bobjennyhitched

I emigrated 26-04-2020 UK-US

29 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, jennywhite421 said:

I'm not sure how

Same as me except I came from the UK. Can you get direct flights or can you fly via the UK? The UK has quarantine rules now you might have to look into them. Sorry I can't help as I'm not sure what's happening in Mauritius.

I have only 2 flight from Mauritius either Paris or London. And my final destination will be San Francisco. 

7 minutes ago, Vani & Henry said:

I have only 2 flight from Mauritius either Paris or London. And my final destination will be San Francisco. 

London Heathrow would be my choice, but check the quarantine rules coming from Mauritius to the UK, also check for any visas you may need to transit in the UK.

wpid-1030ldr.gif

16 minutes ago, jennywhite421 said:

London Heathrow would be my choice, but check the quarantine rules coming from Mauritius to the UK, also check for any visas you may need to transit in the UK.

Mauritian don't need visa for UK and Paris. I will wait 1st of July then book my ticket as  France will open up their border so there might be more options to travel. 

1 hour ago, Vani & Henry said:

I have a IR1 visa which got approved in March but due to lockdown I couldn't travel. My husband is a US citizen tho 

I have CR-1 approved March and UKC I’m flying BA 1st July Glasgow - Heathrow then AA Heathrow - Chicago 2nd July and finally to Cleveland. This was my 6th cancellation.

BA were pretty hopeless, it took me to suggest fly BA the day prior stay at hotel then fly American .. BA were cancelling their Atlantic flights every other day.

Trying times for all.

11 minutes ago, MrAlba said:

I have CR-1 approved March and UKC I’m flying BA 1st July Glasgow - Heathrow then AA Heathrow - Chicago 2nd July and finally to Cleveland. This was my 6th cancellation.

BA were pretty hopeless, it took me to suggest fly BA the day prior stay at hotel then fly American .. BA were cancelling their Atlantic flights every other day.

Trying times for all.

Fingers crossed! I flew United on their government backed route from LHR-EWR-DEN. We figured if we could at least get into the US and emigrate, if anything else messed up, we had relatives out that way. I hope all goes well!

wpid-1030ldr.gif

15 minutes ago, jennywhite421 said:

Fingers crossed! I flew United on their government backed route from LHR-EWR-DEN. We figured if we could at least get into the US and emigrate, if anything else messed up, we had relatives out that way. I hope all goes well!

👍 So you settled a little?

I wanted to avoid EWR to be honest so decide ORD was best and if needs must hire and drive to CLE. I have about 1.5hrs layover so hopefully enough time to clear immigration.

The upheaval is almost over 😊

18 hours ago, MrAlba said:

👍 So you settled a little?

I wanted to avoid EWR to be honest so decide ORD was best and if needs must hire and drive to CLE. I have about 1.5hrs layover so hopefully enough time to clear immigration.

The upheaval is almost over 😊

Yeah, I just got my Green Card on Saturday and should receive my SSN soon (had an appointment). For me it took about 40 mins to clear but it was quiet due to the lack of people travelling. The domestic flights aren't that restricted, but everyone wears a mask. They weren't serving alcohol on the flights when I flew :( just so you know lol if you fancied a drink en-route

wpid-1030ldr.gif

On 6/30/2020 at 3:52 AM, jennywhite421 said:

Yeah, I just got my Green Card on Saturday and should receive my SSN soon (had an appointment). For me it took about 40 mins to clear but it was quiet due to the lack of people travelling. The domestic flights aren't that restricted, but everyone wears a mask. They weren't serving alcohol on the flights when I flew :( just so you know lol if you fancied a drink en-route

That was a painless process. I cleared immigration in about 10 mins. Walked off plane straight to primary, taken to CDC for temp check and Covid questions, then to secondary where I sat for 2 mins and got cleared.

How long did it take to get your green card? Did you make an appointment to get SSN?

Im driving on UK license for now but would like to get OH licences ASAP and according to the web I need a SSN. I’d also like to start looking for work which I think I’d need an SSN for.

Just bought some power tools gonna spend my idle time doing much needed repairs around the house.

Hope you’re settling in 😊

14 hours ago, MrAlba said:

That was a painless process. I cleared immigration in about 10 mins. Walked off plane straight to primary, taken to CDC for temp check and Covid questions, then to secondary where I sat for 2 mins and got cleared.

How long did it take to get your green card? Did you make an appointment to get SSN?

Im driving on UK license for now but would like to get OH licences ASAP and according to the web I need a SSN. I’d also like to start looking for work which I think I’d need an SSN for.

Just bought some power tools gonna spend my idle time doing much needed repairs around the house.

Hope you’re settling in 😊

I gutted the house cleaning it when I got here. Lol.

It took 9 weeks for my Green Card and 10 weeks for my SSN, do you have a job to go to? It seems in Colorado they were only taking urgent appointments. I started calling after 4 weeks.

I'm not driving as my husband can't get me on the insurance until I have my CO drivers licence. Now I have to learn the theory as it's not a straight conversion here boo :(

wpid-1030ldr.gif

4 hours ago, jennywhite421 said:

I gutted the house cleaning it when I got here. Lol.

It took 9 weeks for my Green Card and 10 weeks for my SSN, do you have a job to go to? It seems in Colorado they were only taking urgent appointments. I started calling after 4 weeks.

I'm not driving as my husband can't get me on the insurance until I have my CO drivers licence. Now I have to learn the theory as it's not a straight conversion here boo :(

Oh no I hope mine arrives before 10 weeks (thanks for the tip I’ll call them). I don’t have a job to go to and even with 45 million unemployed I’m still hopeful. I’m not immediately fussy I’ll do whatever till I find my feet and get back to my usual skill set. I’ll go bat crazy sitting at home for 10 weeks just had 12 weeks Covid shutdown in UK!

I assume it’s different in CO to OH for driving as I can drive under my wife’s insurance without notifying the company. I think I only have 30 days as a LPR whereas as a tourist I could for a year. I don’t want to give up my UK licence so will do the DMV theory and practical.

Good luck and thanks for your reply.

2 hours ago, MrAlba said:

Oh no I hope mine arrives before 10 weeks (thanks for the tip I’ll call them). I don’t have a job to go to and even with 45 million unemployed I’m still hopeful. I’m not immediately fussy I’ll do whatever till I find my feet and get back to my usual skill set. I’ll go bat crazy sitting at home for 10 weeks just had 12 weeks Covid shutdown in UK!

I assume it’s different in CO to OH for driving as I can drive under my wife’s insurance without notifying the company. I think I only have 30 days as a LPR whereas as a tourist I could for a year. I don’t want to give up my UK licence so will do the DMV theory and practical.

Good luck and thanks for your reply.

No problem. I see a lot of restaurants and fast food places advertising for staff here, but I started pestering the SSA at about 3 weeks after immigration. 

wpid-1030ldr.gif

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 7:08 PM, MrAlba said:

Thanks for that. Enjoy your new home 😀

I’m flying early June Glasgow - Heathrow - Chicago - Cleveland so info very useful.

Excited!

Did you get to the US? I thought I'd check in :)

wpid-1030ldr.gif

5 hours ago, MrAlba said:

Oh yes about 10 or so days ago. I think I replied to this thread already.

Hope you and your are happy and well.

You too! Glad you got over there!!

wpid-1030ldr.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.