Tom Tran

Can someone share their experience joining the Navy with conditional GC?

25 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Panda & Bear said:

I’m sorry to say that but for LPRs Seabee rates aren’t available (you need to be a US citizen).

Huh? Really? You need a security clearance to be a Seabee? I was reading online and Seabees literally never get security clearances, even if you're a diver, you usually have to fight for it. My FIL knows a recruiter I'll ask him about it, but yeah, LS is on my list and so is PS if Seabees aren't available. (Which I know they won't be so I'm prepared to wait. Cause they're very overmanned)

Also I'm stuck with only a HS diploma sadly, I don't really care much for the bonus, just being given my GI Bill, Tricare and other benefits will do me a solid.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Dominica
Timeline
2 hours ago, ohcoffeeeyes said:

Huh? Really? You need a security clearance to be a Seabee? I was reading online and Seabees literally never get security clearances, even if you're a diver, you usually have to fight for it. My FIL knows a recruiter I'll ask him about it, but yeah, LS is on my list and so is PS if Seabees aren't available. (Which I know they won't be so I'm prepared to wait. Cause they're very overmanned)

Also I'm stuck with only a HS diploma sadly, I don't really care much for the bonus, just being given my GI Bill, Tricare and other benefits will do me a solid.

https://www.public.navy.mil/BUPERS-NPC/ENLISTED/COMMUNITY/Pages/default.aspx

36 minutes ago, malajoe said:

Yeah it says right there you don't need a security clearance for any of the Seabee rates, just a valid state drivers license. You can check ones that obviously do need security clearance e.g. MT and they state a SSBI required, meanwhile rates that are open to LPR's e.g. HM's, just say the obvious, decent ASVAB and drivers license.

Thank you for this I knew it existed but I didn't think to look on it for requirements for roles, I think Seabees will be there for LPR's I'm just sure they don't come up at MEPs a lot so I'm going to hold out for it when the time comes.

addition: i also found a us navy magazine article recently showing a lpr joining the seabees so i think im ok

Edited by ohcoffeeeyes

Timeline
1 minute ago, ohcoffeeeyes said:

Yeah it says right there you don't need a security clearance for any of the Seabee rates, just a valid state drivers license. You can check ones that obviously do need security clearance e.g. MT and they state a SSBI required, meanwhile rates that are open to LPR's e.g. HM's, just say the obvious, decent ASVAB and drivers license.

Thank you for this I knew it existed but I didn't think to look on it for requirements for roles, I think Seabees will be there for LPR's I'm just sure they don't come up at MEPs a lot so I'm going to hold out for it when the time comes.

Why do u want to be a seabee if you don't mind me asking. advancement opportunity is horrible in those ratings.

Just now, malajoe said:

Why do u want to be a seabee if you don't mind me asking. advancement opportunity is horrible in those ratings.

I don't care for advancement. I'm doing 4 years then I'm leaving, atleast ideally. If not, that's fine, I care a lot more for tradition and the work, I love construction work and I'd love to learn a trade. If I cared for advancement, I'd commit to doing more than 4 years, but I'm a realist, I don't want to be in the military for life and I'm joining with that in mind.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, ohcoffeeeyes said:

I don't care for advancement. I'm doing 4 years then I'm leaving, atleast ideally. If not, that's fine, I care a lot more for tradition and the work, I love construction work and I'd love to learn a trade. If I cared for advancement, I'd commit to doing more than 4 years, but I'm a realist, I don't want to be in the military for life and I'm joining with that in mind.

kool... Best of Luck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
8 hours ago, ohcoffeeeyes said:

This is from the Navy website about qualifications for Seabees:

”A high-school diploma or equivalent is required to become an Enlisted Sailor in the Navy Construction Battalion. Those seeking a position with the Seabees must be U.S. citizens.” Maybe asking a recruiter would be the best for you, but I’m sure these rates weren’t on the job list available for me (I can tell you exactly what rates were on that list since my recruiter told me all the rates for LPRs are open for me).

That’s ok, you don’t have to have degrees to join. However, during your enlistment you can apply for different courses, and actually get a degree and/or tuition assistance for it, and you can save your GI Bill for later 😃 

19 minutes ago, Panda & Bear said:

This is from the Navy website about qualifications for Seabees:

”A high-school diploma or equivalent is required to become an Enlisted Sailor in the Navy Construction Battalion. Those seeking a position with the Seabees must be U.S. citizens.” Maybe asking a recruiter would be the best for you, but I’m sure these rates weren’t on the job list available for me (I can tell you exactly what rates were on that list since my recruiter told me all the rates for LPRs are open for me).

That’s ok, you don’t have to have degrees to join. However, during your enlistment you can apply for different courses, and actually get a degree and/or tuition assistance for it, and you can save your GI Bill for later 😃 

Sorry if I sounded a bit aggravated in my reply cause I was sure that I had read otherwise. I went on the Navy website too and I looked at the LS one and the HM one (cause I know with all my heart HM is open to green card holders, someone online said he got it a week ago and hes a LPR) and they both stated that a U.S citizenship is required which we know is wrong so I think the website just has it mixed up... Which is fine, like I said I don't care as long as I'm in the Navy but I would love to be a Seabee.

Thank you for telling me about the tuition assistance, it's very exciting! My home country is first world but there is no where that I would get free university whatsoever. It's quite nice. Thank you so much for your replies by the way. It's nice to hear from others who are LPR's joining the Navy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
On 5/19/2020 at 11:09 PM, ohcoffeeeyes said:

Sorry if I sounded a bit aggravated in my reply cause I was sure that I had read otherwise. I went on the Navy website too and I looked at the LS one and the HM one (cause I know with all my heart HM is open to green card holders, someone online said he got it a week ago and hes a LPR) and they both stated that a U.S citizenship is required which we know is wrong so I think the website just has it mixed up... Which is fine, like I said I don't care as long as I'm in the Navy but I would love to be a Seabee.

Thank you for telling me about the tuition assistance, it's very exciting! My home country is first world but there is no where that I would get free university whatsoever. It's quite nice. Thank you so much for your replies by the way. It's nice to hear from others who are LPR's joining the Navy.

Actually it’s not totally wrong: there are different jobs within LS or HM rates which require US citizenship (when you work with classified information or salaries for sailors for example), these jobs aren’t available for LPRs but some of them are (like basic accounting or mail delivery). At least this is what I’ve been told. 

By the way, do you know that in order to get benefits from the military (citizenship, GI Bill, tricare, etc.) you don’t have to be active duty, being a reservist allow you to get all these perks (but it’s not gonna be full medical coverage, just health and vision). Still a good option if you don’t want to commit to a full time military life 😃

Yeah dude, no problem! So nice to have people, and all this information available, so you know what to expect. Ask whatever whenever, I’ll be happy to help 😃 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.