Pertster

Address Change - What information does USCIS base their knowledge on?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Finland
Timeline

Hey everyone, I was revisiting my paperwork and came across a hole in my paperwork. 

Background: K1 SEP '18 -> Married NOV '18 -> GC arrived in mail (NEW address) SEPT 2019

My wife (petitioner) and I moved to our new address in the end of April 2019 - beginning of May. Our lease started 25th of April. We moved from her parents' second house, so the dates are a little blurry in terms of what was the OFFICIAL day. I submitted my online address change on May 6th. I cant remember the exact date I submitted my mailing address to the postal service. I think I actually might have done it after I submitted my address change for the USCIS.

I was wondering if anyone knows what information does the USCIS base their address records on. Would they cross check my address update with the postal office?

I just had an uneasy feeling knowing that I cant remember off the top of my head the exact dates. And I dont have the exact address update date from USPS in my records. And I also started worrying whether or not I did everything within the 10 day period. I THINK I did, but I am starting to doubt myself..

My Green Card and everything arrived at the new address, so I should presumably be fine. No issues came up during the interview either, which was well after the address update. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Finland
Timeline
1 hour ago, USS_Voyager said:

Of course not! Otherwise how would they keep delivering mails to people’s old addresses.

There are people complaining about that every week here.

You are worrying about NOTHING 

Sorry, I’m confused. My logic was that the USCIS must have some records of our address somehow, given the fact that they have the 10 day rule with address changes. So I thought that they would share information with the USPS and use that as their “records”. I’m just curious as to how they could enforce their 10 day rule.

Or is it so that they go by what we tell them and they don’t cross check that information?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 hours ago, Pertster said:

Sorry, I’m confused. My logic was that the USCIS must have some records of our address somehow, given the fact that they have the 10 day rule with address changes. So I thought that they would share information with the USPS and use that as their “records”. I’m just curious as to how they could enforce their 10 day rule.

Or is it so that they go by what we tell them and they don’t cross check that information?

You are required to update your address with the USCIS,  you are not required to update with the USPS 

YMMV

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
On 11/19/2019 at 6:45 AM, payxibka said:

You are required to update your address with the USCIS,  you are not required to update with the USPS 

Though USCIS in one of their latest links about Change of Address (COA), highlights the need for people to also inform USPS of COAs.

https://www.uscis.gov/addresschange

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.