/01/2019: RFE finally received after being lost in the mail, asking for a new medical exam

06/06/2019: Response to RFE sent, received the next day 06/07/2019

06/17/2019: Received notification of another RFE, 3rd time will be the charm hopefully

06/22/2019: RFE received for new medical

07/02/2019: Went to doctor for new medical

07/11/2019: I-485 approved without new medical exam

07/18/2019: Green Card received in mail

9 hours ago, Nouchigang said:

My husband had to file for my mother in law in a similar situation as your mum. 

For the health insurance question she wrote: "I do  not have health insurance, my two American citizen sons take care of my medical expenses. I plan on enrolling in an health insurance plan once I receive a Social Security number. "

For the diplomas she does have some copies back home but we didnt have time with her I94 expiring and didnt want her to be out of status so we listed them without including copies.

For the money part, we listed just her available balance from her checking, she got a copy of her bank statement and her retirement pension, Showing she is receiving monthly income. She owns her home but didnt have the paperwork with her so we didnt list it.

You do not need to list yourself, remember we are talking about her household back home, she is not a PR yet so if she has to list whoever is living "officially" back home with her.

Her file was accepted and we got copies of her receipt by mail.

Feel free if you have other questions 

Good luck 

hello! I just writing because I am in the same situation I am so stress out because my dads I94 will expired on july 23, so as long if i sent everything before that date its ok? I have some questions about the forms if you can please help me I appreciate that: 

So I filed I130 on october 2019 for my dad and mom, but dad came alone with his tourist visa  on january 2020 (mom stay back home because has some stuff to get done) ... so american airlines cancel my dads ticket like three times because covid 19, on june 09/2020 we have the surprise of the I130 was approved.... so I was looking for option and of course adjustment of the status was the answer at this point.

Sorry if is to much to ask, is just the forms sometimes little confuse.

1. So i am going to file I864 for my dad, but because my income is not enough and also I always file taxes with my husband so with his income we will have enough to support my dad, so if I am correct i filed I864 and husband I864a? 

Questions form I864:

- On part 1. the box I have to choose will be 1a. I am the petitioner. I filed or I am filing for the immigration of my relative

- When they ask my income from the last three years, where and what line on my 1040 is the income that I have to listed?

-part 3. so I choose on 1. I am sponsoring the principal immigrant named in part 2. (which i listed my dad) and i put a X on yes...its correct? 

-part 3, 29.enter the total i just put 1 which is for my dad 

- part 6, on 7. they ask for my current individual annual income... that means my income so far for this year or what i make last year?

- part 5. sponsors household size I am attaching the picture what i answer, so i listed my dad fisrt and myself my husband and my son that will be total of 4.. on 7 OPTIONAL If you have siblings, parents or adults children with the same principal residence who are combining their income with yours submitting form I864A, enter the number here.... so as I mention before my husband will filed I864A, so I dont have to put one since i will be accounting my husband twice correct? 

I know is a lot and thank you so much for taking your time I just very stress getting everything ready.

form i864 one.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
18 hours ago, limema2018 said:

hello! I just writing because I am in the same situation I am so stress out because my dads I94 will expired on july 23, so as long if i sent everything before that date its ok? I have some questions about the forms if you can please help me I appreciate that: 

So I filed I130 on october 2019 for my dad and mom, but dad came alone with his tourist visa  on january 2020 (mom stay back home because has some stuff to get done) ... so american airlines cancel my dads ticket like three times because covid 19, on june 09/2020 we have the surprise of the I130 was approved.... so I was looking for option and of course adjustment of the status was the answer at this point.

Sorry if is to much to ask, is just the forms sometimes little confuse.

1. So i am going to file I864 for my dad, but because my income is not enough and also I always file taxes with my husband so with his income we will have enough to support my dad, so if I am correct i filed I864 and husband I864a? 

Questions form I864:

- On part 1. the box I have to choose will be 1a. I am the petitioner. I filed or I am filing for the immigration of my relative. Yes you choose 1a.

- When they ask my income from the last three years, where and what line on my 1040 is the income that I have to listed? No clue sorry its easier to use your W2, its lin box 1 for the W2. For 1040 according to Google its line 37

-part 3. so I choose on 1. I am sponsoring the principal immigrant named in part 2. (which i listed my dad) and i put a X on yes...its correct?  Yup correct

-part 3, 29.enter the total i just put 1 which is for my dad . Yup again its just your dad so 1

- part 6, on 7. they ask for my current individual annual income... that means my income so far for this year or what i make last year? You could put what your expected salary for the entire year 2020 but in this case you will need recent paycheks plus a letter of employment to show that income or you could use 2019, in this case you would use your w2 as proof. Your choice

- part 5. sponsors household size I am attaching the picture what i answer, so i listed my dad fisrt and myself my husband and my son that will be total of 4.. on 7 OPTIONAL If you have siblings, parents or adults children with the same principal residence who are combining their income with yours submitting form I864A, enter the number here.... so as I mention before my husband will filed I864A, so I dont have to put one since i will be accounting my husband twice correct?  This is my common sense answer, this wasnt used in my case so please create a thread to get a definite answer on this from other members that had similar situations. To me, I agree with you I would not put anything in 7. He is not a sibling nor parent and is already listed in question 3.

I know is a lot and thank you so much for taking your time I just very stress getting everything ready.

form i864 one.jpg

01/08/2018: Priority Date

01/19/2018: Checks cashed

01/22/2018: 3 NOA's received in Mail (I-130, I-485 and I-765)

02/09/201: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter scheduled for 02/22

02/10/2018: Email notification of RFIE :(

02/12/2018: Early walk-in for Biometrics, successful

02/16/2018: RFIE received for birth certificate and translation, sent back the same day

02/20/2018: RFIE response delivered, sent via Fedex

02/23/2018: Case status updated to RFIE response received

03/05/2018: Courtesy letter for I-693, medical exam received, letter dated Feb 28th

03/08/2018: AP application delivered by Fedex

03/19/2018: NOA for AP received in the mailbox

05/03/2018: AP ONLY approved (Approved in 56 days)

05/11/2018: AP received in Mail

05/21/2018: Email received,EAD card in production (Day 133)

05/22/2018: Interview scheduled

05/25/2018: EAD approval letter received in Mail

05/29/2018: EAD card and letter for interview (Jun.26th) both received in Mail, Woot woot :)

06/26/2018: Interview completed, now waiting for the magical email/letter...

10/30/2018: Went to Infopass, officer has not made a decision yet, an email was sent to him tell him I came to inquire

03/26/2019: Moved so updated our address online with USCIS

04/16/2019: I-130 petition approved

04/20/2019: approval notice received in the mail

04/22/2019: received notification of RFE for AOS I-485

06/01/2019: RFE finally received after being lost in the mail, asking for a new medical exam

06/06/2019: Response to RFE sent, received the next day 06/07/2019

06/17/2019: Received notification of another RFE, 3rd time will be the charm hopefully

06/22/2019: RFE received for new medical

07/02/2019: Went to doctor for new medical

07/11/2019: I-485 approved without new medical exam

07/18/2019: Green Card received in mail

Timeline

Thank you for the responses.

@databit, Thank you for the Medical / dependent information. I was not aware of that. I don't mind taking the tax hit of not declaring her when we get to that point. For now, I will try to find coverage for the intermediate period

I was not asking if she qualified for free Medicare. I am unsure about the difference between Medicare Part A and Part B. The quotes I was able to find specified Part B only, leaving me wondering where to buy part A. I think I will give Covered CA a call. Trying to get a quote online won't work because she is not a resident right now.

@Nouchigang and anyone else who knows,

I was looking at the part where she is to declare her household. Since she's been physically present with me for a while now, and I am supporting her, does that make me part of her household? We are trying to get copies of her statements - having so many businesses partly closed does not help :/ - so we may just do as you said and list the degrees while trying to figure out how to get the evidence in case it is requested.

Thanks again 

Timeline

Also @databit, 

Just to clarify - I can find coverage for her and then when she gets her green card she can switch to Medi-Cal?

I apologise if I'm being pedantic. I just want to make sure everything is in  order so we do not risk a rejection/denial. The pandemic is already stressful enough

Thanks 

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi everyone,

just an update on finding insurance. I called CoveredCA and they couldn't finish the application but referred me to some local agents. I spoke with one who said because of age, my mum would not qualify for CoveredCA so she contacted different networks/companies and was able to pull quotes for us from Kaiser, BlueShield and Oscar.

I had not heard of Oscar before but it's what we ended up going with since it looked decent. It's all expensive but Oscar less so than BlueShield. Oscar also doesn't need underwriting - she mentioned that but I'm not sure what it means...Also, because of COVID, enrollment is open now as opposed to the usual October.

So for anyone else looking, I'd advise that you call an agent (or two) and ask for direct quotes, and you will be able to find something.

God bless

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.