cherry469

Marital status and IRS filing

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone....i came here last year in september 2006 on a K1 Visa.My husband and i got married in november same year. After a few months he got a new job and still filled up his work related paperworker as single...when i found out i kind of questioned it and he told he was advised that due to my legal status here he's still considered single we haven;t fully adjusted my status....i still have doubts about this and recently he got another job and still told me his boss told him to fill his paperworker as single and not married.

My question is: Since i came here legally as the states advised us all. Aren't my husband and i considered married regarding all the paperwork that requires him to show his status including IRS?

Another question that i have is this..... last week but one we were about to send in my adjust of status package when we realised my husband didn;t recieve a copy of my k1 visa approval notice from the USCIS,all they sent him was a copy from NVC...when i called USCIS customer care they checked and said they had sent it to him on, if i can remember 6th of june 2006,he didn;t change address so i guess it must have got lost somewhere. But any way they told me to apply for form I-824 for a duplicate which they are not sure how long it will take to receive,they said probably 6months(we applied and sent it last week saturday). they said they will send us a reciept within 15days...Is there anyone out there who has had a similar situation who can tell if it;s ok for us to go on and send in our paperwork with a copy of the receipt to show that we have applied for the duplicate of the approval notice or it may be rejected.

Please help.

Anyone out there with answers please fill free to mail me on cherry_kats@yahoo.com.

thank you

God bless. :

He can not claim he is single when he is married.... he should have things amended as soon as he can... he should be filling his tax as married...

As for your request for a copy of the NOA2 just include a copy of the reciept showing you have applied for one...

Good Luck

Kez

He can not claim he is single when he is married.... he should have things amended as soon as he can... he should be filling his tax as married...

As for your request for a copy of the NOA2 just include a copy of the reciept showing you have applied for one...

Good Luck

Kez

Thank you so much Kez.

be blessed.

cherry

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Doesn't matter what your immigration status is, your husband should be putting down that he is married because he is. :)

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Why would you having a SSN or not mean your husband cant pay the right ammount of tax for a married man..... people who are married and their wife/husband is not in the US can still claim married on their W4 at work or on their tax return....

Kez

It sure is funny, especially considering its generally of benefit to be married when filing taxes because you get a much large deduction and thus pay less taxes. I told my employers to put me down as married before I got married (because I knew I was getting married that year), so there is no limitation as to when you do so.

It sure is funny, especially considering its generally of benefit to be married when filing taxes because you get a much large deduction and thus pay less taxes. I told my employers to put me down as married before I got married (because I knew I was getting married that year), so there is no limitation as to when you do so.

I appreciate your response all, does anyone think there;s a strange reason why he's doing that? b'se it;s not making me happy at all.May be he doesn't want his employees or anyone at his job to know he is married...c'ld that be the reason. i don;t know am just trying to find answers coz' like i said it's funny.....i want the whole world to know am married but i guess he doesn't want people to know he's is.

Who knows why he would do that. Perhaps you should ask him yourself. All we can tell you is that if his boss really told him he can't file taxes as married because you don't have a SSN or Green Card yet, his boss is talking b*llshit.

Edited by Dr_LHA

Who knows why he would do that. Perhaps you should ask him yourself. All we can tell you is that if his boss really told him he can't file taxes as married because you don't have a SSN or Green Card yet, his boss is talking b*llshit.

Thank you, i have asked but i don;t get any answers all i get is like.... why are u fussing over it kind of reaction....it makes me feel like am forcing him to do it, but on the other hand makes me think that even though am married to this man he has not fully accepted me as his wife...something like that.,may be may be not...since he even puts his goddaughter as his beneficiary. b;se it.s unnatural for one to claim single when married...he;s educated enough to know this....but i will take your idea and have another 1 on 1 talk again.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Definitely talk to him again because it sounds like the issue is with him and not actually his employer. Or if it is his employer, what they are saying is total bull****. It doesn't matter if you have an SSN or greencard. His (and your) marital status is "married".

Good luck!

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Doesn't matter what your immigration status is, your husband should be putting down that he is married because he is. :)

Thank you misa...that's what i thought too.but he has been telling his bosses ask him not to since i don;t have a social secuty number yet. if feels funny to me.

may be his bosses have nothing to do with it misa, but he figures out i wont be able to call his bosses and ask so he uses it as an excuse.......that;s part of my thoughts to...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wait, wait, wait....

When you are speaking of the work papers do you mean form W-4 he prepared when he began his new job? If so then putting single on there only means more money is being withheld from the paycheck than maybe what is required.

If you mean he put single of the annual Form 1040 that was filed with the Internal Revenue Service then that is a totally separate issue.....

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.