USA1234

I751 interview in Pittsburgh

59 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline
So the applicants from 'CUBA' and 'MOROCCO" get requested for interview, same as if it were Iraq, Iran , or North Korea, its because of your country of origin guys...

I don't know if they do or not, but here's what happened today:

First, we had to get the nastiest unprofessional, female in the USCIS building. So much for luck!

Our attorney, and we got called in, she didn't even swear us in, she asked me to wait outside. Then she battered my wife (USC) with questions, which were answered truthfully, even though she may have a missed a couple. 45 minutes later, she comes out and call me again, and asked my wife to wait outside. Remember, she didn't swear us in, and she said "let me remind you that you're under oath" lol. Then she proceeded to ask me the same questions she asked my wife, and I was looking at her writing the answers while answering, and this hostile, unmannered, and nasty officer said "are you reading my notes?" I said no I'm not reading your notes. Then she asked me to sit in the back chair away from her desk and proceeded asking questions, all were answered truthfully and correctly (missed one or 2 but not cause for concern). When I first applied for AOS, I didn't register under the special registration NSEERS program because the Arabic notice they were publishing said that persons who entered the U.S. on or after Sept 2002 are required to register, it was supposed to say persons who came to the U.S. on or before Sept 2002 are required to register. This was explained in the AOS process, and I was given an opportunity after the AOS interview to register with ICE which I did, and I had proof with me and she has it in my case also (A computer print from ICE showing my picture, information, FIN, and stating that I complied with NSEERS), but this snob lady didn't even look at it, and said "when you register, they stamp your I94 with a FIN number," I said the I94 was taken away by you during the AOS interview, so when we went to ICE, this is the proof they provided us and this is the proof which your agency accepted then, and granted my conditional residence. She then said "I will check with ICE," we're finished here. So what happened, we went through a stokes interview, which she doesn't have anything to say about, and can't deny our case because even a little baby can tell from our paperwork that we're truly married. Our attorney said that they can't deny based on the answers from the interview because they were mostly identical answers, they're going to check with ICE and notify us by mail, hopefully by the end of the week. I never thought the U.S. government would hire people like that to represent them. What kind of signal does this send to immigrants? USCIS motto is Respect, Integrity, Ingenuity, but they don't show respect or integrity in either processing or treatment of immigrants. My wife is so upset with this lady that she's going to file a complaint with USCIS and even further. I'm waiting till the end of the week to hear back, if we don't here anything, then I'll have my attorney check with lady again, and to court we go if this lady tries to play smart.

What a nightmare..!! Please keep us informed and also if you happen to file a complaint, would love to hear she gets Terminated.

Best wishes,

Debra

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

USA are you still around?, if you don't mind my asking.. your letter to invite you to the interview what did it say... did it say to report to the "special cases"officer? or just to come for the interview.... my attorney reckons if the suspect fraud they would refer you to the special cases officer , and thats why she was so vicious from the word go! but still i don't think they have a right to treat people like #######. I know they have to appear tough and all.. but it is not right to harass people... if they didnt like your story.. all they could have done is refuse to remove conditions :wacko:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
USA are you still around?, if you don't mind my asking.. your letter to invite you to the interview what did it say... did it say to report to the "special cases"officer? or just to come for the interview.... my attorney reckons if the suspect fraud they would refer you to the special cases officer , and thats why she was so vicious from the word go! but still i don't think they have a right to treat people like #######. I know they have to appear tough and all.. but it is not right to harass people... if they didnt like your story.. all they could have done is refuse to remove conditions :wacko:

Thanks Debra!

We're here! We weren't referred to special cases, and our interview letter only said that it's being transferred to the local office to await an interview date. You're right, they're supposed to treat people with respect, and be tough also to prevent fraud, but this lady think she has carte blanche to just abuse us, and we're not going to do anything about it. Oh she forgot my wife is a USC, our attorney will file a complaint on Tuesday. They're also not supposed to just refuse cases because they don't like the story or the people, they have to uphold the law, and if any male and female are truly married, then the beneficiary is entitled to permanent residency giving that they don't have criminal records to decide otherwise. I read that they can't retaliate against someone's case for filing a complaint, but whatever it takes, even if they want to spend our tax dollars in court and make themseleves look like fools, then we're all for it lol.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks Debra!

We're here! We weren't referred to special cases, and our interview letter only said that it's being transferred to the local office to await an interview date. You're right, they're supposed to treat people with respect, and be tough also to prevent fraud, but this lady think she has carte blanche to just abuse us, and we're not going to do anything about it. Oh she forgot my wife is a USC, our attorney will file a complaint on Tuesday. They're also not supposed to just refuse cases because they don't like the story or the people, they have to uphold the law, and if any male and female are truly married, then the beneficiary is entitled to permanent residency giving that they don't have criminal records to decide otherwise. I read that they can't retaliate against someone's case for filing a complaint, but whatever it takes, even if they want to spend our tax dollars in court and make themseleves look like fools, then we're all for it lol.

You do realize that one can commit or attempt to commit fraud without having an accompanying criminal record, yeah? People pretend to be married to get residency all the time.

I'll reserve my comments about whether or not you suffered abuse at your interview.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline

Thanks Debra!

You do realize that one can commit or attempt to commit fraud without having an accompanying criminal record, yeah? People pretend to be married to get residency all the time.

I'll reserve my comments about whether or not you suffered abuse at your interview.

Hi Cassie,

Yes I do realize that, but if you read our post carefully, it said if any male and female are truly married, and they don't have or the beneficiary doesn’t have a criminal record, then they shouldn‘t be hassled this way. I know there are a lot of fraudulent couples out there, that is why we're in this situation, because of all of those who spoiled the process for everybody. I wouldn't be surprised if the fraudulent couples get through the system smoothly, and we, the legitimate ones have to go through an ordeal to get everything straightened out.

If you think that looking at someone in a bad manner, and treating them like criminals, and talking down on them in an offensive way is not abuse and misconduct, then I don't know what you might call abuse.

Timeline

Thanks Debra!

Hi Cassie,

Yes I do realize that, but if you read our post carefully, it said if any male and female are truly married, and they don't have or the beneficiary doesn’t have a criminal record, then they shouldn‘t be hassled this way. I know there are a lot of fraudulent couples out there, that is why we're in this situation, because of all of those who spoiled the process for everybody. I wouldn't be surprised if the fraudulent couples get through the system smoothly, and we, the legitimate ones have to go through an ordeal to get everything straightened out.

If you think that looking at someone in a bad manner, and treating them like criminals, and talking down on them in an offensive way is not abuse and misconduct, then I don't know what you might call abuse.

Well, seeing as I wasn't at your actual interview, it would be hard to say. Your definition of abuse or hassling and mine (and our various interpretations of how you were treated) in this situation may be completely different. There are times in our lives when we don't get the kid glove treatment or automatic respect that people think they deserve, this seems to be one of those times for you. The adjudicators are not our friends, nor do they have to be happy happy joy joy during the interview. With only your side of the story to go by, I have no way of determining how rude/abusive/whatever your adjudicator was.

And yes, I did read your post carefully, and my answer remains the same. The lack of a criminal record means nothing in this situation. It doesn't give the couple any bonus points or automatically confer to them the status they are petitioning for. Like I said before, people who do this process fraudulently can be squeaky clean too -- it is not an indicator that the marriage is bonafide, just that you two are law-abiding residents of the US.

One thing that still bothers me about a previous post of yours was your use of the word "entitled". IMHO, as non-USCs petitioning for various visas/status, we aren't entitled to squat. We must prove our case to the satisfaction of the powers that be and in esssence, we are at their mercy. It's not a fun place to be, and I chafe at some of it, but if I want to live here, I must play the game.

Edited by Cassie

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

Timeline

Thanks Debra!

Hi Cassie,

Well, seeing as I wasn't at your actual interview, it would be hard to say. Your definition of abuse or hassling and mine (and our various interpretations of how you were treated) in this situation may be completely different. There are times in our lives when we don't get the kid glove treatment or automatic respect that people think they deserve, this seems to be one of those times for you. The adjudicators are not our friends, nor do they have to be happy happy joy joy during the interview. With only your side of the story to go by, I have no way of determining how rude/abusive/whatever your adjudicator was.

And yes, I did read your post carefully, and my answer remains the same. The lack of a criminal record means nothing in this situation. It doesn't give the couple any bonus points or automatically confer to them the status they are petitioning for. Like I said before, people who do this process fraudulently can be squeaky clean too -- it is not an indicator that the marriage is bonafide, just that you two are law-abiding residents of the US.

One thing that still bothers me about a previous post of yours was your use of the word "entitled". IMHO, as non-USCs petitioning for various visas/status, we aren't entitled to squat. We must prove our case to the satisfaction of the powers that be and in esssence, we are at their mercy. It's not a fun place to be, and I chafe at some of it, but if I want to live here, I must play the game.

Ok, ok, ok, you're still missing my point Cassie, let me rephrase it for you again. If a couple is truly married (the marriage is bonafide), and there's no criminal record to disqualify the beneficiary, then YES, the beneficiary is entitled to the relief, in this case, permanent residency. And if USCIS is blind to see it and uphold their own laws, rules, regulations, then there's the courts to do it for them.

I know that adjudicators aren't our friends, and I know the difference between tough and professional treatment, and abusive and unprofessional treatment, and the latter was the case here. Keep in mind that I was in an AOS interview before this one, and even though the adjudicator was tough, she remained professional and respectful throughout the interview. But hey, you're entitled to your opinion.

Timeline

Thanks Debra!

Hi Cassie,

Ok, ok, ok, you're still missing my point Cassie, let me rephrase it for you again. If a couple is truly married (the marriage is bonafide), and there's no criminal record to disqualify the beneficiary, then YES, the beneficiary is entitled to the relief, in this case, permanent residency. And if USCIS is blind to see it and uphold their own laws, rules, regulations, then there's the courts to do it for them.

I know that adjudicators aren't our friends, and I know the difference between tough and professional treatment, and abusive and unprofessional treatment, and the latter was the case here. Keep in mind that I was in an AOS interview before this one, and even though the adjudicator was tough, she remained professional and respectful throughout the interview. But hey, you're entitled to your opinion.

And you are entitled to your opinion as well, and I appreciate you having this discussion with me :)

Filed: Timeline

Being a North American, it is very likely that you might not have gone through a treatment similar to USA1234's or that you would never understand his feelings and observations about how he was treated. I think that your comments are unnecessary and condescending. If you don't believe him, you certainly don't have to post here and imply that this person, who has obviously gone through an experience that is deeply troubling to him, is essentially not telling the truth about how he was treated. This is a forum where people help and support each other - if you enjoy doing the opposite of that, perhaps you should consider "reserving your comments" period.

Timeline

Being a North American, it is very likely that you might not have gone through a treatment similar to USA1234's or that you would never understand his feelings and observations about how he was treated. I think that your comments are unnecessary and condescending. If you don't believe him, you certainly don't have to post here and imply that this person, who has obviously gone through an experience that is deeply troubling to him, is essentially not telling the truth about how he was treated. This is a forum where people help and support each other - if you enjoy doing the opposite of that, perhaps you should consider "reserving your comments" period.

Perhaps you are right, perhaps I haven't gone through the same experience, but who knows? No one really knows what kind of K-1 and AOS interviews or questioning at POE's I went through, only my husband who was present for my AOS interview.

I don't presume to know exactly what USA1234 and his wife went through either, because I wasn't there, nor did I say that he wasn't telling the truth about how he felt or what happened. All I am saying is that what he felt was rude or abusive behaviour, I myself may not characterize it as such, I may see the same behaviour in the same circumstances in a different light. I have a hard time with the use of the word "abuse" -- it is a very strong word to use, and one I don't use lightly, but that's just me.

To be honest, I don't particularly like the inference that North Americans get an easy pass -- there are some Canuck VJ'ers that can tell you differently! If I am called to an interview before my 10 year card is approved, I will be expecting a rough interview (ie. one that is more intense), based on what I have read and what has been told to me by people who have gone through it......and will be pleasantly surprised if it isn't.

I am sorry you feel the way you do about my posts in this thread, that is your opinion and it is your right to express it. Not only is this forum where help and support is offered, but also differing opinions, some that may not be palatable to hear, but still need or have the right to be said. If you were to do a search of my previous posts, you would soon see that my idea of enjoyment isn't to demean or to deliberately antagonize people on this board.

To USA1234, I am interested in hearing what response you get if/when you file the complaint (if you haven't done so already).

i have been reading this ongoing conversation and i will have to disagree with Casie, just because we are immigrants doesn't mean we are not human! what do u mean we are at their mercy? everybody in this country has rights and they should be treated as such. if they suspect that this case is not adding up.. all they have to do is refuse to adjust status and the USA1234 can take it to another level. There is no need disrespect people, make them feel like dirt just so you can say you are getting your job done. This problem of immigrants being harassed has been around for years but we are normally so oppressed and scared that we don't date say anything because " we are their mercy" and they "owe us nothing". I have been to an AOS interview, which was tough and long.. but the interviewer maintained class and dignity at all time, he did not make us feel like we are convicts, he did not make us feel we are worthless and at his mercy he was professional and firm without being demeaning and condescending. So USA1234 if you feel that you were wronged, you have the right to file a complain... thats what it means to be American.. and thats why we want to live in this awesome land.. because you have the right to get justice no matter WHO YOU ARE!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

No actually you need to understand what the job of the adjudicator is.. it's to find out the facts and make decisions regarding those facts.

The truth of the matter is people lie inorder to get the benefits that the USCIS conveys. It's a known fact that when under pressure, if people are lying, then they typically will get their stories mixed up with the truth because they don't have the time or peace of mind to keep up their lie.

Sorry if the interview was a little intensive, but this is what is required to see if one is telling the truth and is truly eligible for the benefits that they are entitled to.

A USCIS's officer's job is to protect the US by only allowing those people who are entitled the benefits to receive them. If they have to make it a little hard on people to determine the truth in order to do their jobs, then they are more than willing to do that. THeir priority is not to make you feel happy and confortable during the interview... their priority is to determine the facts...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Timeline
No actually you need to understand what the job of the adjudicator is.. it's to find out the facts and make decisions regarding those facts.

The truth of the matter is people lie inorder to get the benefits that the USCIS conveys. It's a known fact that when under pressure, if people are lying, then they typically will get their stories mixed up with the truth because they don't have the time or peace of mind to keep up their lie.

Sorry if the interview was a little intensive, but this is what is required to see if one is telling the truth and is truly eligible for the benefits that they are entitled to.

A USCIS's officer's job is to protect the US by only allowing those people who are entitled the benefits to receive them. If they have to make it a little hard on people to determine the truth in order to do their jobs, then they are more than willing to do that. THeir priority is not to make you feel happy and confortable during the interview... their priority is to determine the facts...

well put

Timeline

well put

Anyway, my wife and I aren't very sensitive people to be affected by interview toughness or intensive interviewing, but I would like to put this subject to rest since I just got a voicemail from my attorney stating that my I751 was approved and a new card is being requested :lol: I think that lady in USCIS saw the light, and decided not to make a fool out of herself or the agency. We can't wait for my citizenship interview now. I don't think I will have to go through the same ordeal again for the N400.

They didn't even cash my check yet from October 9th. The website said they're working on N400's received on 07/29/07, so I have to sit and wait like everybody else. I can't say how relieved we are that this ordeal is over. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this discussion.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.