ColombianoGringo

Changing Jobs/Careers : Effects on K-3

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I am about to start the K-3 process to bring my new wife to the US.

My problem is that I am considering a career change. I recently started a new company with a friend of mine. The main problem is that although I currently have a great job making lots of cash, it is interfering with my ability to spend time developing the new company. I am considering the option of taking a job with my new business partner in a company he already runs. I would have a full-time job with a set salary. However, this would give me lots more time to focus on the new business. Also, the job requires a lot of travel, but would also make it easier to get away for quick trips to Colombia to see my wife.

How would this affect the chances of getting my wife's K-3 approved. There would be no problem with meeting the minimum income guidelines for support. I just worry that the change in jobs might cause RFEs, slowdowns, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

CG

Edited by ColombianoGringo

Married: June 11, 2007 - San Andres Isla, Colombia

I-130

7/27/2007 - Sent I-130 Package to TSC*

7/30/2007 - Received by TSC

8/28/2007 - NOA-1 date - CSC

3/19/2008 - NOA2 date -CSC

I-130 held by USCIS for future AOS

I-129F

7/27/2007 - Sent I-129F Package to TSC*

8/30/2007 - NOA-1 - Fee waived

3/19/2008 - NOA2

4/3/2008 - Received by NVC

4/10/2008 - Received by embassy

4/11/2008 - Faxed packet 3 forms to embassy

4/30/2008 - Appointment date assigned

6/19/2008 - Appointment at Bogota Embassy - APPROVED!!!

No touches except when I called CSC directly to inquire.

8/28/2008 - POE Houston

Still being lazy and waiting to do AOS.

*I-130 and I-129F sent together to TSC per USCIS instructions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Should cause no problem, as long as you can provide info that job is steady, fulltime work, like a letter from employer attached to the I-134 that you will submit for the visa interview, you should have no problems at all.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

If you have enough income to show to sponsor your wife, your new job will not have any impact.

My problem is that I am considering a career change. I recently started a new company with a friend of mine. The main problem is that although I currently have a great job making lots of cash, it is interfering with my ability to spend time developing the new company. I am considering the option of taking a job with my new business partner in a company he already runs. I would have a full-time job with a set salary. However, this would give me lots more time to focus on the new business. Also, the job requires a lot of travel, but would also make it easier to get away for quick trips to Colombia to see my wife.

How would this affect the chances of getting my wife's K-3 approved. There would be no problem with meeting the minimum income guidelines for support. I just worry that the change in jobs might cause RFEs, slowdowns, etc.

Thanks,

CG

Edited by simple_male

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

You don't even need to mention the change. Your job doesn't come up in any discussion or paperwork until interview time and sometimes not even then. Just provide an I-134 and supporting documentation to your wife shortly before her interview. She may not even be asked for it.

If you have enough income to show to sponsor your wife, your new job will not have any impact.

Thanks,

CG

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
You don't even need to mention the change. Your job doesn't come up in any discussion or paperwork until interview time and sometimes not even then. Just provide an I-134 and supporting documentation to your wife shortly before her interview. She may not even be asked for it.

Thanks,

CG

We've got a similar problem - I lost my job. I think I'll have one by the time (it's so slow) the visa arrives, but I believe you can also have it be asset based as well as income based.

I-130

2007-03-04 I-130 NOA1

2007-06-08 Touched

2007-06-26 My congressman spoke with CSC who reported our new offical receipt date is May 1st

2007-06-08 Touched!

2007-08-01 Faxed Expedite Request to USCIS

2007-08-01 Touch - did they get it? Is it the Request, or is it my time?

2007-08-02 Touch

2007-08-06 Touch

2007-09-04 Touch - call from My congressman's office. It's in "extended review"

2007-09-17 Touch - My congressman Called

2007-09-18 Touch

2007-09-19 Now we're the last of the march filers!

2007-09-25 Touch - So what?

2007-10-01 Touch

2007-10-02 APPROVED!!!

I-129F

2007-03-30 I-129F NOA1

2007-04-17 I-129F transfered to California Service Center

2007-04-23 Congressman wrote to CSC

2007-06-01 Congressman reports application normal

2007-06-08 Touched

2007-06-12 Called USCIS. Clerk said it's being processed and gave standard response times

2007-06-26 My congressman spoke with the CSC who reported our new offical receipt date is now May 1st

2007-06-08 Touch

2007-07-05 Touch

2007-07-06 Touch

2007-08-01 Touch

2007-08-02 Touch

2007-08-06 Touch

2007-08-12 Touch (on a sunday?)

2007-08-13 Touch - is something really happening? It's about time

2007-08-19 Touch - from my call on 08-17

2007-09-04 Touch - call from My congressman's office. It's in "extended review"

2007-10-01 Touch

2007-10-02 APPROVED!!!

2007-12-19 Wife and Kids Arrived!

2008-12-08 Green Card Interview - Finally we're done.

Timeline

Thanks for the info folks. The income requirements would not be a problem. I am not about to take a pay cut, but I just want to avoid causing any delays in the K-3.

You know what's funny is that my wife says she worries about being a drain on our finances as she won't be able to work for a while once she comes here. I just laugh and explain to her that the cost of having a wife here is a hell of a lot cheaper than having a girlfriend in another country. Heck, I was spending $200-300 a month on long distance alone before I found a company that gives me unlimited calls to Colombian land lines for a set monthly fee. On top of that, the cost of going to visit her every few months is outrageous.

Thanks again,

CG

I-130

I-129F

3/19/2008 - NOA2

8/28/2008 - POE Houston

Thanks for the info folks. The income requirements would not be a problem. I am not about to take a pay cut, but I just want to avoid causing any delays in the K-3.

You know what's funny is that my wife says she worries about being a drain on our finances as she won't be able to work for a while once she comes here. I just laugh and explain to her that the cost of having a wife here is a hell of a lot cheaper than having a girlfriend in another country. Heck, I was spending $200-300 a month on long distance alone before I found a company that gives me unlimited calls to Colombian land lines for a set monthly fee. On top of that, the cost of going to visit her every few months is outrageous.

Thanks again,

CG

Plus cost of living with your wife is priceless.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Timeline

I got to tell ya. This illustrates one of the reasons I love her. I had gone out with plenty of girls in Colombia. Because of where my family lives (Northern Bogota and Poblado in Medellin) they were mostly little rich girls who had lived on daddy's dime their whole lives. Most were just looking for a husband to take daddy's place.

However, although she lives with her middle class parents, she works full-time, goes to school at night and helps her family out. It really bothers her that she won't be able to "pull her own weight" over here. Even though we shouldn't have any financial problems, I appreciate the fact that she wants to contribute to our livelihood.

I-130

I-129F

3/19/2008 - NOA2

8/28/2008 - POE Houston

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

LOL! That's hilarious. I'm also spending $200-$300 monthly in long distance calls through Skype, plus the occasional trip. However, I'm not paying rent right now, so having her here won't be cheaper for me hehe.

Regarding unlimited calls to Colombian land lines, I think you're talking about El Telefono Rojo. I'm living with my parents until my wife arrives, and they've had it for quite a while. I love it. Not only is it cheaper but the quality is at least 90% better. I don't know why I never got my own account. :oops: Probably cuz I'd have to buy another phone and ATA box and/or complicate the set up we have now. Damn it! I'd be saving over $200 a month. It's probably not too late to start now anyway. :bonk: That's it, I'm calling them tomorrow.

Thanks again,

CG

Naturalization Timeline:

Jan. 03, 2020 - N-400 filed online

Jan. 23, 2020 - Biometrics appointment

Apr. 08, 2020 - Interview scheduled

I lift up my eyes to the hills—

where does my help come from?

My help comes from the LORD,

the Maker of heaven and earth.

Timeline

I'm glad for you. Likewise, my wife never expected me to support her financially when we were dating. But with a baby on the way, I told her it was fine to stay home with the baby at least until he is ready for kindergarten. She had a tough time accepting this, as she did not want to feel useless. After a couple of months speaking with her mom and mine, she now knows she'll be far from useless.

It's ironic how most people around us (i.e. friends, family, coworkers) expect her to arrive here and straight to the mall to get a job in a store or the foodcourt, while someone takes care of the baby (if not day care). We want the exact opposite. Why do people have to get into other people's business? Oh well, we ignore them.

In a near future, she would also like to "contribute to our livelihood." I tell her to finish college first, we'll manage thanks to God.

I got to tell ya. This illustrates one of the reasons I love her. I had gone out with plenty of girls in Colombia. Because of where my family lives (Northern Bogota and Poblado in Medellin) they were mostly little rich girls who had lived on daddy's dime their whole lives. Most were just looking for a husband to take daddy's place.

However, although she lives with her middle class parents, she works full-time, goes to school at night and helps her family out. It really bothers her that she won't be able to "pull her own weight" over here. Even though we shouldn't have any financial problems, I appreciate the fact that she wants to contribute to our livelihood.

Naturalization Timeline:

Timeline

Neophi

Hate to go off topic, but if you are paying that much, you might want to look into CrossFone.com and their RapiFone service. It provides "unlimited" calls to any land line in Colombia. In reality there are limits. Here is the breakdown.

Home Plan

Up to 1,500 to 2,000 minutes a month to any land line(residential or business) in Colombia

$35/month.

Business Plan

Up to 4,000 minutes a month to any land line(residential or business) in Colombia

$89/month.

I have the Business Plan because I talk to my wife a lot and I also have a ton of relatives in Colombia. It has also come in handy when making calls related to trips, our wedding, etc. I highly recommend it.

It doesn't require any special equipment. I can call from home, my office or my cell phone. You simply register your numbers with them and you don't even have to remember a PIN. They also let you register speed dial numbers. So you just call their local access number, punch in your two digit speed dial code and you are connected.

Peace,

CG

Edited by ColombianoGringo

I-130

I-129F

3/19/2008 - NOA2

8/28/2008 - POE Houston

Timeline

Thanks for the info!

Naturalization Timeline:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Oh man I had the worst experience with Crossfone. I hate them. I even went off on a poor phone rep once which I never do. I canceled back in March and they are still charging me monthly no matter how many faxes and e-mails I've sent them regarding the issue. :ranting:

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

Wow, that blows. I'll have to evaluate the two and decide.

Oh man I had the worst experience with Crossfone. I hate them. I even went off on a poor phone rep once which I never do. I canceled back in March and they are still charging me monthly no matter how many faxes and e-mails I've sent them regarding the issue. :ranting:

Naturalization Timeline:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.