hharry16

J1 waiver 2020 NOS update timeline

2,014 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I applied for waiver under no objection. Timeline:

Documents received: April 11

NOS received: April 21

Case still pending even after getting my congressperson to contact DoS. It has been over 16 weeks already. My sponsor was my university, so I doubt that they are getting sponsor views. What should I do? I have a job lined up and I was supposed to start tomorrow, but obviously can’t. They’ll sponsor me for H1B (no cap). I’ve seen a few people who applied right after getting FR from DoS. Is that recommended? Can anyone share?

I’m so stressed :( don’t wanna leave the country. 

On 8/1/2022 at 12:16 PM, ctbply said:

Hi all, this forum has helped me going through this journey. Many many thanks for those who have shared their experience with us.

I am still waiting for DoS recommendation for my NOS waiver request (no goverment funding, see my timeline below) and sadly my J1 will expire on 8/14. My current employer is willing to file a H1B (cap-exempt with premium processing) and is suggesting that we file it soon so that I have a pending review while waiting for the DoS recommendation and USCIS approval. This is so that I could at least stay stateside even after my grace period ends on 9/13. They are banking that USCIS will send and RFE and hopefully by then I will have my waiver ready. Any thoughts if I should do this or if I should wait until I at least get a favorable recommendation from DoS?

I requested 3 congressional assistance (2 senators, 1 rep), only one of the senator offices obliged (on 6/27). Unfortunately, they immediately received the boiler plate response from DoS. No indication of this inquiry was received on the j1waiverstatus website. I also emailed DoS once but no response.

Thank you all!

image.png

Did you file for H1B? How’s it going? I have a similar timeline and my employer also is wondering if we should file for H1B. I’m just nervous about it getting rejected 

3 minutes ago, Pinguina said:

Oh wow that’s horrible :( are you in the US? When do you have to leave?

It is indeed a patience project. Hang in there

I + my embassy sent out everything at the start of October last year. Tried a congressman but DOS did not accerate.

Yes I am in the US. My J1 visa is valid until October 2023, but until then... no faculty position.

On 8/1/2022 at 12:16 PM, ctbply said:

Hi all, this forum has helped me going through this journey. Many many thanks for those who have shared their experience with us.

I am still waiting for DoS recommendation for my NOS waiver request (no goverment funding, see my timeline below) and sadly my J1 will expire on 8/14. My current employer is willing to file a H1B (cap-exempt with premium processing) and is suggesting that we file it soon so that I have a pending review while waiting for the DoS recommendation and USCIS approval. This is so that I could at least stay stateside even after my grace period ends on 9/13. They are banking that USCIS will send and RFE and hopefully by then I will have my waiver ready. Any thoughts if I should do this or if I should wait until I at least get a favorable recommendation from DoS?

I requested 3 congressional assistance (2 senators, 1 rep), only one of the senator offices obliged (on 6/27). Unfortunately, they immediately received the boiler plate response from DoS. No indication of this inquiry was received on the j1waiverstatus website. I also emailed DoS once but no response.

Thank you all!

image.png

Hi, do you have any updates?

On 8/14/2022 at 5:55 PM, Pinguina said:

Hi everyone,

I applied for waiver under no objection. Timeline:

Documents received: April 11

NOS received: April 21

Case still pending even after getting my congressperson to contact DoS. It has been over 16 weeks already. My sponsor was my university, so I doubt that they are getting sponsor views. What should I do? I have a job lined up and I was supposed to start tomorrow, but obviously can’t. They’ll sponsor me for H1B (no cap). I’ve seen a few people who applied right after getting FR from DoS. Is that recommended? Can anyone share?

I’m so stressed :( don’t wanna leave the country. 

Hello everyone,

I have an update regarding my case. I received FR on August 19. Now my new employer is trying to figure out if we should file for H1-B immediately or wait until USCIS send notice of receipt. My J1 is expiring in one week so I'm quite nervous. I hope everything works out.

Good luck to everyone out there still waiting for FR!

On 8/18/2022 at 9:19 AM, Pinguina said:

Hi, do you have any updates?

Hi Pinguina,

sorry I haven’t been checking the forum lately. Congrats on getting the FR! Very happy for you!
My J1 expired on 8/14, so now I am just waiting before my grace period ends on 9/13. My international office will file the H1B a few days prior to 9/13 without premium processing to buy me time. They will file the premium processing if and when I get the USCIS approval.

Good luck!

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Dear, seems that timelines and responsiveness from the contact channels at the waiver review division are about to get even slower. The following note was sent in response to an email to 212ewaiver@state.gov

image.thumb.png.c7d3d67b112a8eaf1500f2d6accc30f3.png

Two points are worth noting

1. They mentioned that the consular systems will be under maintenance until Sep 20, which will affect completing DS-3035 and checking the status of waiver applications. 

2. The previous version of this email asked for a 10 business days (around 2 weeks) timeframe for a reply. This has been increased to 25 - 30 business days (5 to 6 weeks or 1.5 months) for a reply

I believe that the department is in a rush to issue GC visa stamps before the end of the fiscal year, and maybe this ends up in the way of the waiver work, so hopefully the situation will be better in October. 

22 hours ago, ctbply said:

Hi Pinguina,

sorry I haven’t been checking the forum lately. Congrats on getting the FR! Very happy for you!
My J1 expired on 8/14, so now I am just waiting before my grace period ends on 9/13. My international office will file the H1B a few days prior to 9/13 without premium processing to buy me time. They will file the premium processing if and when I get the USCIS approval.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, my friend!

My university told me that it is not common nowadays to wait for USCIS final approval, so we are going to file with premium processing next week and hope that USCIS can find the case and they won't send a request for evidence. It seems like there is no common practice here and every lawyer prefers to do something different. I'm hoping it all works out!

On 8/23/2022 at 9:42 AM, Pinguina said:

Hello everyone,

I have an update regarding my case. I received FR on August 19. Now my new employer is trying to figure out if we should file for H1-B immediately or wait until USCIS send notice of receipt. My J1 is expiring in one week so I'm quite nervous. I hope everything works out.

Good luck to everyone out there still waiting for FR!

Received a mail from USCIS today August 29 with the notice of receipt of my case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.