californian

Son and husband of my soon to be permanent resident sister

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

I am a US citizen and I petitioned for my sister many years ago to become a US resident. (I believe I filed I-130). At the time she was single with no kids. Now my sister is married with a child. I expect her to get her call from the embassy soon for a green card interview. Does her status as a green card holder allow her current husband and 2 year old son to become residents as well?

N-400 Journey

12/17/2010 Sent package to Phoenix, AZ (Day 1)

12/21/2010 Package delivered, (Day 5)

12/22/2010 Check cashed, (Day 6)

12/22/2010 NOA Date, (Day 6)

01/03/2010 Received the Biometrics appointment letter. (Day 18) Appointment on 01/14/2011

01/05/2011 Biometrics Done - Walk in, (Day 20)

02/15/2011 Yellow Letter sent (Day 60)

02/18/2011 Yellow Letter received (Day 63)

03/29/2011 Case Status Update: Testing and Interview (Day 102)

03/30/2011 Interview Letter sent (Day 103)

04/01/2011 Interview Letter received (Day 105)

05/09/2011 Interview Day - PASSED!! (Day 143)

05/20/2011 Case Status Update: Oath Ceremony!! (Day 154)

05/31/2011 Case Status Update: Ceremony notice sent (Day 165)

06/30/2011 Scheduled Oath Ceremony (Day 195)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline
2 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Why are they not added to her F4 case now? They can get green cards with her as derivatives if they are. 

I found this online "due to the cap on the number of F4 visas available each year, the applicants cannot start their application process until their priority date is current. What this means is that you can only apply for the F4 visa when it is your turn in the chronological order of all applications for F4 visas."

Does this mean I will get a letter with a priority date and then we file F4 for her husband and son? or I should inform USCIS ASAP that her martial status changed?

N-400 Journey

12/17/2010 Sent package to Phoenix, AZ (Day 1)

12/21/2010 Package delivered, (Day 5)

12/22/2010 Check cashed, (Day 6)

12/22/2010 NOA Date, (Day 6)

01/03/2010 Received the Biometrics appointment letter. (Day 18) Appointment on 01/14/2011

01/05/2011 Biometrics Done - Walk in, (Day 20)

02/15/2011 Yellow Letter sent (Day 60)

02/18/2011 Yellow Letter received (Day 63)

03/29/2011 Case Status Update: Testing and Interview (Day 102)

03/30/2011 Interview Letter sent (Day 103)

04/01/2011 Interview Letter received (Day 105)

05/09/2011 Interview Day - PASSED!! (Day 143)

05/20/2011 Case Status Update: Oath Ceremony!! (Day 154)

05/31/2011 Case Status Update: Ceremony notice sent (Day 165)

06/30/2011 Scheduled Oath Ceremony (Day 195)

1 hour ago, californian said:

I found this online "due to the cap on the number of F4 visas available each year, the applicants cannot start their application process until their priority date is current. What this means is that you can only apply for the F4 visa when it is your turn in the chronological order of all applications for F4 visas."

Does this mean I will get a letter with a priority date and then we file F4 for her husband and son? or I should inform USCIS ASAP that her martial status changed?

You need to inform NVC ASAP that she has derivatives. They will be added to her case. You cannot file F4 separately for them, they don’t have the required relationship to you themselves to do so, they have to be added to her case as derivatives. If you don’t inform uscis that she has derivatives and she alone gets a visa, then she will have to sponsor them separately after she gets a green card and that will take another 2 years or so and cost more. There is no logical reason to do it this way.

im not clear where in this she is timeline wise as you say you expect an interview letter soon. Has she filled in a ds260 yet?

1 hour ago, californian said:

If you filed many years you would have got the notification of priority date years ago too. If they are added to her case as derivatives they automatically get her priority date as it will be one case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.