ohcoffeeeyes

New proposal in congress would help immigrants with a history of marijuana use

6 posts in this topic

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomangell/2019/11/16/vote-to-federally-legalize-marijuana-planned-in-congress/#f4ca6ab201b4

"The proposal, the Marijuana Opportunity Reinvestment and Expungement (MORE) Act, would also provide for resentencing and expungement of records for people previously convicted of cannabis offenses and would shield immigrants from being denied citizenship status over marijuana."

Wonder if this would extend to the visa stage as it would no longer be illegal and therefore not a crime in the US to possess marijuana. 

It's obviously not gonna pass in the senate without being dumbed down but it shows that perhaps in a few years time we'll have a lot of people getting denied for this stuff being allowed in.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why do you think it is going anywhere?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

On 12/8/2019 at 10:32 PM, Boiler said:

Why do you think it is going anywhere?

Anywhere as in, becoming a law? I definitely don't think this will become a law under a GOP controlled senate but its very clear its gonna pass in the house and already got through the house committee, whenever the dems next control the senate (presumably, next year), this bill will come back if it gets striked down. Shows that people are ready to legalize on a federal level which is important for immigrants convicted of cannabis related crimes or get caught at the medical admitting they smoked before.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, ohcoffeeeyes said:

Anywhere as in, becoming a law? I definitely don't think this will become a law under a GOP controlled senate but its very clear its gonna pass in the house and already got through the house committee, whenever the dems next control the senate (presumably, next year), this bill will come back if it gets striked down. Shows that people are ready to legalize on a federal level which is important for immigrants convicted of cannabis related crimes or get caught at the medical admitting they smoked before.

There is nothing I have seen to suggest the Senate will switch and even if it did still has to be signed by the President.

I can think of no end of such proposals that the Dems did not proceed with when they had control of all 3 last time.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

There is nothing I have seen to suggest the Senate will switch and even if it did still has to be signed by the President.

I can think of no end of such proposals that the Dems did not proceed with when they had control of all 3 last time.

I most definitely think that the senate will switch following this election cycle (if that is what you're referring to), 23 Republican seats are up for election, almost 10 of them are swing states while all of the Democrat seats are pretty much safe aside from Alabama and Doug Jones only won last time because the entire GOP basically disowned his opponent. If you're saying you don't think the current senate will switch, I agree, I said the dumbed down remark because federally legal cannabis will be a thing soon, it's inevitable and it spells well for the next generation of immigrants, which will probably be more inclined to smoke cannabis than the next.

Timeline

Still needs the President to sign off, which seems unlikely.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.