anxious alpaca

Are DCF under exceptional circumstances still being processed now?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanguina/2020/05/05/coronavirus-layoffs-are-impacting-safe-jobs/#622e4b7c3e17

Sadly the Healthcare Industry has been particularly badly impacted by the COVID thingy, lots of people have lost their jobs.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, David and Anna said:

Thank you for the reply.  In fact, that is pretty much the "exception" reason I'm looking for.  My fiance (not married yet) is an MD and we are attempting to check into the potential to use that exception to get to the USA sooner.  The London embassy has replied to my emails saying that they are not even doing emergency visa's at the moment.  No idea if that is fact or if it varies from embassy to embassy (I suspect it does).  I will send you a pm later to ask a few questions about your circumstances.  Thanks again.

Good luck to you both. I'm an MD too, and this whole situation has been especially difficult for people who have just Matched and are waiting to start at residency programs around the country. I remember coming across this statement a month ago: (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/update-on-h-and-j-visas-for-medical-professionals.html)

Medical professionals with an approved U.S. non-immigrant or immigrant visa petition (I-129 or I-140 with a current priority date, or similar) or a certificate of eligibility in an approved exchange visitor program (DS-2019), particularly those working to treat or mitigate the effects of COVID-19, should review the website of their nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for procedures to request an emergency visa appointment.  Local government restrictions may limit the ability of some embassies/consulates to process emergency visas at this time.  Applicants' travel may also be subject to local laws, regulations, and travel restrictions.

Based on that statement, I would have thought that once your I-130 (or similar) petition was approved, you would be be able to book an appointment ASAP. A few friends of mine are supposed to be starting on H1B or J1 visas, but haven't heard anything from their programs yet.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline
2 minutes ago, os306 said:

Good luck to you both. I'm an MD too, and this whole situation has been especially difficult for people who have just Matched and are waiting to start at residency programs around the country. I remember coming across this statement a month ago: (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/update-on-h-and-j-visas-for-medical-professionals.html)

Medical professionals with an approved U.S. non-immigrant or immigrant visa petition (I-129 or I-140 with a current priority date, or similar) or a certificate of eligibility in an approved exchange visitor program (DS-2019), particularly those working to treat or mitigate the effects of COVID-19, should review the website of their nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for procedures to request an emergency visa appointment.  Local government restrictions may limit the ability of some embassies/consulates to process emergency visas at this time.  Applicants' travel may also be subject to local laws, regulations, and travel restrictions.

Based on that statement, I would have thought that once your I-130 (or similar) petition was approved, you would be be able to book an appointment ASAP. A few friends of mine are supposed to be starting on H1B or J1 visas, but haven't heard anything from their programs yet.

That is exactly the statement I found...

I recall reading or hearing someplace that incoming residents are priority one to ensure they still get into the country and start.  Have you contacted your residency program leadership for help?  

Even aside from this problem, I'd love to get in touch and get some advice and benefit from your experience as an FMG (I presume?) now going into residency in the USA.  My fiance is just starting to sort out what is needed there (she is a doc in the UK, but wants to do the "start over" and get sit USMLE and get into a residency so she can ultimately practice in the USA).  I'll send you a PM...

2 minutes ago, David and Anna said:

That is exactly the statement I found...

I recall reading or hearing someplace that incoming residents are priority one to ensure they still get into the country and start.  Have you contacted your residency program leadership for help?  

Even aside from this problem, I'd love to get in touch and get some advice and benefit from your experience as an FMG (I presume?) now going into residency in the USA.  My fiance is just starting to sort out what is needed there (she is a doc in the UK, but wants to do the "start over" and get sit USMLE and get into a residency so she can ultimately practice in the USA).  I'll send you a PM...

Sure, feel free to send me a PM. More than happy to provide some advice. 

17 minutes ago, os306 said:

Thank you for this link! I'll quote this when I email the consulate again and see if I can get an emergency visa this way.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.