H & T

NBI Clearance - Do I need an AKA even if I'm keeping my maiden name?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

POLICE REPORT. Applicants aged 16 years and older must have a valid Philippine police (NBI) clearance from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). For immigration purposes, an NBI clearance is valid for one year from the date of issuance.

• Please note that an NBI Clearance with an AKA is also required. Police clearances should be in the applicant’s current name, birth certificate name, maiden name, married name, and any aliases or nicknames ever used, including different spellings of all names that may have appeared on other civil documents (e.g., birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc.), even if these names or spellings have never been routinely used. Please refer to the NBI website http://www.nbi.gov.ph for additional information. You may request NBI to directly submit your NBI clearance to the US Embassy (recommended) here: https://clearance.nbi.gov.ph/.
  • Police Clearance from other countries: Applicants who have stayed for one (1) year or more upon reaching the age of 16 years are required to obtain a police certificate. Country-specific information on how to secure foreign police certificates is available at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country.html

https://ph.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/family-based-immigration/the-interview/

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Hi Hank, thanks for the reply! I have read this, thus the question. While non-traditional, my married name is the same as my maiden name so I was wondering if an AKA with my husband's surname which doesn't appear on any legal documents is required. Anyway, I might try to call the embassy to be sure.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, H & T said:

Hi Hank, thanks for the reply! I have read this, thus the question. While non-traditional, my married name is the same as my maiden name so I was wondering if an AKA with my husband's surname which doesn't appear on any legal documents is required. Anyway, I might try to call the embassy to be sure.

AKA means "also known as".  If you never used or were know by that name then it won't be needed.

YMMV

Timeline
On 5/11/2020 at 7:47 PM, H & T said:

If you have never used a different name, then an AKA shouldn't be needed.   Embassy may wonder on this .. traditional ways of the Philippines so don't be surprised.

It costs nothing extra to add the AKA for married name to the NBI even if you have never used it .. it would remove all doubt and avert a possible delay after the interview.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

20 hours ago, Hank_ said:

If you have never used a different name, then an AKA shouldn't be needed.   Embassy may wonder on this .. traditional ways of the Philippines so don't be surprised.

It costs nothing extra to add the AKA for married name to the NBI even if you have never used it .. it would remove all doubt and avert a possible delay after the interview.

I understand and that makes sense. We are currently in the NVC stage and unfortunately, with COVID, NBI is not currently processing clearances and I happen to have an NBI clearance about two months old with just my maiden name. I was wondering if I should submit that and risk it, or wait however long so I can get an NBI Clearance with an AKA for my husband's surname, thus the question. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, H & T said:

I understand and that makes sense. We are currently in the NVC stage and unfortunately, with COVID, NBI is not currently processing clearances and I happen to have an NBI clearance about two months old with just my maiden name. I was wondering if I should submit that and risk it, or wait however long so I can get an NBI Clearance with an AKA for my husband's surname, thus the question. 

I do understand.

Logic says the embassy shouldn't ask for the AKA  being you have never used a different name.     You are out very little at this time to submit what you have.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.