MFRittman

Getting Social Security Card after card was lost in mail.

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Madagascar
Timeline

My fiance arrived in the United States on a K1 visa in mid-December.  We married and she applied for permanent residence and work authorization.  At the beginning of February, we went to the Social Security office to get her a card.  They said she would receive a Social Security Card in the mail within the next four weeks.  After not receiving it, we returned to the social security office at the beginning of March.  The Social Security office said they had made an error in our address.  The card had been returned to their office and they would resend it.  They did give my wife the SSN issued to her.

We did not receive a card.  We received a letter.  The letter says:

"We cannot issue you a Social Security Card at this time because:

YOUR I-94 HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE WITHIN 14 DAYS OF PROCESSING. PLEASE

PROVIDE AN UPDATED I-94 WITH YOUR PASSPORT."

She already has a Social Security Card issued to her, but it was lost in the mail to an SSA error.  Getting an updated I-94 would require her to leave the country and come back?  Any other way to get her card resent?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So she knows the number? Not sure I know where my actual card is, never been asked to show it but know the number.

That reply suggests that whoever sent it thinks she is applying for a new card not a reissued one.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Madagascar
Timeline

I've always had to show my social security card to my employers at work when I get hired.  When she gets her work authorization, I would imagine she will need to show her card to work too.

Edited by MFRittman

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I never have, they just wanted the spot filled in on the application.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline
1 hour ago, MFRittman said:

My fiance arrived in the United States on a K1 visa in mid-December.  We married and she applied for permanent residence and work authorization.  At the beginning of February, we went to the Social Security office to get her a card.  They said she would receive a Social Security Card in the mail within the next four weeks.  After not receiving it, we returned to the social security office at the beginning of March.  The Social Security office said they had made an error in our address.  The card had been returned to their office and they would resend it.  They did give my wife the SSN issued to her.

We did not receive a card.  We received a letter.  The letter says:

"We cannot issue you a Social Security Card at this time because:

YOUR I-94 HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE WITHIN 14 DAYS OF PROCESSING. PLEASE

PROVIDE AN UPDATED I-94 WITH YOUR PASSPORT."

She already has a Social Security Card issued to her, but it was lost in the mail to an SSA error.  Getting an updated I-94 would require her to leave the country and come back?  Any other way to get her card resent?

She’ll have to go get a new card once her status changes - AOS gets approved and she gets green card in mail. Nothing you can do now until  that’s done. 

edit: I always have/had to show my social security card so far. Example- joint tax filing, driver license, bank account. 

Edited by JonMarta

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.