SubLein

Apartment Background Check while Out of Status

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

Hello. 

My wife arrived into the United States under a K-1 visa. We have sent in our adjustment of status application (they have requested additional proof of income) about three months ago. The big issue is to add her to my apartment lease they must perform a background check. Do we have to worry about anyone calling immigration? Or denying us because she is not a resident of the United States? Would a background check negatively affect us in any way. Any information would be very appreciated. 

Edited by SubLein

Are they requiring you to input an SSN?  Of the two apartments I've had leases at last, one did require and the other did not.  Either way, they generally just check the credit report and nothing else.  I've never had one check criminal record.

Edited by Moe428

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

Hi Moe,

They want a SSN (which she has) and a full background check (which we have to pay for XD) the current place I live knows I got married and won't let me resign until I add my out of status wife and all the other apartments we look at want a full background check and SSN from both of us.

If you've filed for her AOS, she's technically not out of status, but in a period of authorized stay.  You should be fine.

In that case, the only issue I can see is if they ask for a foreign background check, since she's new to the country.  Anything else shouldn't be a problem IMO.  Her background in the US and her credit report will (presumably) come out empty.  I can't imagine they will ask for proof of legal status in the US, but you have that if they do ask that.  With the K-1 visa she should definitely be considered a resident of the US, even if she doesn't have a green card yet.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I just called my landlord for this today. I told them we didn't have a SSN for her yet as they asked for this on the application so they said they will accept a copy of her passport and I told them about the copy of police report we have from Thailand so they said they will accept that and keep it in our file, they were very nice about everything. We havn't applied for AOS yet but will tomorrow. Hope this helps someone this is for Michigan though.

Edited by Nick27

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.