smp17

Divorce with conditional green card

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi there

so I came here on marriage-based green card with the 2-year conditional.  As a married couple, our intentions were genuine as was our marriage and, at the time, love.  Within 6 months however, my wife cheated and I filed divorce.  I have to file for the 10-year renewable in March 2020, and I plan to be totally open and honest of course.  I have read mixed things however on whether or not I have to contact USCIS before then to declare the divorce or just simply file as I would in March with all the evidence of divorce and explanation.  If I get an interview I will happily and truthfully share the full story.  Should I be assuming I should be able to get the 10-year renewable? We did not divorce on bad grounds, we did a simple and quick “uncontested” divorce because we already had a settlement agreement and no children. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

You don’t have to wait on filing if you already have the divorce decree. 

If if you have evidence that support your marriage was bona fide then you have nothing to worry about and you don’t have to send letter explaining anything they don’t care why you got divorced just that everything was entered in good faith. 

Timeline

Thanks so much!  Throughout our few months of married life in the US, I have the following evidence -

• Apartment lease with both names
  • medical and dental insurance for my wife covered by me 
  • Renters Insurance with both names 
  • Transfers via our bank accounts 
  •  federal and state tax return

Should this suffice? 

8 hours ago, smp17 said:

Thanks so much!  Throughout our few months of married life in the US, I have the following evidence -

• Apartment lease with both names
  • medical and dental insurance for my wife covered by me 
  • Renters Insurance with both names 
  • Transfers via our bank accounts 
  •  federal and state tax return

Should this suffice? 

Anything you have with both name of yours on paper still good for filling. I have bank, car title, apt lease, car insurance, bills. That's all i have when i filed waiver i-751

• 6 months later...
Timeline

Hi
Sometime in February I went to have my fingerprints taken. Since then, no updates at all. I know my case is being processed at the NBC. I am hoping and praying that I will be granted the 10-year card; my wife basically abandoned her marriage; stayed away from home and started doing weed and having an affair with another guy, hiding messages etc...I included in my paperwork a statement by myself, proof that I had her on my medical/dental insurance at work, proof that we had joint renters insurance, joint tenancy agreement, bank account transactions to and from each other, some messages between her and myself during the separation etc. I have been a good person since arriving here, I have worked hard, paid my taxes, made friends and family; it would kill me to loose my immigration.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.