bakphx1

Late biometric

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

I’m writing this not so much as a question, but to just put correct information out there, as I found a lot of contradicting information online and by phone.  Short answer for those who have a biometric appointment and are late:  just go as soon as you can.   A week or more even.  They don’t ask why or even comment on the date.

Background:  we got the notice late. Who knows why but I pulled it out of the mailbox and it was already a couple of days passed (notice dated only 12 days before appointment date).  I always checked online status but it’s not mentioned there.  I looked on VJ and other sites and so many people just latched onto the language that the case MAY be considered abandoned if the appointment is not kept.  True enough but not helpful.  First: abandonment comes into play 90 days later.  Not midnight the same day or a week later.  I was annoyed how much scaring and scolding went on.  I called USCIS and after 30 minutes of hold time/verifying identity, the rep said it was a rep 2 issue and they were full, call back some other day.🙄

Looking  across several sites, the common theme was people went to the nearest ASC with their original notice.  They just got their fingerprints taken as usual.  It’s quick and done rather informally.  

Same with us-we went in, notice 8 days late.  You’d never know it.  everyone just looked to see that we had a notice of appointment at all.  The ASC has a no-walk-in policy by the way. But no one asked why we were late. We were just given a form, asked for ID, and then the prints/photos.

I stressed a bit fir two days as we all do with any detail not taken care of.  I also wished I hadn’t seen so many things written on the subject by people with no clue.  

1 hour ago, bakphx1 said:

I’m writing this not so much as a question, but to just put correct information out there, as I found a lot of contradicting information online and by phone.  Short answer for those who have a biometric appointment and are late:  just go as soon as you can.   A week or more even.  They don’t ask why or even comment on the date.

Background:  we got the notice late. Who knows why but I pulled it out of the mailbox and it was already a couple of days passed (notice dated only 12 days before appointment date).  I always checked online status but it’s not mentioned there.  I looked on VJ and other sites and so many people just latched onto the language that the case MAY be considered abandoned if the appointment is not kept.  True enough but not helpful.  First: abandonment comes into play 90 days later.  Not midnight the same day or a week later.  I was annoyed how much scaring and scolding went on.  I called USCIS and after 30 minutes of hold time/verifying identity, the rep said it was a rep 2 issue and they were full, call back some other day.🙄

Looking  across several sites, the common theme was people went to the nearest ASC with their original notice.  They just got their fingerprints taken as usual.  It’s quick and done rather informally.  

Same with us-we went in, notice 8 days late.  You’d never know it.  everyone just looked to see that we had a notice of appointment at all.  The ASC has a no-walk-in policy by the way. But no one asked why we were late. We were just given a form, asked for ID, and then the prints/photos.

I stressed a bit fir two days as we all do with any detail not taken care of.  I also wished I hadn’t seen so many things written on the subject by people with no clue.  

Just out of curiosity: Did you let USCIS level 2 rep know that you received the notice late? Or filed an official inquiry/complaint? I'm just wondering if this will be an issue down the road.

Good luck to you!

AOS from F-1

ROC

2 yr GreenCard expires: 03/24/2019

12/27/18 i-751 ROC mailed

12/31/18 USCIS received package (# starts with LIN)

01/30/19 18 month extensions received. Did not get any email/text even though I signed up for it

06/25/19 Biometrics completed in St.Paul MN

10/21/19 RFE received. Insufficient evidence.

10/24/19 RFE response delivered (per USPS).

Timeline
1 hour ago, aichteeque said:

Just out of curiosity: Did you let USCIS level 2 rep know that you received the notice late? Or filed an official inquiry/complaint? I'm just wondering if this will be an issue down the road.

Good luck to you!

I never got to speak to a Level 2 rep.  They said I’d have to call back another day as the Level 2 can only take son any calls a day.

I read other people’s outcomes and they got approved normally.  I think getting the fingerprints and doing the FBI search is the only thing they care about.  

I didn’t see that the actual appointment was key as some rescheduled in other states or just walked in to other offices.   I think they just show that biometrics Status goes from a “needed” status to a “received” status.  Once the search comes back free of criminal history, I doubt they’ll still hang up on that it was a week late.  Given they take 18 months to process it.

USCIS sending biometrics letter won’t trigger a case status update so unfortunately people have to keep checking their mailboxes

but yes, early, late, on the exact day, it’s best to go as soon as possible to get things straightened out

Timeline
2 hours ago, p-ana said:

USCIS sending biometrics letter won’t trigger a case status update so unfortunately people have to keep checking their mailboxes

but yes, early, late, on the exact day, it’s best to go as soon as possible to get things straightened out

It’s too bad we have to watch snail nail like the technology doesn’t exist.

Still make every effort to go as scheduled, but my point was if you get it late, don’t panic.  I was just stressing more than I needed to.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.