5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I hope this meets you all well. I have been quite nervous for a few months now but was able to summon the courage to ask today after reading several Views on the subject.

I am getting married to a man that is 25 years older than me. For a fact, i have never been in love with my mates/younger people. I am 25 and he is 50. We are same sex couple. My attraction has always been older men for i find my kind of drive in them. 

I have read that the age difference is a red flag but we are much concerned if it won’t ruin my immigration process. Our marriage is super real, he looks younger and we reason alike. He has never Legally married before but have a daughter. Most of his family members love me and accord me more than enough respect; we live together in his house. 

We plan to file my AOS some weeks before i get out of Status.

How do i navigate this fear of age difference? Please help me with your advise, experience,guidance,view,thoughts and any thing you think will help. 

I look forward to your writes.

Thank you 🙏

I can't speak to any personal issues regarding the large age difference (hopefully others can chime in here!), but as far as it comes to immigration, it's just one of many factors that may be considered. The biggest factors would be how much time you spent together and other evidence of a bona fide relationship (that overcomes any red flag), and what country is involved. They look at local customs. For instance, a 50 year old man and 25 year old female with the Philippines is unlikely to bat an eye...that's just something that happens there. A 50 year old female USC with a 25 year old beneficiary from - as just one random example  Egypt might have a lot more scrutiny as it's fairly well out of the norm in local culture. It might be harder to gauge this with same sex relationships as I'm not sure what the "norm" is in most other countries.

Anyway, focus on presenting a strong case. If it's real, it will (eventually) come through.

Good luck.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Yes it is a red flag so make sure you have tons of evidence to prove that your marriage is real: joined bank accounts, lease, bills, insurance etc.

Pictures with both your families are also good as it show that they approve of the marriage and it's not a scam.

04/01/2019 - filed marriage-based AoS, EAD and AP

04/03/2019 - NOA

05/02/2019 - Biometrics appointment

08/20/2019 - I-693 courtesy letter

08/22/2019 - I-485 interview ready to be scheduled

09/15/2019 - filed SR for EAD/AP out of processing time (not assigned)

09/27/2019 - I-485 interview scheduled 

06/11/2019 - Interview at the NY Queens field office

07/11/2019 - I-130 APPROVED

08/11/2019 - I-485 APPROVED, card mailed

I think just be meticulous with your evidence collection. Good point on getting affidavits from family but with same sex marriages I’ve seen they tend to be more lenient because unfortunately we still live in a society where one side of the family might be accepting and another side might disapprove so don’t rely solely on that. Get the good evidences (joint bank acct, insurance, gym membership, supermarket or clubs, library cards too are also ok, mail coming to the same address, lease with both parties, cable bill, internet etc) think outside the box and you’ll see they’re a lot of stuff u can find. But good luck to you and all the best. 

On 11/8/2019 at 6:49 PM, Dany01 said:

Hello everyone,

I hope this meets you all well. I have been quite nervous for a few months now but was able to summon the courage to ask today after reading several Views on the subject.

I am getting married to a man that is 25 years older than me. For a fact, i have never been in love with my mates/younger people. I am 25 and he is 50. We are same sex couple. My attraction has always been older men for i find my kind of drive in them. 

I have read that the age difference is a red flag but we are much concerned if it won’t ruin my immigration process. Our marriage is super real, he looks younger and we reason alike. He has never Legally married before but have a daughter. Most of his family members love me and accord me more than enough respect; we live together in his house. 

We plan to file my AOS some weeks before i get out of Status.

How do i navigate this fear of age difference? Please help me with your advise, experience,guidance,view,thoughts and any thing you think will help. 

I look forward to your writes.

Thank you 🙏

You have nothing to worry about. I am 29 and he is 55 and also same sex married! Interview is easy because I provided tons of proofs when I sent the package initially so I know we got approved when we got into the room! Prepare your package well and you should be fine! Good luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.