jvr94

ITIN for Tax Filing

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! Has anyone here tried to get an ITIN while waiting for their social security number? My husband is about to file his tax and our lawyer told me to get an ITIN. Just wanna know your experience applying for one!

AOS (I-130, I-130A, I-131, I-485, I-765) Timeline:

12/07/19 - AOS Package Sent

12/17/19 - NOA1

12/26/19 - NOA1 for Biometrics Appointment

01/07/20 - Biometrics at Elizabeth, NJ

01/29/20 - I-485 & I-765 Case Status Updated to "Fingerprints were taken"

02/11/20 - I-485 Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview 

05/15/20 - I-765 New card is being produced

05/18/20 - I-765 & I-131 Case was approved

ROC (I-751) Timeline:
01/18/23 - 
ROC Package Sent
01/30/23 - 48 month extension letter received
03/27/23 - Another 48 month extension

26 minutes ago, juliiev said:

Hello everyone! Has anyone here tried to get an ITIN while waiting for their social security number? My husband is about to file his tax and our lawyer told me to get an ITIN. Just wanna know your experience applying for one!

I got one. It's very simple. You fill in a W-7, attach it to your tax return, send it to an address in Texas (see instruction document) and that's it. Next year you can efile. Once he receives a SSN he informs the IRS and they'll link his new number to his records and the ITIN is decommissioned. 

ETA: Leave his SSN empty on the 1040, they'll fill in his ITIN in once they've assign one to him.

Edited by Poseidon1212

3 minutes ago, Poseidon1212 said:

I got one. It's very simple. You fill in a W-7, attach it to your tax return, send it to an address in Texas (see instruction document) and that's it. Next year you can efile. Once he receives a SSN he informs the IRS and they'll link his new number to his records and the ITIN is decommissioned. 

How long did it take you to get your ITIN?

AOS (I-130, I-130A, I-131, I-485, I-765) Timeline:

12/07/19 - AOS Package Sent

12/17/19 - NOA1

12/26/19 - NOA1 for Biometrics Appointment

01/07/20 - Biometrics at Elizabeth, NJ

01/29/20 - I-485 & I-765 Case Status Updated to "Fingerprints were taken"

02/11/20 - I-485 Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview 

05/15/20 - I-765 New card is being produced

05/18/20 - I-765 & I-131 Case was approved

ROC (I-751) Timeline:
01/18/23 - 
ROC Package Sent
01/30/23 - 48 month extension letter received
03/27/23 - Another 48 month extension

3 minutes ago, juliiev said:

How long did it take you to get your ITIN?

I think it took about 14 days, but it's irrelevant really since they will fill in his ITIN on the tax return the W-7 is attached to and will inform him with a letter what his ITIN is afterwards. So the next time you'll need it (next year) you'll most definitely have it. The ITIN doesn't have much other use than that. Only thing that I can think of is for a W-9 once you try to add him as an account holder to your bank account. 

Edited by Poseidon1212

20 hours ago, Poseidon1212 said:

I think it took about 14 days, but it's irrelevant really since they will fill in his ITIN on the tax return the W-7 is attached to and will inform him with a letter what his ITIN is afterwards. So the next time you'll need it (next year) you'll most definitely have it. The ITIN doesn't have much other use than that. Only thing that I can think of is for a W-9 once you try to add him as an account holder to your bank account. 

Do you have to include the passport of foreign’s spouse or certified passport is ok along wit W-7 and tax return?

Also, can we do it by ourselves or we have to go to specific agent that got authorized to do tax by IRS? 

1 minute ago, trucphong said:

Do you have to include the passport of foreign’s spouse or certified passport is ok along wit W-7 and tax return?

Also, can we do it by ourselves or we have to go to specific agent that got authorized to do tax by IRS? 

A certified copy by the issuing authority is fine too. For example; if the municipality is listed on the passport as issuing authority then a copy certified by them is fine. You can do it by yourself. Authorised agent is only necessary if you can’t send in a certified copy or the passport itself. 

3 minutes ago, Poseidon1212 said:

A certified copy by the issuing authority is fine too. For example; if the municipality is listed on the passport as issuing authority then a copy certified by them is fine. You can do it by yourself. Authorised agent is only necessary if you can’t send in a certified copy or the passport itself. 

Thank you. My spouse cant send the passport to me due to our interview will be soon. I have her certified passport but it might not be from issuing passport. You mentioned that authorized agent can do paperwork without certified passport or actual passport by itself? I really dont want to go married separate as I can save couple thousand dollars on joint marriage.

Thanks again.

1 minute ago, trucphong said:

Thank you. My spouse cant send the passport to me due to our interview will be soon. I have her certified passport but it might not be from issuing passport. You mentioned that authorized agent can do paperwork without certified passport or actual passport by itself? I really dont want to go married separate as I can save couple thousand dollars on joint marriage.

Thanks again.

On the passport itself it indicates which authority issued the passport. That’s the authority that has to certify the copy. 

The authorised agent will have to see the actual passport and the person that wants the ITIN, their role is essentially to tell the IRS ‘I’ve seen the passport, it’s the real deal’. But keep in mind their services can be pricey and not worth it. 

So the first step is to check your spouse’s passport and figure out who issued the passport. If it’s an agency they can easily access like a local agency (e.g. 

police, municipality, other local authority) then go there to get a certified copy certified by them (typically indicated by a stamp bearing the same name of the name of the issuing agency mentioned on the passport itself). 

Then they can either send the hard copy to you and you attach it together with the W-7 to the tax refund, or if you can’t wait for whatever reason you can file a form 2848 via fax and give your spouse signing rights, then they can file the taxes from wherever they are in one go, but it shouldn’t be that much of a difference time wise and you guys are well before the deadline. 

22 hours ago, Poseidon1212 said:

On the passport itself it indicates which authority issued the passport. That’s the authority that has to certify the copy. 

The authorised agent will have to see the actual passport and the person that wants the ITIN, their role is essentially to tell the IRS ‘I’ve seen the passport, it’s the real deal’. But keep in mind their services can be pricey and not worth it. 

So the first step is to check your spouse’s passport and figure out who issued the passport. If it’s an agency they can easily access like a local agency (e.g. 

police, municipality, other local authority) then go there to get a certified copy certified by them (typically indicated by a stamp bearing the same name of the name of the issuing agency mentioned on the passport itself). 

Then they can either send the hard copy to you and you attach it together with the W-7 to the tax refund, or if you can’t wait for whatever reason you can file a form 2848 via fax and give your spouse signing rights, then they can file the taxes from wherever they are in one go, but it shouldn’t be that much of a difference time wise and you guys are well before the deadline. 

Her passport was issued from department of state and they dont do certification. We did at Department of Justice. I will send it and see what happens lol. That is federal tax, how do we deal with state tax when there is no W7 to send with? 

Is there possible to use HR block or Turbo Tax software to fill in everything and print out to send it to prevent all calculations that I might mess up? Software might not allow me to by pass no ssn for my spouse from HR block or Turbo tax. Thanks

I just applied for an ITIN for my husband a few days ago.  You will need the W-7 application along with certified supporting documents, such as the foreign spouse's passport or driver's licence.  You may be able to get a certified copy from the foreign embassy or if you submit the original, the IRS will return it to you.  My husband was visiting, so we went in person to the IRS taxpayer assistance center here in our town via appointment.  We brought our completed 1040 and related documents, the W-7 application and his passport.  The agent certified his passport and submitted the W-7 application along with our 1040 from the office.  She said it would take 9-11 weeks to obtain the ITIN and then our 1040 would be processed.

On 2/10/2020 at 8:54 AM, juliiev said:

I would advise to wait since your interview is soon, your husband will get more refund with the actual SSN and he has until april 15th

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.