25 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
But an ebay store would not need a license though, if I'm not mistaken. Some people actually use that as their business.

That is not true....if a license is required a license is required.... what is true is that since it is an eBay store you are not hanging out a "shingle" for all to see therefore very easy to remain unknown to the licensing authorities.

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Dean iWait,

Of course you can start your own business - you just can't work for it.

It wouldn't be a USCIS issue, it would be an ICE issue, and they can't keep up with checking on big businesses let alone find time to seek out sole proprietors.

As for the taxes, that's an IRS issue and all they care about is the money, not the immigration status of the tax payer.

Yodrak

For example, on the same lines, starting your own business....do you have to have a green card for that?

Yes.

I don't agree with this. I believe as long as you are in the country legally you can start your own business. And anyway by the time you would be required to file taxes for the business you would have SSN and GC. Just my opinion.

That makes sense.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

DEAN AND SHERYL

But an ebay store would not need a license though, if I'm not mistaken. Some people actually use that as their business.

That is not true....if a license is required a license is required.... what is true is that since it is an eBay store you are not hanging out a "shingle" for all to see therefore very easy to remain unknown to the licensing authorities.

I don't know about other states but in Colorado a business license is NOT required to start your own business. There are a few exceptions i.e Real Estate Broker, Mortgage Broker and Stock Broker etc...

DEAN AND SHERYL

Timeline
I don't know about other states but in Colorado a business license is NOT required to start your own business. There are a few exceptions i.e Real Estate Broker, Mortgage Broker and Stock Broker etc...

Excuse my ignorance, but if a business license isnt needed to start or operate your own business then what is it needed for?

YMMV

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Excuse my ignorance, but if a business license isnt needed to start or operate your own business then what is it needed for?

Well if it's not needed then it's not required. If it's needed it is required. All depends on the state you live in.

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Timeline
Well if it's not needed then it's not required. If it's needed it is required. All depends on the state you live in.

If your business was selling a certain product and since there is a significant likelihood that the product you would be selling on eBay (or other venue) would be subject to sales tax and unless you have 100% of your sales sold to out-of-state customers, a sales tax permit (a somewhat back door version of a business license) would be needed.... I mean required....

YMMV

In Colorado under state law it's not required or needed. The only time it's required or needed is if your business is regulated by state law and under that specific state law it states you need to be licensed. For instance I'm a mortgage broker. We have a state law pertaining to mortgage brokers that says I must have a license. If you are selling widgets out of your living room you are not required by law to have a license. Are you required by law to collect and in turn pay sales tax on those widgets? Yes. But, you don't need a license to pay taxes here either.

Edited by Dean iWait

DEAN AND SHERYL

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

In Colorado under state law it's not required or needed. The only time it's required or needed is if your business is regulated by state law and under that specific state law it states you need to be licensed. For instance I'm a mortgage broker. We have a state law pertaining to mortgage brokers that says I must have a license. If you are selling widgets out of your living room you are not required by law to have a license. Are you required by law to collect and in turn pay sales tax on those widgets? Yes. But, you don't need a license to pay taxes here either.

Are you sure,

REGISTERING A TRADE NAME

All companies, businesses, partnerships, associations and individuals in Colorado using a trade name must register the name with the Colorado Secretary of State’s office.

Certain Department of Revenue forms, such as the Form CR 0100 "Colorado Business Registration," have fields in which applicable trade name information should be entered.

COLORADO SALES TAX LICENSES

Colorado imposes a sales tax on the sale of new and used "tangible personal property." This does not include real estate. In addition to the state sales tax rate of 2.9 percent, cities, counties, and special taxing jurisdictions impose sales taxes at various rates. Some cities, called "home rule cities" administer their own tax programs and these cities require separate sales tax licenses. These cities should be contacted directly to receive information about their requirements. See publication (DRP 1002) "Colorado Sales/Use Tax Rates" that lists all taxing authorities and their tax rates. It also lists addresses and telephone numbers of "home rule" cities. You may obtain a DRP 1002 on our Web site at www.taxcolorado.com

To establish a state sales tax account and obtain a state sales tax license, you must complete the tax application "Colorado Business Registration" Form (CR 0100). This form may be obtained through the Web at www.taxcolorado.com

http://www.revenue.state.co.us/TPS_Dir/wra...l=startbusiness

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
That was my next thought....Taxes.

BTW, in Los Angeles County you must have a business license, even for an online Business

I'm finding all of this very interesting. In some areas in Florida you need a license, and some you do not. Business licenses from counties are primarily revenue gathering devices, nothing more nothing less. Well you know they will say more....but I disagree.

Of course there are certain occupational licenses, like Dean, I am a mortgage broker, so I must have that license, and then if I have my own company I must at minimum have a mortgage broker business license (Hey Dean, if I get a CO loan I will broker it over to you!).

However, I have an online business and non one has said anything about getting an occupational license. We actually one an award from the county economic development group about a month ago....and I said, wow, you know this is all out of the house...they said, that is perfectly legal. I don't know if they realize the fedex/ups traffic, but since it is a working neighborhood, the neighbors are generally gone for the traffic and we don't have folks coming to the house to pick things up (although they ask).

Finally it is my business and my SO's business. We are not employees, we take owners draws. This is different. That is why we are not able to just show paychecks or w2's for the affidavit of support. I hope he can work when he gets here....this is a busy business and I would like nothing but to let him handle 80% of what I do now.

Obviously he can fly under the radar, but it is neither of our wishes to do so. We take this whole thing very seriously.

But if he could work, I would be happy to take the owners draw and we can both benefit from it.

Bobbie

Bobbie & Klaus

2/23/07 Mailed Package to TSC (G-325A & I-125)

2-25-07 Online PO shows package delivered

3-06-07 NOA on I-129

3-12-07 Touched (I think)

6-8-07 Touched appropriately!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.