IdAuHunter

EAD but no Social Security Number?

3 posts in this topic

Background: My wife arrived on a K1 visa in October. Married in November and submitted the Adjustment of Status, Employment Authorization and Advanced Parole forms (I-485, I-765, I-131). We self-filed all along the way with success thanks to the great info here. 

The EAD/Advanced Parole combo card arrived for my wife and stepdaughter almost a month ago. The Green Card interview was scheduled for mid-April but has since been cancelled due to the shutdown surrounding Covid-19. We received notice it would be rescheduled at a later date.

Situation: Our understanding was a Social Security Card would arrive about 2 weeks after the EAD. It has still not arrived. Our state will not issue her a driver's license without a green card or SSN so she's eagerly waiting on the SSN she can obtain a Driver's License, be listed as a joint on my bank accounts and utilities and so we can file taxes. Our CPA is only waiting for a SSN or green card to move forward. 

Am I correct in my understand that a SSN would arrive as part of an approved Employment Authorization Document application? We check the appropriate boxes when submitting the form stating we did want to apply for a SSN. 

If one SHOULD arrive has anyone experienced a longer wait time to receive? We don't know if we should be receiving one but haven't due to a Covid-19 shutdown...or if we were mistaken in assuming one would be issued in the first place.

Advice?

Thanks in advance!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The normal practice is to get the SSN when you arrive, last October in your case. I did not think of it as being part of the EAD process, well it was not when I did mine but maybe things have changed. Even assuming it might be things can go wrong in which case you need to obtain one from the local office. EAD is what you now need to get one, which of course you now have.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

On 4/1/2020 at 8:25 PM, IdAuHunter said:

Background: My wife arrived on a K1 visa in October. Married in November and submitted the Adjustment of Status, Employment Authorization and Advanced Parole forms (I-485, I-765, I-131). We self-filed all along the way with success thanks to the great info here. 

The EAD/Advanced Parole combo card arrived for my wife and stepdaughter almost a month ago. The Green Card interview was scheduled for mid-April but has since been cancelled due to the shutdown surrounding Covid-19. We received notice it would be rescheduled at a later date.

Situation: Our understanding was a Social Security Card would arrive about 2 weeks after the EAD. It has still not arrived. Our state will not issue her a driver's license without a green card or SSN so she's eagerly waiting on the SSN she can obtain a Driver's License, be listed as a joint on my bank accounts and utilities and so we can file taxes. Our CPA is only waiting for a SSN or green card to move forward. 

Am I correct in my understand that a SSN would arrive as part of an approved Employment Authorization Document application? We check the appropriate boxes when submitting the form stating we did want to apply for a SSN. 

If one SHOULD arrive has anyone experienced a longer wait time to receive? We don't know if we should be receiving one but haven't due to a Covid-19 shutdown...or if we were mistaken in assuming one would be issued in the first place.

Advice?

Thanks in advance!

If you applied the SSN via I-765 and ticked all the correct boxes then it took 5 whole weeks for my SSN to arrive after the combo card landed in the mailbox in March 2020

Edited by jmn1012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.