Nele

Permanent Resident - Applying for unemployment - affect case?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all safe and well!

Like many, I lost my job due to Covid and am looking to file for unemployment benefits.

My work situation is a bit odd: I left a (toxic) W2 job in February, to start at a start-up company a week later, as an independent contractor. One week into the start-up company job, the owner undergoes a massive loss and dissolves my job. Three weeks after that, i'm in my 3rd round of interviews at a company I already had a relationship with, this was as good as a sure deal. Covid happens, job put on hold. Now here we are, unemployed.

My question: will applying for unemployment affect my citizenship application? I know we sign wavers saying we won't become a liability to the State, does that include unemployment? I'm not exactly sure how it all works. 

Thank you!

03/02/2015: filed I-129F at the USCIS Texas

03/13/2015: received confirmation (Form I-797), file will now get routed to the USCIS California Service Center for processing. We wait :)

Unemployment is not a public charge issue, sop no impact on I90 renewal, ROC, naturalization, etc. It's a program that you and/or your employer pays into and you earn benefits from, akin to an insurance policy.

Whether you qualify for your state's UC program or not, or the pandemic unemployment assistance (PUA) is a different question. Apply with your state and find out.

The main issue is you left your last W2 job voluntarily, and were self-employed, even if briefly, after that. under normal circumstances - at least in the states I can think of - that would likely disqualify you from UC. But with PUA and special circumstances in states, that may not be the case here.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.