5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Immigrated with an I-129f, got married 3 days after entering the country, filed I-485, i-131, & I-765, & I-864 like 3 weeks later. Could anyone give me some info as to why it takes so long to receive the travel permit? It has been 5months going on 6 with no movement at all on it according to the portal. 

23 minutes ago, RRT said:

Could anyone give me some info as to why it takes so long to receive the travel permit?

Because of all the others in line before you. That's just the current timelines nowadays due to backlogs.

There won't be any movement on them until it is either approved, denied, or you get an RFE/RFIE. The issue isn't so much how long it takes to handle your form, but the wait before anybody even looks at it.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
11 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Because of all the others in line before you. That's just the current timelines nowadays due to backlogs.

There won't be any movement on them until it is either approved, denied, or you get an RFE/RFIE. The issue isn't so much how long it takes to handle your form, but the wait before anybody even looks at it.

I was wondering in general. 1 would think that this part would be the least concern. I get the wait for a green card but to travel? Does that require a separate thorough investigation? I would think that as long as there are no flags generated by the Consulate & all the required documents there, the biometrics & all the documents required for the AOS, the travel should basically be rubber stamped on it's way out the door.

10 minutes ago, RRT said:

I was wondering in general. 1 would think that this part would be the least concern. I get the wait for a green card but to travel? Does that require a separate thorough investigation? I would think that as long as there are no flags generated by the Consulate & all the required documents there, the biometrics & all the documents required for the AOS, the travel should basically be rubber stamped on it's way out the door.

It still takes a long time regardless of which step it is. It has been like this for a while now. Immigration does not have a huge amount of resources. Like someone already said, the line is long. And yes, there is a ling line waiting for authorization for travel also. Think about it, it is not just people adjusting from K1, it also those adjusting from other visas like School visas, Visitor visas, etc.

This is why we advise people who has visitor visas or who are from countries that allow them to visit the US to NOT do the K1. Because it pretty much makes you a hostage. An alternative is to do the spousal visa and continue to visit during the spousal visa process. Because when you come a spousal visa, you get work and travel authorization from the day you step foot into the US. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

1 hour ago, RRT said:

You wait in the same line as everybody else, including those who are waiting for AP and an EAD due to AOS from other visas (i.e. tourists, students, etc.). The fact that you went through consular processing for the K-1 is not a factor in EAD/AP processing timelines.

From a practical standpoint, they generally do an initial review of the I-485 + I-864 before adjudicating the I-765 or I-131. As such, it's not just a rubber stamp...they are actually doing some basic checks for eligibility for the benefit first. That takes time, and it's just a wait in line for your to get reviewed at this point.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.