Jump to content
parentsjourney

How long to receive physical green card and Social Security number

13 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I filed for green card for my mother, and my mother entered US around mid-september and had her passport stamped with 1-551 valid for one year.

It's been over 4.5 months now but we still haven't received a physical green card or the social security number for her. I tried calling USCIS a couple weeks ago but they couldn't tell my any information. According to USCIS website it's 120 days from the date of entry but we are past that now.

Does anybody know how long USCIS is taking now to ship the cards and social security number? 

Also, is there a way to track the green card process?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First obvious question, did you pay the $220 green card fee, and when?

if you didn’t - you need to 

if you did - you can use the receipt number on that to track status

Edited by SusieQQQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SusieQQQ said:

First obvious question, did you pay the $220 green card fee, and when?

if you didn’t - you need to 

if you did - you can use the receipt number on that to track status

Yes, I paid the fee as soon as she was approved at the embassy, a couple months before she entered the country.

I will try and use the receipt # from the payment to try and track. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, parentsjourney said:

Yes, I paid the fee as soon as she was approved at the embassy, a couple months before she entered the country.

I will try and use the receipt # from the payment to try and track. Thanks.

Ok, in that case something has likely gone wrong. Definitely the social security card should have arrived within a couple of weeks. I suggest she take her passport with stamped visa to your local SS office to apply for a card. You will probably have to put in a case enquiry with uscis for the green card - there is an online form to do so here https://egov.uscis.gov/e-request/displayONPTForm.do

 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you move at any point during the process? My husband petitioned for me and he moved during the process. Despite updating USCIS with the new address, despite the new address being on all my forms when I arrived, despite confirming the new address verbally upon arrival at the POE, despite giving the new address as the delivery address when paying the GC production fee...it was sent to the old address. 
 

I applied for citizenship in September and despite the new address being on all the forms, etc, the online system still shows the old address. 


Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

 

Now a US citizen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so - I’d say submit the online enquiry, it will take a little while for someone to get back to you. Hopefully the status will soon update to in process, etc. if not, and you have waited a few more weeks, it may be worth contacting your congressperson’s office for help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*~*~*moved to “moving to the USA” where similar questions are often asked*~*~*


Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

 

Now a US citizen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JFH said:

Did you move at any point during the process? My husband petitioned for me and he moved during the process. Despite updating USCIS with the new address, despite the new address being on all my forms when I arrived, despite confirming the new address verbally upon arrival at the POE, despite giving the new address as the delivery address when paying the GC production fee...it was sent to the old address. 
 

I applied for citizenship in September and despite the new address being on all the forms, etc, the online system still shows the old address. 

No, haven't moved.

I can't even fill out the outside normal processing time form, it won't let me see any form in the drop down list.

 

Maybe I'm going to try contacting the congressman's office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t go straight to congressman without filing a formal enquiry with uscis first. Have you tried to see if it will let you submit without a choosing a form? There is a box to explain the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
21 hours ago, parentsjourney said:

I tried calling USCIS a couple weeks ago but they couldn't tell my any information.

USCIS will not give you any information about your mother's case.  She needs to call USCIS, and ask to speak to a supervisor, with her receipt number for the green card fee.  It takes patience to get through to a real person but it can be done with lots of calling and waiting on hold.  It's well past the 120 days so something is amiss.  Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2020 at 4:52 AM, parentsjourney said:

I filed for green card for my mother, and my mother entered US around mid-september and had her passport stamped with 1-551 valid for one year.

It's been over 4.5 months now but we still haven't received a physical green card or the social security number for her. I tried calling USCIS a couple weeks ago but they couldn't tell my any information. According to USCIS website it's 120 days from the date of entry but we are past that now.

Does anybody know how long USCIS is taking now to ship the cards and social security number? 

Also, is there a way to track the green card process?

Are a citizen ? is that on the bases they have got Green Card?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2020 at 7:31 PM, SusieQQQ said:

I wouldn’t go straight to congressman without filing a formal enquiry with uscis first. Have you tried to see if it will let you submit without a choosing a form? There is a box to explain the case.

Thanks SusieQQQ.

I was finally able to fill out the form when they finally fixed the website. After about 35ish days of filling out the form, the card is finally in production.

Many thanks for your guidance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...