G_ngan

I-864 domicile

25 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

It is not

What do you reckon is enough?

To clarify, it's USD 26,662 x 5 times = USD 133,310. So this is still not enough?

16 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

OP only needs to establish INTENT to domicile

You reckon communication proof with real estate agent, schooling, opening bank account, transferring funds into US. is good enough for 'intent'?

Edited by G_ngan

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
8 hours ago, G_ngan said:

What do you reckon is enough?

To clarify, it's USD 26,662 x 5 times = USD 133,310. So this is still not enough?

You reckon communication proof with real estate agent, schooling, opening bank account, transferring funds into US. is good enough for 'intent'?

Moving your assets into the US is primary step 1 to establish intent.

Your real estate agent? Skip that.  LOL both you and the CO know you’re in no position to procure a mortgage (and) use the same cash assets to support immigrant(s).  Same for school.  You’re not enrolling anyone from over there and emails about it don’t count.

You will be needing a plan for healthcare. I got grilled on that.

By interview time you’ll need more of a firmer address and plan.  You have family in the US?  I had everything at my parents (trip 1 back on assets) and my brother’s (trip 2 back on assets).

You have a car in the US?  US credit cards?      Any ties other than a bank account?

CO looks at totality of circumstances.  You don’t have a plan he/she’s gonna send you back first to start working and wait for the support affidavit to arrive and you can work out with them if you think that’s acceptable or not.  Unless you have a joint sponsor.  Only other way to prevent being separated. 

This is what we did and how we did it:

1.  Titled, registered, insured vehicles in the US

2.  Current US drivers licenses

3.  US Mobile phone accounts

4.  US Credit cards

5.  US Bank and investment accounts

6.  US Health insurance

2011 was easy.  We skipped right through on all of the above plus 8ish X the 125% poverty guidelines.  Half cash, half equities.

2018?  All of the above + 10x in banked cash and 20x in equities.  CO still asked about a joint sponsor.  It was sobering.  More that 7 digits and still got grilled.

So what do I reckon? I reckon you’re just getting started and I reckon you’re not taking this nearly seriously enough to avoid the risk of being separated or the need for a joint sponsor so that you don’t have to be.  It’s ruinously expensive and complicated to set up and maintain the puppet show that it takes to enjoy what you are planning to do.  You think about this before you dismiss the other posters’ comments and advice.

30 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

Moving your assets into the US is primary step 1 to establish intent.

Your real estate agent? Skip that.  LOL both you and the CO know you’re in no position to procure a mortgage (and) use the same cash assets to support immigrant(s).  Same for school.  You’re not enrolling anyone from over there and emails about it don’t count.

You will be needing a plan for healthcare. I got grilled on that.

By interview time you’ll need more of a firmer address and plan.  You have family in the US?  I had everything at my parents (trip 1 back on assets) and my brother’s (trip 2 back on assets).

You have a car in the US?  US credit cards?      Any ties other than a bank account?

CO looks at totality of circumstances.  You don’t have a plan he/she’s gonna send you back first to start working and wait for the support affidavit to arrive and you can work out with them if you think that’s acceptable or not.  Unless you have a joint sponsor.  Only other way to prevent being separated. 

This is what we did and how we did it:

1.  Titled, registered, insured vehicles in the US

2.  Current US drivers licenses

3.  US Mobile phone accounts

4.  US Credit cards

5.  US Bank and investment accounts

6.  US Health insurance

2011 was easy.  We skipped right through on all of the above plus 8ish X the 125% poverty guidelines.  Half cash, half equities.

2018?  All of the above + 10x in banked cash and 20x in equities.  CO still asked about a joint sponsor.  It was sobering.  More that 7 digits and still got grilled.

So what do I reckon? I reckon you’re just getting started and I reckon you’re not taking this nearly seriously enough to avoid the risk of being separated or the need for a joint sponsor so that you don’t have to be.  It’s ruinously expensive and complicated to set up and maintain the puppet show that it takes to enjoy what you are planning to do.  You think about this before you dismiss the other posters’ comments and advice.

Thanks for the advice. CO can certainly look at different things and each CO looks at different requirements too. Real estate agent and school communication is our intent or else we wouldn't fly back for a look-see trip. You can certainly say that anyone can do that with no intention but that's our intent.

Plan is to rent a house before the embassy interview then family can move then insurance, buy a car, schooling when family arrive. Whether CO accepts this as a plan is a whole different story.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, G_ngan said:

Thanks for the advice. CO can certainly look at different things and each CO looks at different requirements too. Real estate agent and school communication is our intent or else we wouldn't fly back for a look-see trip. You can certainly say that anyone can do that with no intention but that's our intent.

Plan is to rent a house before the embassy interview then family can move then insurance, buy a car, schooling when family arrive. Whether CO accepts this as a plan is a whole different story.

That wasn’t advice.  That was interview counter experience.  USC (that was me) gets grilled a lot harder than the applicant on US return petitions.  Good luck!

I am having the same issue with establishing Domicile in the Us, here is my situation;

I am an American citizen CURRENTLY living in Germany with my German wife (we were married earlier this year in Germany) and we have undergone the Green Card process  (DCF) for her so we can move to the US.

I have begun filing form I-864 (Affidavit of Support) and have seen that one of the main requirements is that I must be Domiciled in the USA. As I had mentioned I am currently living in Germany and have been here for 8 months. Additionally, from January 2016 until August 2018 I was abroad in Australia and New Zealand on a temporary work visa.

How can I show proof that I am Domiciled in the US? All I have at the moment is my US passport and social security number, my US bank account that I've had since 2015 (I receive monthly bank statements that show my address in the US, I do not own the home, but the home of my parents where I lived before leaving), and an address (my parents home). Would this be enough or would I need additional evidence to prove that I am Domiciled in the US? Would getting letters from my employer and landlord saying that we are only staying in Germany until my wife's green card is granted be of any help?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

3 hours ago, Leo O said:

I am having the same issue with establishing Domicile in the Us, here is my situation;

I am an American citizen CURRENTLY living in Germany with my German wife (we were married earlier this year in Germany) and we have undergone the Green Card process  (DCF) for her so we can move to the US.

I have begun filing form I-864 (Affidavit of Support) and have seen that one of the main requirements is that I must be Domiciled in the USA. As I had mentioned I am currently living in Germany and have been here for 8 months. Additionally, from January 2016 until August 2018 I was abroad in Australia and New Zealand on a temporary work visa.

How can I show proof that I am Domiciled in the US? All I have at the moment is my US passport and social security number, my US bank account that I've had since 2015 (I receive monthly bank statements that show my address in the US, I do not own the home, but the home of my parents where I lived before leaving), and an address (my parents home). Would this be enough or would I need additional evidence to prove that I am Domiciled in the US? Would getting letters from my employer and landlord saying that we are only staying in Germany until my wife's green card is granted be of any help?

From what I find, it looks like you either have a joint sponsor (parents) or proof domicle.

For domicle, a job offer, child schooling, Etc. Like nitas_man said, CO can ask anything and what's acceptable may not be to another CO. He had a difficult CO. In fact, the USC doesn't need to go to the interview and it's up to the CO whether he/she allows the USC to stand at the side. It sucks that his CO grilled him which is unnecessary.

https://citizenpath.com/proof-of-domicile-i-864/

2 hours ago, G_ngan said:

From what I find, it looks like you either have a joint sponsor (parents) or proof domicle.

Not either, both.  Its either joint sponsor or adequate income to support immigrant, plus domicile.

Timeline
14 hours ago, Leo O said:

I Initially used my parents address.

Everything was switched to that address before I filed the petition, including my drivers license, etc.   That was the address all the way through interview.

By POE?  We had an apartment lined up and they were waiting for us to arrive to sign the lease.  The immigrant updates their address at POE and the address that she gave them was our apartment address.  We landed, got a one-way rental car, crashed in a hotel, signed the lease next day, then drove over to my parents, picked up our car, dropped off the rental, and settled into our apartment.

That was 2012.  Last year we did exactly the same thing except my kids were driving our cars so we added a trip to the dealer to get a new one the day after we landed.  It was all arranged from

overseas including the driver who brought us to the hotel and the car dealership.  We wrote a check for that car.  Remember - no job LOL <ching> extra cost.

A trip back like that has to be meticulously planned and so does initial filing.  The USC needs to be solidly addressed somewhere in a place that they can, if they need to, actually reside and receive mail to.  I tapped my family on that even though as it turned out we never needed to actually stay there but there was extra cost because we had to switch car registrations and drivers licenses etc after we signed leases where we would actually stay.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.