Matrix13

Venting...problems with our address

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Our AOS frustration level is 10 out of 10 right now, so I will share our story (for therapeutic reasons).

Background:

Filed AOS applications early October. Listed our 2 different addresses on both the I-485 and I-765 applications. Mailing address in Michigan, physical address in Florida. Waited, waited, and waited some more (almost 3 months), just to get a biometrics appointment letter.

Currently:

Just received our biometrics appointment letter (for I-765 only) a couple days ago. Not entertained to discover that our appointment is at the Grand Rapids, Michigan ASC. We live in Florida. 

Been calling the USCIS Contact Center for the past 2 days just to get to a tier 2 agent. Not sure that a tier 2 agent can even help us at this point, but we were advised to talk to them by a tier 1 agent. Finally got a call back from a tier 2 agent today, and the call got disconnected about 30 seconds into it. Not entertained to discover that the tier 2 agent did not re-initate the call. So we have to start at the beginning of the call tree again tomorrow. 

I'm sure I deserve some blame in this address mixup situation. I incorrectly assumed that the USCIS would schedule appointments which were in the region of an applicant's physical address. Isn't that kind of common sense? Apparently not.

So, depending what the tier 2 agent says tomorrow, I imagine we will change our address online to make our mailing address match our physical address. Then there's the matter of what to do with our pending appointment in Michigan. I suppose we will snail mail the appointment letter back to the USCIS with an explanation, requesting a new, local appointment.

If anyone has any wisdom to share about how we can get ourselves un-screwed, please share it. Otherwise, enjoy my misery

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Was there a particular reason why your mailing and physical addresses are in 2 very different states?

Edited: I got confused. Ignore this last part.

Edited by gramercygreen

23 minutes ago, gramercygreen said:

Was there a particular reason why your mailing and physical addresses are in 2 very different states?

Edited: I got confused. Ignore this last part.

It might be because Florida has what we call “snowbirds”. Or because people claim Florida domicile for tax reasons. Who knows what his reason is, but a lot of Florida residents have two different state addresses. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, gramercygreen said:

Mailing address in Michigan is a third part box that I have had for years as I moved to different places around the world. 

Probably rare to have mailing and physical addresses in far-apart places, but it is what it is. 

I'm still trying to figure out why the USCIS asks for your physical address, yet they don't assign your appointments for the part of the country you live in. 

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
58 minutes ago, Matrix13 said:

Mailing address in Michigan is a third part box that I have had for years as I moved to different places around the world. 

Probably rare to have mailing and physical addresses in far-apart places, but it is what it is. 

I'm still trying to figure out why the USCIS asks for your physical address, yet they don't assign your appointments for the part of the country you live in. 

I'm assuming it's for people who rely on PO boxes for mail? They generally don't live too far from the PO box though.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.