Meg123RD

USA Canada border

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone, hope you are all safe.

as you may know the Canadian and USA border is closed till June 21st (May have already been extended till July) but Trudeau was discussing allowing family members to travel.

he has only talked about Americans travelling into Canada, but what about the other way around. If I want to see my spouse it’s only possible for my to go to the USA rather than him come to Canada because of his work. 
does anyone know if they will be allowing Canadian family into American or is it just Americans coming to Canada?

thank you!

Timeline
3 hours ago, Meg123RD said:

Hello everyone, hope you are all safe.

as you may know the Canadian and USA border is closed till June 21st (May have already been extended till July) but Trudeau was discussing allowing family members to travel.

he has only talked about Americans travelling into Canada, but what about the other way around. If I want to see my spouse it’s only possible for my to go to the USA rather than him come to Canada because of his work. 
does anyone know if they will be allowing Canadian family into American or is it just Americans coming to Canada?

thank you!

Hi!

I think if your spouse is USC you may be allowed to cross the border (by air). I just came into the US last week to see my spouse. I flew from Toronto Pearson and they asked me the usual questions - where am I staying? Reason for my visit?, what I do in Canada? How long I plan to stay etc. Interestingly, for the first time, I was asked to show my return ticket which I also had and I was waved to go!

I just decided to try after reading about experiences on online. Also, the US Federal Register indicates that Air travel is not impacted by the border closure.

I hope this helps!

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Mzamour said:

Hi!

I think if your spouse is USC you may be allowed to cross the border (by air). I just came into the US last week to see my spouse. I flew from Toronto Pearson and they asked me the usual questions - where am I staying? Reason for my visit?, what I do in Canada? How long I plan to stay etc. Interestingly, for the first time, I was asked to show my return ticket which I also had and I was waved to go!

I just decided to try after reading about experiences on online. Also, the US Federal Register indicates that Air travel is not impacted by the border closure.

I hope this helps!

Oh wow really? 
what airline did you fly with

Timeline
Just now, Mzamour said:

Air Canada

Do you mind telling me what you’ve seen with other people’s experience? I didn’t know this was possible!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
39 minutes ago, Meg123RD said:

Do you mind telling me what you’ve seen with other people’s experience? I didn’t know this was possible!

I flew to the US may 20th with American Airlines, the land border, is closed, not air.

I was only asked normal questions.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Meg123RD said:

If you Google US-Canada border, there are some articles with stories /experiences of people crossing the border. I think I saw some other experiences on VJ too.

Timeline
4 hours ago, Zaraliaya said:

I flew to the US may 20th with American Airlines, the land border, is closed, not air.

I was only asked normal questions.

What was your airport experience like? Are the lines extra long

2 hours ago, Rachel F said:

The air border is open into the US for Canadian citizens. I’m flying next Thursday through Toronto.

Awesome wow I wish I knew this before. I’ll be going end of the month now through Pearson! :) tell me how the airport experience is like. I’m wondering if I should be extra early

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
49 minutes ago, Meg123RD said:

Awesome wow I wish I knew this before. I’ll be going end of the month now through Pearson! :) tell me how the airport experience is like. I’m wondering if I should be extra early

I’ll let you know! I’m a little nervous just because I’m on EI so it’s hard to prove that I intend to come back. Hoping it’s all fine though cause I have nexus! Will update next week. 😊

Timeline
1 hour ago, Rachel F said:

I’ll let you know! I’m a little nervous just because I’m on EI so it’s hard to prove that I intend to come back. Hoping it’s all fine though cause I have nexus! Will update next week. 😊

I’m in the same boat but I’ll have a return ticket so I’m not too worried. Never had a problem 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
12 hours ago, Meg123RD said:

Leaving from Montreal there was like no one in line. And there were no shops open, and more than half the gates were closed. It was really, really empty, and only 4 flights were on the board scheduled to leave.

As for customs, I was asked normal things, but since I'm staying in the US for like 3 months they asked more to prove I was coming back -- I can work remotely, and had a letter of employment just in case (they never asked for it), other than that though it was just regular questions.

The flight had everyone in their one seat (unless you were together with someone). Oh, you have to wear a mask to be let on, so make sure to bring one.

I kinda was ready to be told no though, cause it's really up to the customs guys to let you through. I was happy they let me though!

Edit: oh, I had a layover in a US state. COMPLETELY opposite, it was like a damn normal full airport, with things open, and a ton of people.

Edited by Zaraliaya

Timeline
3 hours ago, Zaraliaya said:

Leaving from Montreal there was like no one in line. And there were no shops open, and more than half the gates were closed. It was really, really empty, and only 4 flights were on the board scheduled to leave.

As for customs, I was asked normal things, but since I'm staying in the US for like 3 months they asked more to prove I was coming back -- I can work remotely, and had a letter of employment just in case (they never asked for it), other than that though it was just regular questions.

The flight had everyone in their one seat (unless you were together with someone). Oh, you have to wear a mask to be let on, so make sure to bring one.

I kinda was ready to be told no though, cause it's really up to the customs guys to let you through. I was happy they let me though!

Edit: oh, I had a layover in a US state. COMPLETELY opposite, it was like a damn normal full airport, with things open, and a ton of people.

I’m nervous already flying and being turned away but I’ve never had an issue so i think I’ll try end of June! Thanks so much for telling me how it went. I can go to either Pearson or Montreal and my final destination is in nyc. Not the smartest place to go but I’ve been away from my husband for too long. 
i wish I would’ve known this sooner! We didn’t get to be together for our anniversary because I thought I wasn’t allowed. Even did the research and didn’t know this was possible

Timeline
17 hours ago, Rachel F said:

Can you still get EI if you leave canada? I thought you had to be in Canada and willing to work to collect 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, MWhite said:

Can you still get EI if you leave canada? I thought you had to be in Canada and willing to work to collect 

No you can’t collect EI. I’m just saying I’ll have to say I’m unemployed. The EI pauses while you’re gone (they know from the biweekly report you fill out) and you can restart it when you get back. I confirmed with someone I know who works in the EI office.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.