Igor&Veronika

Bringing family to US

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Dear friend,

I hope anybody went through the same process... In August 2019 I applied I-130 and I-485 together for my mum (Family ReUnion). She had entered US in April with her B2 visa and after 3 months we have decided that she needs to stay with me and apply for a green card here in US. In couple of weeks she got her biometrics appointment which she had passed successfully. Does anybody know what is the next step of the process??? Can she apply for Work Authorization or is it too early since her I485 hasn't been approved yet??? I've heard it can be from 10 to 23 months till the next step... 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Igor&Veronika said:

Dear friend,

I hope anybody went through the same process... In August 2019 I applied I-130 and I-485 together for my mum (Family ReUnion). She had entered US in April with her B2 visa and after 3 months we have decided that she needs to stay with me and apply for a green card here in US. In couple of weeks she got her biometrics appointment which she had passed successfully. Does anybody know what is the next step of the process??? Can she apply for Work Authorization or is it too early since her I485 hasn't been approved yet??? I've heard it can be from 10 to 23 months till the next step... 

She should have or could have applied for work authorization the same day you filed the i485 

YMMV

Timeline
5 minutes ago, payxibka said:

She should have or could have applied for work authorization the same day you filed the i485 

I thought i didn't make sence to do that as I485 adj.of status is/was pending. This card allows you to travel abroad or not? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Igor&Veronika said:

I thought i didn't make sence to do that as I485 adj.of status is/was pending. This card allows you to travel abroad or not? 

No, that is advance parole,  another application that could have been sent the same day. 

Advance parole and work permit are interim benefits that are available until the i485 is approved . 

Once she has her green card,  then she is also work authorized and can travel 

You can still submit the i765 and i131 for both interim benefits.   They are fee waived.   All you need to do is attach the I797 for the i485 to the submission (in addition to all the other required items)

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

No, that is advance parole,  another application that could have been sent the same day. 

Advance parole and work permit are interim benefits that are available until the i485 is approved . 

Once she has her green card,  then she is also work authorized and can travel 

You can still submit the i765 and i131 for both interim benefits.   They are fee waived.   All you need to do is attach the I797 for the i485 to the submission (in addition to all the other required items)

Ok, i got it.  Thank you very much 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.