4 posts in this topic

Hey all~

I am currently compiling evidence for my I-864, and due to Covid-19 related delays was unable to procure my most recent tax transcript and running out of time to send the packet. I have attached my 1040 form as an interim until I can get the official transcript in the mail, which I will be bringing to the interview. I am now curious about the need to attach my W-2's. From the instructions it says it is only necessary if you have photocopies rather than official transcripts, but I cannot find them for the life of me. Do you think it will present a problem to leave them out for the 2019 financial year and bring them to the interview if I can find them?

TIA

Edit: I should mention that my mother is co-sponsoring and we have plenty of financial information for her. I don't know if that means my form is less weighted because of it or not.

Edited by ameliar

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

I believe if you submit the 1040, the w2 is required. It's not required for tax transcripts. You could go ahead and use the 2018 transcript instead, since it's still valid as "most recent tax year" due to the tax filing extension.

2 minutes ago, Quarknase said:

I believe if you submit the 1040, the w2 is required. It's not required for tax transcripts. You could go ahead and use the 2018 transcript instead, since it's still valid as "most recent tax year" due to the tax filing extension.

Ah okay thank you. That leaves me in a bit of a pickle then, especially as in 2018 I did not meet the income threshold required to file, so I don't have a return for that year. I will keep searching. Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, ameliar said:

Ah okay thank you. That leaves me in a bit of a pickle then, especially as in 2018 I did not meet the income threshold required to file, so I don't have a return for that year. I will keep searching. Thank you!

If you do not include your tax info which is a

• transcript or
  • complete tax return (photocopy of every page of your return PLUS W2 or 1099 wage statements)

then they won’t even look at your joint sponsors information. They will RFE you with some vague verbiage saying your joint sponsor doesn’t qualify. It’s because you the primary sponsor didn’t get your part correct, so they stop right there.

Solution: If you sign the I-864 and submit it before July 15, 2020 then your most recent tax return can be 2018 because 2019 is not due yet. The instructions say if you were not required to file, you must give a reason why not. It can be very simple and stuck in behind your I-864 in lieu of providing a tax return. 

—————-

STATEMENT CONCERNING TAX RETURNS

In 2018, I earned $1234.56 which was below the filing threshold of $12,000 for a single tax payer.

I did not file a tax return in 2018.

Signature and date 

Typed name

———————-

Now without a tax return, whatever you put as your current income needs to be proven with an employer letter or six months of pay stubs (Per the instructions). You can’t just give an income and they have no tax return to reference or the optional employer letter or pay stubs.

Doing  that should meet your basic requirements so they will go on to evaluate your joint sponsor’s submission. Don’t forget she has to include proof she is a US citizen or LPR besides her most recent tax return or transcript. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.