natalysmile

Divorce help (split)

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello
I have a question on divorce proceedings.
My husband’s lawyer wants to sue that if I do not sign the peace agreement on divorce (we talked on Skype) I agreed first, and then changed my mind and did not send the document with a ballpoint pen.
Now they want to enforce this agreement in court
Also, the lawyer and my husband want me to pay all the costs of his lawyer.
My lawyer can only handle a divorce case.
She cannot take that lawsuit because I am not in the USA.
My lawyer advises signing a divorce agreement.
If I do not sign the agreement and there will be a lawsuit, for example, and the court will assign me to pay my husband’s lawyer.
Will this have any consequences for me?
My lawyer said that if I am in Russia then they will not be able to get money from me.

But since I am going to return to the USA after the approval of my petition ..

Can my non-payment harm me to enter the USA?

Thank you.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Cameroon
Timeline
36 minutes ago, natalysmile said:

Hello
My husband’s lawyer wants to sue that if I do not sign the peace agreement on divorce (we talked on Skype) I agreed first, and then changed my mind and did not send the document with a ballpoint pen.
If I do not sign the agreement and there will be a lawsuit, for example, and the court will assign me to pay my husband’s lawyer.
My lawyer said that if I am in Russia then they will not be able to get money from me.

Thank you.

As long as you didn't sign the documents, you have no agreement and therefore they can not sue you for anything. In my opinion, they are just trying to intimidate you into signing the documents. You really should get a lawyer who can look into your case and advise you on the details.

59 minutes ago, natalysmile said:

Hello

Thank you.

if your husband has already filed for a divorce, means he already paid for it. You do not need to worry. if it is a simple divorce means no finances, property and children are involved, i would say sign it and get rid of it ASAP 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Shroy123 said:

if your husband has already filed for a divorce, means he already paid for it. You do not need to worry. if it is a simple divorce means no finances, property and children are involved, i would say sign it and get rid of it ASAP 

Thanks for the answer.
I want to ask a question differently.
I may not explain it that way.
Suppose a court on divorce proceedings obliges me to pay *** the amount of money.
I am located outside the USA. The lawyer will not be able to get money from me (My husband’s lawyer)
Can this situation with the non-payment of what the court and the judge appointed have a negative effect on me when I arrive in the USA?

1 hour ago, natalysmile said:

Hello

Thank you.

first you worry too much..and then I'm wondering why you are still opening the doors of communication between you and your ex..his lawyer too!💁 you are giving them the opportunity to scare and intimidate you the more! They already know your weak point and are using it against you! Also I see you now have an attorney like you mentioned!👍 shouldn't your attorney be the intermediary? Designate that duty to him since he's representing you! Focus on gathering evidence that will be your strong point not divorce! Divorce is not a requirement to qualify or get approved for Vawa! Things are moving along at least your NOA arrived!👍

Edited by Stillwinning!!!😊

34 minutes ago, natalysmile said:

Thanks for the answer.
I want to ask a question differently.
I may not explain it that way.
Suppose a court on divorce proceedings obliges me to pay *** the amount of money.
I am located outside the USA. The lawyer will not be able to get money from me (My husband’s lawyer)
Can this situation with the non-payment of what the court and the judge appointed have a negative effect on me when I arrive in the USA?

but why court will ask you to pay for the divorce? It cannot unless you are filing for it

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Stillwinning!!!😊 said:

first you worry too much..and then I'm wondering why you are still opening the doors of communication between you and your ex..his lawyer too!💁 you are giving them the opportunity to scare and intimidate you the more! They already know your weak point and are using it against you! Also I see you now have an attorney like you mentioned!👍 shouldn't your attorney be the intermediary? Designate that duty to him since he's representing you! Focus on gathering evidence that will be your strong point not divorce! Divorce is not a requirement to qualify or get approved for Vawa! Things are moving along at least your NOA arrived!👍

I wrote incorrectly, I spoke with my lawyer with a mediator and with his lawyer. These lawyers are only divorced. But I also need to know this so that there are no unnecessary problems. His lawyer wants a sum of money.
I can’t pay it. I wanted to know if I paid, whether it would be a problem when I come and live in the USA.

20 minutes ago, natalysmile said:

I wrote incorrectly, I spoke with my lawyer with a mediator and with his lawyer. These lawyers are only divorced. But I also need to know this so that there are no unnecessary problems. His lawyer wants a sum of money.
I can’t pay it. I wanted to know if I paid, whether it would be a problem when I come and live in the USA.

It cannot be buddy. his lawyer cannot ask for a money unless you both wants to pay for the divorce, if he filed it by his own, fees are his problem not yours :-) have a glass of chilled coca cola my dear 😉

3 minutes ago, natalysmile said:

Really don't know the details of your relationship with your ex..but it's odd that they're asking you to pay a sum! 👎 your lawyer should handle that..it's a legal issue! I only hope your lawyer knows what he's doing! I don't think not paying will affect your coming to the USA! Damn!👎

Timeline

Thank you my dear
But still, you misunderstood me, or I misunderstood.
Lawyers offer to sign a settlement agreement. That agreement even indicates the amount for me from my husband.
So that the divorce case is not in court.
If I do not sign his lawyer, he filed a lawsuit to pay for my husband's services.
Suppose !!!
The court assigned me to pay my husband’s lawyer.
I do not pay and do not pay.
Now the important question.
Will I have trouble entering the United States if I don’t have it paid

23 minutes ago, natalysmile said:

Thank you my dear
Lawyers offer to sign a settlement agreement. That agreement even indicates the amount for me from my husband.
If I do not sign his lawyer, he filed a lawsuit to pay for my husband's services.
Suppose !!!

I do not think you will have any issue. because i guess civil penalties does not hurt your immigration unless huge crime has been committed. Did his attorney said he will file a lawsuit if you won't sign it? I guess it does not matter if you sign it or not, he can sign and submit it and court will approve the divorce. Sweetheart you are making your life difficult. do not think too much as my friends suggested, get your psychiatric evaluation done and submit it with your petition. 

Last, his attorney cannot file lawsuit as signing a divorce petition is completely in your hands. If you are receiving a money from him, read and sign. you can ask his lawyer to remove that clause "pay for your husband's services" from divorce petition. 

Edited by Shroy123

Filed: Other Timeline
23 minutes ago, natalysmile said:

Thank you my dear
Suppose !!!

Please I can see your point of view. See it this way: The person who goes to the market for shopping pays his or her shopping bill. He who initiates or starts the divorce process pays for the divorce.

I don't see in any way a lawyer here in US will call you on Skype in Russia and tell you to pay for divorce your abuser started. That is his problem and not your problem.

Abusers are tricksters and very mind controlling and if they see a soft side of you. Please don't give them that chance and opportunity to do so.

It is not possible and I'll suggest cut all sources of communication with anyone trying to embarrass, intimidate, harass or belittle you in any way, shape or form. 

Just pay attention to your vawa process and paperwork. Once you haven't signed anything in your name no one can put any bill in your name.

I hope this helps but if you need extra explaining I can see how best I can break this down for you. 

Edited by aquila
Edit

Timeline

This agreement was signed in hard copy in the WORD program.
when we chatted with my lawyer intermediary and my husband’s lawyer (they were in the next room)
I realized that I should be hired by VAWA
But also I must know and foresee what is connected with divorce.
Because I’m not sure that my social lawyer is ready to go to court and go through this divorce proceedings.
I want to do my best.
1. I am not sure that I need the money that he offers so that the divorce would be without trial in court.
2. If the court nevertheless assigns me payment for the expenses of my husband’s lawyer, will this not have a bad history for me?
3. Or should I sign the papers and accept the divorce process?

I do not know how to do better?

Filed: Other Timeline
25 minutes ago, natalysmile said:

This agreement was signed in hard copy in the WORD program.
when we chatted with my lawyer intermediary and my husband’s lawyer (they were in the next room)
I realized that I should be hired by VAWA
But also I must know and foresee what is connected with divorce.
Because I’m not sure that my social lawyer is ready to go to court and go through this divorce proceedings.
I want to do my best.
1. I am not sure that I need the money that he offers so that the divorce would be without trial in court.
2. If the court nevertheless assigns me payment for the expenses of my husband’s lawyer, will this not have a bad history for me?
3. Or should I sign the papers and accept the divorce process?

I do not know how to do better?

Hi there, I am not an expert but I'll be sure to guide you in some way.

1. All divorces must be ended in court and there's no way around it. A judge must dissolve it based on the grounds presented before him in court.

2. How will a court order you who's not here in the US to pay for your husband's court bill and expenses if you didn't hire his lawyer for him. How sure are that they are not 2 friends trying to get money from you so therefore claiming that you've to pay so it doesn't go to court for divorce. (Sounds like a scam 😒)

3. Depending on the state he is filling the divorce, it is not a requirement for you to sign anything. The judge will grant him the divorce because he started and wanted it.

How were you served your divorce papers? By a sheriff, or mail in your case?

Skype video call in Russia is not an option 

Edited by aquila
Edit

Timeline
1 minute ago, aquila said:

Hi there, I am not an expert but I'll be sure to guide you in some way.

1. All divorces must be ended in court and there's no way around it. A judge must dissolve it based on the grounds presented before him in court.

2. How will a court order you who's not here in the US to pay for your husband's court bill and expenses if you didn't hire his lawyer for him. How sure are that they are not 2 friends trying to get money from you so therefore claiming that you've to pay so it doesn't go to court for divorce. (Sounds like a scam 😒)

3. Depending on the state he is filling the divorce, it is not a requirement for you to sign anything. The judge will grant him the divorce because he started and wanted it.

How were you served your divorce papers? By a sheriff, or mail in your case?

Skype video call in Russia is not an option 

I received documents on the beginning of the divorce process while I was still living in the USA
I found a free social attorney. Divorce proceedings have been going on since May.
The marriage was short-lived. My husband and his lawyer are proposing a peace agreement on divorce. Where does he undertake to pay me *** money and we dispersed peacefully without judicial proceedings in the Court.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.