Rob 1978

More K1 Visa questions

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello all. Since I got such great help with my intent to marry letter questions, I thought I would post again. Thanks in advance. 

I am reading online that I need to prove stable income for a K1 visa. I am currently unemployed since I work for a seasonal company, but I have already earned the required amount for the yearly income. I work this same job every year and each year I make the required amount but since I am currently collecting unemployment, will this create a problem?

I am considering paying to have my GF come to visit me since I saw on here that she can do so during the process. My question is, since she is from the Philippines, could she get a tourist visa to come here just to visit me or no? 

She will need to apply for a B-2 tourist visa to be able to visit. To be honest, with her having a fiancé here I don’t fancy her chances of getting the tourist visa, but for $160 (the cost of the application) you can find out. Don’t book any tickets until she has the visa in her hand. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Re: Income

They will want to see evidence of your current income. If you are not currently earning at the time the I-134 is presented, then your current income will be $0.

The good news: Manila rarely asks for the I-134. However, sometimes they do and you need to be prepared. Manila accepts co-sponsors on a case by case basis - usually a close family member is acceptable.

NOTE: After getting the K-1 visa, marrying in the US within 90 days, you will need to file for AOS. This requires an I-864, which means showing evidence of being able to support them (again) so they won't become a public charge. The I-864 is required - they will absolutely require that even if you get lucky and don't request the I-134 for the K-1 visa.

Re: Visiting

Visiting mid-process is allowed and many people do it. That said, a single individual with a USC fiance/fiancee and a pending I-129F from the Philippines has an extremely low likelihood of getting a tourist visa. If they had one already, that would be easier. Getting one at this point is possible but quite unusual. It's hard to show strong ties to return home when you plan to abandon those ties in the coming months.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
4 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Re: Income

They will want to see evidence of your current income. If you are not currently earning at the time the I-134 is presented, then your current income will be $0.

The good news: Manila rarely asks for the I-134. However, sometimes they do and you need to be prepared. Manila accepts co-sponsors on a case by case basis - usually a close family member is acceptable.

NOTE: After getting the K-1 visa, marrying in the US within 90 days, you will need to file for AOS. This requires an I-864, which means showing evidence of being able to support them (again) so they won't become a public charge. The I-864 is required - they will absolutely require that even if you get lucky and don't request the I-134 for the K-1 visa.[/quote]

I am currently collecting unemployment but by the time she actually gets here after being approved for the visa, I will be back at work again. It will be difficult to obtain a co-sponsor. 

4 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Re: Visiting

Visiting mid-process is allowed and many people do it. That said, a single individual with a USC fiance/fiancee and a pending I-129F from the Philippines has an extremely low likelihood of getting a tourist visa. If they had one already, that would be easier. Getting one at this point is possible but quite unusual. It's hard to show strong ties to return home when you plan to abandon those ties in the coming months.

I haven't yet filed the paperwork, I am still working on this stuff now. Should I try to see if she can get a tourist visa, then file the K1 visa during her visit? 

Just now, Rob 1978 said:

I am currently collecting unemployment but by the time she actually gets here after being approved for the visa, I will be back at work again. It will be difficult to obtain a co-sponsor. 

If your current income at the time is sufficient, I would not expect an issue with Manila.

Keep in mind the I-864 for AOS...you don't want to be stuck at that point because timing didn't work out.

Just now, Rob 1978 said:

I haven't yet filed the paperwork, I am still working on this stuff now. Should I try to see if she can get a tourist visa, then file the K1 visa during her visit? 

That's fined to do. She applies and finds out.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Timeline
8 minutes ago, geowrian said:

If your current income at the time is sufficient, I would not expect an issue with Manila.

Keep in mind the I-864 for AOS...you don't want to be stuck at that point because timing didn't work out.

That's fined to do. She applies and finds out.

I have already earned over the required amount according to the internet, but that income is now finished until Spring. Right now I am getting unemployment income only, but since K1 visa takes so long, I will be back at work by the time it gets approved. 

How hard is it to get a tourist visa for her? I have heard they are notoriously difficult to get in Philippines. 

9 minutes ago, Rob 1978 said:

How hard is it to get a tourist visa for her? I have heard they are notoriously difficult to get in Philippines. 

Statistically, it's somewhere around a 25% refusal rate. I forget the  most recent number but it's in that ballpark. However, that is normally skewed to those with stronger cases IMO...the reality is that being a single individual with a USC fiance/fiancee is difficult to overcome. Long before I got engaged to my filipina fiancee, she applied twice and was refused right away both times. She later invited her friends to the wedding (all single - she was working in KSA) and one was approved while all the others were refused.

But there is a 0% chance of getting the visa if she doesn't apply. That is always lower than spending the $160 to find out.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
12 hours ago, Rob 1978 said:

Hello all. Since I got such great help with my intent to marry letter questions, I thought I would post again. Thanks in advance. 

I am reading online that I need to prove stable income for a K1 visa. I am currently unemployed since I work for a seasonal company, but I have already earned the required amount for the yearly income. I work this same job every year and each year I make the required amount but since I am currently collecting unemployment, will this create a problem?

I am considering paying to have my GF come to visit me since I saw on here that she can do so during the process. My question is, since she is from the Philippines, could she get a tourist visa to come here just to visit me or no? 

USEM in the Philippines requires your most recent tax return and W-2 along with a signed copy of the I-134.   That is IT !     You list your gross income on the I-134, you include a copy of your 2018 tax return and W-2 email all this to your fiancee.

https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html

Don't count on getting a tourist visa for your fiancee from the Philippines, you would have been luck finding hen's teeth.

Philippines forum:  https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Yet another question! My GF has her sister's address on her ID, but she actually lived with her parents back in province, and she is now living at her job where she is a live in babysitter. Which address should I use for her when I fill out this paperwork? I do not want to make any mistakes....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.