ethngd

RFIE for joint sponsor tax documents

4 posts in this topic

I've just recevied the first RFIE on my I-485. It basically says that they couldn't determine if my joint sponsor is qualified based on the evidence that I submitted, and also request my joint sponsor to submit all supporting tax documents for the most recent tax year, eventhough I submitted his 2019 W2, 1040 and all its schedules.
So, in the year of 2019, my uncle (joint sponsor) had only a small amount of income from working for a company (W-2 income). The majority of his income is from businesses with my aunt as a joint owner, the income is shown in Form 1040 Schdule C, D, etc. When I submitted his I-864, I didn't include my aunt assuming that it's not necessary. They filed tax return jointly so all their tax documents are under both names.

Is it the possible reason that I got RFIE'd? I'm planing to put down my aunt in the I-864 form as well as submit Form I-864A to include her income.

Here is what I submitted to USCIS:

- My 2019 W-2 and 1040.

- My wife's 2019 W2 and a letter explains that she isn't required to file tax. But she ended up filing it anyway so we can submit a copy of Form 1040 this time.

- Joint sponsor/My uncle's 2019 tax return copies including W-2, Form 1040 and all its schedule sections, his 2018 and 2017 tax return transcipts.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
5 hours ago, ethngd said:

I've just recevied the first RFIE on my I-485. It basically says that they couldn't determine if my joint sponsor is qualified based on the evidence that I submitted, and also request my joint sponsor to submit all supporting tax documents for the most recent tax year, eventhough I submitted his 2019 W2, 1040 and all its schedules.
So, in the year of 2019, my uncle (joint sponsor) had only a small amount of income from working for a company (W-2 income). The majority of his income is from businesses with my aunt as a joint owner, the income is shown in Form 1040 Schdule C, D, etc. When I submitted his I-864, I didn't include my aunt assuming that it's not necessary. They filed tax return jointly so all their tax documents are under both names.

Is it the possible reason that I got RFIE'd? I'm planing to put down my aunt in the I-864 form as well as submit Form I-864A to include her income.

Here is what I submitted to USCIS:

- My 2019 W-2 and 1040.

- My wife's 2019 W2 and a letter explains that she isn't required to file tax. But she ended up filing it anyway so we can submit a copy of Form 1040 this time.

- Joint sponsor/My uncle's 2019 tax return copies including W-2, Form 1040 and all its schedule sections, his 2018 and 2017 tax return transcipts.

If your joint sponsor filed a joint return and you only sent a 864 for him, you need evidence to support that his income alone is enough. You said the w2 showed a low income so there's no way to determine if the rest of the income is from his or his spouse. Since they both own the business, I would just send a 864a for her.

Edited by Ayrton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

@ethngd

A joint tax return lumps all the income together. The only income they could verify belonged to Uncle was the amount on his W2, which probably didn’t qualify him as making enough to be your sponsor. He would have to qualify on his own. But he can add Aunt to his I-864 as a household member (See page 4, Person 1). Then add his and hers for item 20 on page 5. That total household income should match what is on the Tax return Form 1040, Line 7b Total Income

Divide it out between his and her income as best you can. 

Aunt will fill out an I-864a that she agrees to let Uncle use her income on his I-864 toward the support. 

11 hours ago, Ayrton said:

If your joint sponsor filed a joint return and you only sent a 864 for him, you need evidence to support that his income alone is enough. You said the w2 showed a low income so there's no way to determine if the rest of the income is from his or his spouse. Since they both own the business, I would just send a 864a for her.

10 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

@ethngd

A joint tax return lumps all the income together. The only income they could verify belonged to Uncle was the amount on his W2, which probably didn’t qualify him as making enough to be your sponsor. He would have to qualify on his own. But he can add Aunt to his I-864 as a household member (See page 4, Person 1). Then add his and hers for item 20 on page 5. That total household income should match what is on the Tax return Form 1040, Line 7b Total Income

Divide it out between his and her income as best you can. 

Aunt will fill out an I-864a that she agrees to let Uncle use her income on his I-864 toward the support. 

Thank you for replying. And it makes sense to me now. I was able to figure out their individual income by going through their Tax return. Hope this satisfies the USCIS.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.