Gasolina424

Change of address and K1 AOS

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi, my fiancé arrived here a couple of weeks ago on his K1. We have until 2/22/20 to marry and adjust status. We’re having a formal wedding in April, so just the technical one (courthouse style) will take place soon. We’re moving cross country in February and will have our new permanent address as of 2/10/20.

Here’s my question: is it best to apply for AOS from my current location, and then notify USCIS of our address change? Or would we be better off waiting until we move and then sending everything in from our new address before 2/22? 

I was hoping to submit AOS right after marriage, but I’m worried the change of address once we move will screw everything up and could possibly delay things. Does anyone have any insight or experience? Our original K1 petition was lost for 5 months in the government shutdown, so I don’t have much faith in the system. 

One more unrelated question, does anyone know if it’s possible or have experience traveling to Puerto Rico before receiving AP? I assume since it’s a US territory it’s allowed, but don’t want to risk anything. 

Thank you!

Moving so early after filing wouldn't have a meaningful impact on your application timeline (other than the processing times of the 2 different local field offices involved, but that's still the case if you file after moving).

The advantage of filing right away is your case will likely be processed sooner, include an EAD and/or AP.

The disadvantage is sometimes the Change Of Address (COA) doesn't make it into their system and they use the old address still. No way to know how often that happens...the reports we see on VJ is biased as we see people who do have a problem but not all those who have no issue.

Personally, we moved mid-process and had no issue. We had the IO at the interview confirm the new address was in the system just in case, too.

You can file the COA online and call in and/or file a paper AR-11 (and I-865 for the petitioner) if you really want. No idea if it actually helps again...but I wouldn't expect it to hurt so long as they are all correct.

Traveling to Puerto Rico is permitted w/o AP. That said, there is a risk if the flight gets diverted and lands in another country.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank you! This is both helpful and reassuring. I assumed USCIS would have to move our entire application across the country and undoubtedly lose it in the process. I’ll apply right after our ceremony and get the ball rolling. Thank you again, much appreciated. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
4 hours ago, Gasolina424 said:

Thank you! This is both helpful and reassuring. I assumed USCIS would have to move our entire application across the country and undoubtedly lose it in the process. Why set yourself up for problems? See below....I’ll apply right after our ceremony and get the ball rolling. Thank you again, much appreciated. 

File your AOS/EAD/AP (I-485/I-765/I-131) as soon as possible. Processing times are quite protracted at this time, may as well get your paperwork submitted ASAP.

There constantly seem to be horror stories about fouled up Change of Addresses (COA) and lost USCIS mail. One thing that you should bear in mind is that not only should you do a proper COA with USCIS, but also USPS, https://www.uscis.gov/addresschange . Many folks tell the agency that is working on your applications, but neglect to tell the delivery service of the COA..... OOPS!!  Possibly setting yourself up for misaddressed and mis-delivered, and mail returned to sender....

Good luck on your immigration journey, and Happy Holidays!!

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
57 minutes ago, HarisB said:

My wife and i traveled to puerto rico without AP, puerto rico is a US territory so its not different from traveling anywhere else in the US.

True, but if there is an issue in transit, a force majeure, such as a hurricane, and your plane is forced to land in a non-US territory...there maybe issues. B-)

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

I think I know that answer to my question but i'll just ask.

I noted one address on my I-485 application, which is my parents home.

I ended up moving to a apartment nearby due to personal reasons, but haven't reported that address to USCIS.

We can still receive mail from my parents home without a issue. And that's how I received my notice for the interview.

I have my interview very soon and I forgot to report the change..all my documents shows the new address within the past six months... Am I in trouble here?

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

No problems with Puerto Rico. My wife is K1. We traveled to and from PR, and between PR and the US Virgin Islands, with no problem. This was before AP, and after the 90 days expired. They did formal immigration checks on us between the VI and PR, both ways, and said we are fine. They looked at her K1 visa, 100 days past entry, and smiled and said 'Have a nice flight.' The risk of your plane getting diverted is 1 in about 130000. It is totally worth a honeymoon in the US carribean.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.