otta

CEAC: Updating AOS docs while case awaits NVC review?

17 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi!

I'm petitioning for a relative and am almost ready to submit DS260, AOS, and civil docs, but my 2019 tax returns/transcripts will take a few more weeks. Is it possible to submit everything and amend documentation / upload an updated document in CEAC as the case awaits NVC review? Per their website, there's currently a 2-month lag between submission and review. I know it's possible to upload new docs if they send the case back to you, but is there an option to do so while it awaits review?

I'd be OK with it going back to the end of the review queue, just hoping to get the application in earlier rather than later. 

Also, will I be able to submit civic docs in CEAC? I've paid both fees and have active options to fill out DS260 app and AOS, but the link under civil documents says "N/A". I'm assuming that link will become active once I submit the DS260 application, am I right to think so? Or does this mean I'll have to send in civil docs via another route?

Thank you!

Timeline

Alternatively, has anyone submitted full tax returns in lieu of transcripts? I know NVC & DOS strongly prefer transcripts and caution that full returns may cause delays, but using the full return for last year would allow me to submit about 3 weeks earlier than if I had to wait for the transcript to become available. Any experience / problems with submitting the full return along with AOS?

Thanks again! As may be apparent from my posts, the case is somewhat time-sensitive (though we don't have enough of a rationale to request expedited processing).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi,

I'm in the same predicament. We filed taxes over the weekend and won't have our transcript for a few weeks but want to get the process going!

We have tax transcripts from 2016 - 2018 which is technically all we need but I wanted to include 2019 as it's more current and will hopefully avoid a request at the interview.

I think what we are going to do is upload transcripts for 2017 & 2018 and the tax return with supporting docs for 2019 and then send over the tax transcript for the interview in case they ask for it. Our income has been fairly consistent over the last 3 years so that will hopefully help.

Not sure if that helps you but we can keep each other posted as to how it goes!

Timeline
1 minute ago, tsabbas said:

Hi,

I'm in the same predicament. We filed taxes over the weekend and won't have our transcript for a few weeks but want to get the process going!

We have tax transcripts from 2016 - 2018 which is technically all we need but I wanted to include 2019 as it's more current and will hopefully avoid a request at the interview.

I think what we are going to do is upload transcripts for 2017 & 2018 and the tax return with supporting docs for 2019 and then send over the tax transcript for the interview in case they ask for it. Our income has been fairly consistent over the last 3 years so that will hopefully help.

Thanks for responding! I'm still waiting for one document to file taxes, hopefully in a few days, but also don't want to wait another 3 weeks for transcript to be available, though would like to use 2019 taxes. My plan is currently similar to yours, provide transcripts for 2017 & 2018, and for 2019 full return with W2s and 1099s, as instructions specify. I hope they don't come back asking for a transcript, because that would be a delay, but it's a gamble.

I heard from someone via private message that after submitting they don't see an option to update anything online. I also have a consultation with an attorney tomorrow and plan to ask about this approach, so will share if I hear anything useful.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
13 hours ago, otta said:

Thanks for responding! I'm still waiting for one document to file taxes, hopefully in a few days, but also don't want to wait another 3 weeks for transcript to be available, though would like to use 2019 taxes. My plan is currently similar to yours, provide transcripts for 2017 & 2018, and for 2019 full return with W2s and 1099s, as instructions specify. I hope they don't come back asking for a transcript, because that would be a delay, but it's a gamble.

I heard from someone via private message that after submitting they don't see an option to update anything online. I also have a consultation with an attorney tomorrow and plan to ask about this approach, so will share if I hear anything useful.

Yes please keep us updated, I am in the same boat as both of you.  I submitted my 2016, 17 and 18 transcripts but just completed my 2019 return and am wondering if I should upload that plus W-2 as well? Due to the 9 week NVC backlog I really don’t want to mess anything up, it’s stressful.

Timeline

The attorney said it's totally fine to submit with 2016-2018 taxes at this time, but I do want to also use 2019 (in part out of fear that when NVC comes around to reviewing my docs in late April, after the tax filing deadline, they may then just ask for 2019 taxes). She confirmed that's fine too, just to remember all W2s and 1099s (if submitting copy of return rather than transcript), for both spouses if a joint return, even if only one is the sponsor for the intending immigrant (like in our case). She confirmed that one can't update the docs after submitting, so must be sure when clicking the submit button.

She said it's unfortunately not uncommon to get the "checklist", to be asked to revise something, and it happens fairly regularly even when attorneys file and documentation is in order. She said they might come back asking for a 2019 transcript, or we might just be told that the applicant should bring it to the interview. No way to know in advance. She said that in her experience, the review of resubmitted documents tends to be faster than initial review, which contrasts with the impression I get on this forum, where people say you go back to the end of the line if you have to resubmit something. But overall, she described CEAC as "crazy" and "incredibly frustrating", which is consistent with all I've read about it here 😕 Also stressed about the process.

Timeline
18 hours ago, otta said:

The attorney said it's totally fine to submit with 2016-2018 taxes at this time, but I do want to also use 2019 (in part out of fear that when NVC comes around to reviewing my docs in late April, after the tax filing deadline, they may then just ask for 2019 taxes). She confirmed that's fine too, just to remember all W2s and 1099s (if submitting copy of return rather than transcript), for both spouses if a joint return, even if only one is the sponsor for the intending immigrant (like in our case). She confirmed that one can't update the docs after submitting, so must be sure when clicking the submit button.

She said it's unfortunately not uncommon to get the "checklist", to be asked to revise something, and it happens fairly regularly even when attorneys file and documentation is in order. She said they might come back asking for a 2019 transcript, or we might just be told that the applicant should bring it to the interview. No way to know in advance. She said that in her experience, the review of resubmitted documents tends to be faster than initial review, which contrasts with the impression I get on this forum, where people say you go back to the end of the line if you have to resubmit something. But overall, she described CEAC as "crazy" and "incredibly frustrating", which is consistent with all I've read about it here 😕 Also stressed about the process.

Thanks for this post, it was very helpful.  Strange how NVC used to review resubmissions more quickly, but now it seems you go to the “back of the line.”  It just makes the process even more stressful.  Fingers crossed we both get NVC approved on our first try.

Hi guys, 

I’m in the same boat. I have tax transcripts for 2016-2018 and corresponding W-2’s. I would also like to submit my 2019 tax returns and w-2’s. So my question is: Did you end up submitting all 4 years? If so what did you write in the I-864, for the most recent tax years? 2016-2018 and then just included your 2019 on the side? Or did you use 2017-2019 and kept the 2016 on the side- like extra evidence. Do you think you can submit too much information? 😅

Timeline
9 hours ago, Piet&Dani said:

Hi guys, 

I’m in the same boat. I have tax transcripts for 2016-2018 and corresponding W-2’s. I would also like to submit my 2019 tax returns and w-2’s. So my question is: Did you end up submitting all 4 years? If so what did you write in the I-864, for the most recent tax years? 2016-2018 and then just included your 2019 on the side? Or did you use 2017-2019 and kept the 2016 on the side- like extra evidence. Do you think you can submit too much information? 😅

I filed the I-864 at the end of January using just 2018, 2017 and 2016 transcripts since I hadn’t completed my 2019 return.  According to others, this is fine and just need to bring 2019 to the interview.  Like you, I kind of want to upload my 2019 return and W-2 since I have them now, but I’m going to just leave things as they are and hopefully that is good enough for NVC to approve us!

Timeline

I haven't submitted yet but planning to submit in a few days, just 2017, 2018, 2019, so 3, not 4 years. I am worried about submitting too much, because that might also generate the risk that something actually important will be overlooked... I have joint returns with multiple W2s, 1099s, employer letters; just way too much documentation.

Any idea if people voluntarily submitting optional tax transcripts from years 2 and 3 also should submit all related W2s and 1099s if filed jointly? I'm assuming that's only the case for most recent tax year, since the 2 previous years are optional, but I'm not really sure.

Really going gray overthinking and trying to anticipate everything I may have misunderstood, or NVC staff may misunderstand / miss / be confused by 😨

6 minutes ago, otta said:

I haven't submitted yet but planning to submit in a few days, just 2017, 2018, 2019, so 3, not 4 years. I am worried about submitting too much, because that might also generate the risk that something actually important will be overlooked... I have joint returns with multiple W2s, 1099s, employer letters; just way too much documentation.

Any idea if people voluntarily submitting optional tax transcripts from years 2 and 3 also should submit all related W2s and 1099s if filed jointly? I'm assuming that's only the case for most recent tax year, since the 2 previous years are optional, but I'm not really sure.

Really going gray overthinking and trying to anticipate everything I may have misunderstood, or NVC staff may misunderstand / miss / be confused by 😨

I totally understand the over thinking and stressing out. I’m doing the same. I have submitted so much (birth certificate, drivers license, passport etc.) and was also wondering if it might be too much. But My thinking was, give them everything they may ask for so there won’t be delays. But then the other part of me says keep it simple... But maybe you should include the W-2’s if you can. I don’t think it would hurt anything. I’ve ready so much it’s hard to keep things straight at this point. But i seam to recall someone saying it’s a good idea. So that’s what I’ve done. 

so far, for taxes, I have uploaded my w-2’s and tax transcripts for 2017 & 2018 and tax returns with w-2’s for 2019. I had uploaded 2016 tax transcripts with W-2’s as well, even though I did not use that year on my I-864, but now I’m thinking that’s way too much and i need to delete it and make a decision and stick too it.

Not sure if that helps you at all, and I’m sorry you’re feeling so anxious, i hope it goes very well for you and i think once we submit and it’s out of our hands we will feel much better...🤯🙏🏼

32 minutes ago, katkoota said:

I filed the I-864 at the end of January using just 2018, 2017 and 2016 transcripts since I hadn’t completed my 2019 return.  According to others, this is fine and just need to bring 2019 to the interview.  Like you, I kind of want to upload my 2019 return and W-2 since I have them now, but I’m going to just leave things as they are and hopefully that is good enough for NVC to approve us!

Thanks for that! It’s all so nerve wracking! 4 years is definitely way to much and not needed. Im just nervous about the tax returns and W-2’s for 2019 as i know they prefer the transcripts. Im sure you will get approval with those documents. 😃

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Piet&Dani said:

Thanks for that! It’s all so nerve wracking! 4 years is definitely way to much and not needed. Im just nervous about the tax returns and W-2’s for 2019 as i know they prefer the transcripts. Im sure you will get approval with those documents. 😃

Thank you!  I’m afraid it won’t be enough and they’ll come back saying to upload my W-2s 😂😩 it’s all so very stressful.  

On 2/11/2020 at 6:03 AM, tsabbas said:

Hi,

Hello guys is there anybody waiting on DQ after second submission?

On 2/14/2020 at 7:04 AM, Piet&Dani said:

How long it take after second submission I submitted the wrong affidavit 1864ez they requested me to submit the i864 and they requested more w2s and 1099 my 2018 still shows inilegebilty due to my spouse was not I'm the us but my 2016 and 2017 and 2019 shows more the requirement so i resubmitted again and I added anew affidavit with 2019 income i added w2s and the tax return and mentioned the i will bring the transcript at the interview the two submission i did based on nvc s customer service i shouldn't go back to the line all of my civil documents and other documents are approved except the affidavit and the doc as I have been directed by nvc it's really frustrating every time I call nvc they tell me different things my situation is really getting out of limits and I submitted an.expedite still.No response!!! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.