physicistwannabe

From Legal Entry to DACA to i130 to i485

2 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello! Firstly, thank you for reading and for any help or advice that you can provide, its all greatly appreciated. I entered the US and was issued an i94 back in 2000 at the age of 5. I was enrolled in DACA coming out of high school in 2013 and started dating my then girlfriend in 2014 of which i first met in high school. We get married at the end of 2016 and file our I-130 immediately. In June of the next year we receive our notice stating that our I-130 is approved and are ready to file the I-485. For those thinking we should've filed concurrently back in 2016 at the time I was way less aware of what I could and could not do and so out of what we thought was being safe, filed I-130 by itself. At the same time I had also just renewed my DACA so we put the I-485 aside in our minds to just enjoy our life together which leads us to our current situation.

At the beginning of September we found an immigration lawyer to help us with the I-485 (I've been stressed looking up everything and when I found this community I realized perhaps we could have done it ourselves, whoops) and sent it out, its received Sept 12, we get our notification for biometrics appt 2 weeks later, and I just had my appt 2 days ago on Oct 1st with my filing status set to Fingerprint Review is Completed a day later. My questions are:

a) Are there any problems with having done the I-130 2 years before we file for the i-485?

b) At my biometrics appt they took my picture and just took my fingerprints from 2 fingers on one hand instead of multiple from both hands from my DACA appts, is that anything to worry about?

c) What can I be doing right now to prepare for what's to come?

d) My wife and me were long distance for a few years so I have photos of my flying out to her school in Oregon, she finished school a few years ago and we've been living together for a year now (we are Texas based) and are a real couple yet I'm still worried about coming off nervous at an interview, any advice?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
29 minutes ago, physicistwannabe said:

Hello! Firstly, thank you for reading and for any help or advice that you can provide, its all greatly appreciated. I entered the US and was issued an i94 back in 2000 at the age of 5. I was enrolled in DACA coming out of high school in 2013 and started dating my then girlfriend in 2014 of which i first met in high school. We get married at the end of 2016 and file our I-130 immediately. In June of the next year we receive our notice stating that our I-130 is approved and are ready to file the I-485. For those thinking we should've filed concurrently back in 2016 at the time I was way less aware of what I could and could not do and so out of what we thought was being safe, filed I-130 by itself. At the same time I had also just renewed my DACA so we put the I-485 aside in our minds to just enjoy our life together which leads us to our current situation.

At the beginning of September we found an immigration lawyer to help us with the I-485 (I've been stressed looking up everything and when I found this community I realized perhaps we could have done it ourselves, whoops) and sent it out, its received Sept 12, we get our notification for biometrics appt 2 weeks later, and I just had my appt 2 days ago on Oct 1st with my filing status set to Fingerprint Review is Completed a day later. My questions are:

a) Are there any problems with having done the I-130 2 years before we file for the i-485?

Not that I am aware of.

b) At my biometrics appt they took my picture and just took my fingerprints from 2 fingers on one hand instead of multiple from both hands from my DACA appts, is that anything to worry about?

I would not think so, I was never in any of my wife's biometric appointments, but I figure they know what they are doing.

c) What can I be doing right now to prepare for what's to come?

You will have an interview as I believe all AOSs get them now.  Make sure you have a copy of you complete I130 and I485 packages that were submitted.  Also, create a file of other information showing a bonafide marriage that you did not submit with the I485.  If you have your interview after filing taxes for 2019 (after April 2020) then take a copy of your latest to the interview.

d) My wife and me were long distance for a few years so I have photos of my flying out to her school in Oregon, she finished school a few years ago and we've been living together for a year now (we are Texas based) and are a real couple yet I'm still worried about coming off nervous at an interview, any advice?

Relax :) You may be able to find sample interviews on YouTube, maybe review those to help you prepare.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.