Jitoria

Affidavit of Support—Tax Questions

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

I agree.  Never DO-DO when DO will DO!

Ah Philippines .. easy enough.   I-134, copy of most recent tax return/transcript and W-2  .. all can be scanned and sent by email to your fiancee.      That is it, unless a person is a new employee.

Your petition was approved?  Is your case file at NVC?      https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/nvc.html

For the visa process, this guide may be helpful:  https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html

For your questions about the visa process in the Philippines:    https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

Thanks for the info. We know a couple that just went through the process ahead of us. They used a lawyer and submitted the bare minimum at every step. They did K1/K2 for fiance and child. He's not a high earner., no savings, etc. Made only a few thousand over the 125% guidelines. But they had no issues and were not asked for any documents. I wish there was an explanation as to why some people are treated  differently than others. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Fogi said:

Thanks for the info. We know a couple that just went through the process ahead of us. They used a lawyer and submitted the bare minimum at every step. They did K1/K2 for fiance and child. He's not a high earner., no savings, etc. Made only a few thousand over the 125% guidelines. But they had no issues and were not asked for any documents. I wish there was an explanation as to why some people are treated  differently than others. 

It is really hard to say what triggers extra attention during the visa process.   I know at the interview the ease with which the applicant answers questions has an impact on whether the CO feels a need to look at things closer.   I know of some very crazy situations, it amazes me what information the embassy has access to.

Interviews last 3-5 minutes on average. The CO does a reading of the pre-screener's notes and does give that consideration also.   When we were there the pre-screener chatted with us for a time, real casual chat.   The CO spent more time chatting with me than my wife, heck he even forgot to have her take the oath during the interview and had to call her back up to his window.  Too funny.

Our whole process was a breeze, we got everything done before the big slow down, even citizenship was done in under 4 months.

18 months in the Phils  .. you retired?

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Fogi said:

My now wife was asked for the i134 by the pre-screener.  Don't know why.  They looked at it and handed it back to her

YMMV

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

It is really hard to say what triggers extra attention during the visa process.   I know at the interview the ease with which the applicant answers questions has an impact on whether the CO feels a need to look at things closer.   I know of some very crazy situations, it amazes me what information the embassy has access to.

Interviews last 3-5 minutes on average. The CO does a reading of the pre-screener's notes and does give that consideration also.   When we were there the pre-screener chatted with us for a time, real casual chat.   The CO spent more time chatting with me than my wife, heck he even forgot to have her take the oath during the interview and had to call her back up to his window.  Too funny.

Our whole process was a breeze, we got everything done before the big slow down, even citizenship was done in under 4 months.

18 months in the Phils  .. you retired?

No, 30s. I work from home, so asked my employer if home could be anywhere in the world, they said yes.  We tried for a quickie tourist visa a few months after we met, they denied her. So we just lived life for a few years, saved, and made sure all ducks were in a row so the process would be seamless. 

I've always wondered if they do some actual investigating. Like with the i-129 F, they must run your name through some FBI database. Does the embassy actually call your bank and employer? Otherwise, someone savvy enough could just make up some documents and get approved. The whole immigration system seems bloated. Especially in these instances where someone wants to bring their partner over. 

Timeline
8 hours ago, Fogi said:

No, 30s. I work from home, so asked my employer if home could be anywhere in the world, they said yes.  We tried for a quickie tourist visa a few months after we met, they denied her. So we just lived life for a few years, saved, and made sure all ducks were in a row so the process would be seamless. 

I've always wondered if they do some actual investigating. Like with the i-129 F, they must run your name through some FBI database. Does the embassy actually call your bank and employer? Otherwise, someone savvy enough could just make up some documents and get approved. The whole immigration system seems bloated. Especially in these instances where someone wants to bring their partner over. 

They do run checks, especially the embassy, as crazy as that sounds.   I recall one person where the Filipina was asked about her fiance's criminal record and if he had discussed this with her.  Luckily he had, and she rambled off the details .. was approved.

The embassy (in the Philippines)  isn't interested in bank statements.      They ask for most recent tax return & W-2.   

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
19 hours ago, Hank_ said:

They do run checks, especially the embassy, as crazy as that sounds.   I recall one person where the Filipina was asked about her fiance's criminal record and if he had discussed this with her.  Luckily he had, and she rambled off the details .. was approved.

The embassy (in the Philippines)  isn't interested in bank statements.      They ask for most recent tax return & W-2.   

I cannot find my 2017 return. I hope 2018 return and W2s from both 2017 and 2018 will suffice. Not enough time for me to request from IRS. 

My fiance has memorized my extensive criminal history, should they ask 😉

Timeline
1 hour ago, Fogi said:

I cannot find my 2017 return. I hope 2018 return and W2s from both 2017 and 2018 will suffice. Not enough time for me to request from IRS. 

My fiance has memorized my extensive criminal history, should they ask 😉 ......    :lol:   

Embassy asks for most recent tax return & W-2 ..  which is 2018 .. you are good.  :thumbs:  

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Fogi said:

My fiance has memorized my extensive criminal history, should they ask 😉

Transcripts are available online and can be downloaded in just a few minutes if you have the ability to self identify 

YMMV

Timeline
3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Transcripts are available online and can be downloaded in just a few minutes if you have the ability to self identify 

I was able to self identify up to the phone number. They said it's not valid. So I have to wait for the confirmation by mail. I am not  too worried. Manila embassy is good with 1040 and W2. I have the 2018 return, 2018 W2, and make well over the 125% guideline. 

I printed my tax transcripts buts it’s pretty worthless since I haven’t filed in 4 years (on Chinese student scholarship). 

I might reach out to the IRS to see if I was supposed to file any of the years, but I think my best course is to get a co-sponsor (my mom) who has a better tax history. Is this a good idea? Does anyone have opinions about co-sponsors for proof of financial responsibility?

i have 8 months of pay stubs, and a letter from my work describing my position as permanent. Plus I make well over the 125% guideline. Still, I am nervous my lack of tax returns could hurt me. 

Timeline
52 minutes ago, Jitoria said:

I printed my tax transcripts buts it’s pretty worthless since I haven’t filed in 4 years (on Chinese student scholarship). 

I might reach out to the IRS to see if I was supposed to file any of the years, but I think my best course is to get a co-sponsor (my mom) who has a better tax history. Is this a good idea? Does anyone have opinions about co-sponsors for proof of financial responsibility?

i have 8 months of pay stubs, and a letter from my work describing my position as permanent. Plus I make well over the 125% guideline. Still, I am nervous my lack of tax returns could hurt me. 

As long as you were not obligated to file, you're ok. If you made more than $12k you should have filed. 

On 9/30/2019 at 11:29 AM, Fogi said:

As long as you were not obligated to file, you're ok. If you made more than $12k you should have filed. 

There is only 1 year (2016-2017) I was on a work visa in China and made more than 12,000 USD. Otherwise my only reportable income was a 3000 RMB/month scholarship stipend. 

Im thinking I’ll need to talk to the IRS and try to file for that year. My coworkers said I didn’t make enough to be taxed, and I assumed they meant I didn’t make enough to file. Oops!

Timeline
48 minutes ago, Jitoria said:

There is only 1 year (2016-2017) I was on a work visa in China and made more than 12,000 USD. Otherwise my only reportable income was a 3000 RMB/month scholarship stipend. 

Im thinking I’ll need to talk to the IRS and try to file for that year. My coworkers said I didn’t make enough to be taxed, and I assumed they meant I didn’t make enough to file. Oops!

You should see exactly what the consulate in Armenia wants with the i-134. They may only want 2018 info. They may want pay slips, or they may just require a statement form the bank and employer. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.