Aureliaxue

Can i remarry while removing conditions.

4 posts in this topic

I came to US with K1 fiancé visa. I got married and filed for AOS. Conditional green card is approved, we got divorced and I filed for removal of conditions (I-751).

After I file for my removal of conditions, I met with my current fiancé. He proposed and we want to get marry. 

Should I wait until my conditions are removed or can I get marry before the final decision for I-751? 

Thank you in advance.

Filed: Timeline

Technically you can remarry. Getting a divorce and marrying someone else wont prevent you from getting approved- however it can make it harder to get approved. ROC is about showing you entered the marriage in good faith and it was a legit marriage. Divorcing with in the first 2 years and then marrying someone else so quickly can cast doubt on how sincere you were in the first marriage. Was there any overlap of the two relationships? Do you have proof that there was no overlap? 

Also on a personal note I would discourage someone from remarrying so quickly after a divorce. The term 'rebound' comes to mind. 

7 hours ago, Villanelle said:

Also on a personal note I would discourage someone from remarrying so quickly after a divorce. The term 'rebound' comes to mind. 

I fell in love with my current fiance while my first marriage was already breaking down; my falling in love pretty much sped up the end of the marriage. Even when we knew we were in love with each other, I took a LONG time to commit finally to him (over two years) because I wanted to be very, very certain I knew what I was doing. We didn't even talk about marriage until well after he had come over here on a work visa. And I have known him over 14 years!!! I took my time because I didn't want to make the same mistakes I made in my two previous serious relationships. By waiting and making sure, and lots and lots of communication and setting out boundaries I know that I made the right decision.

If the OP is in the middle of ROC, it's likely she's going to be approved statistically speaking. So there is no real rush to get married. OP: TAKE YOUR TIME. Love prospers when you give it enough room to grow. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.