deleriumm1

Filing i130 - wait for my citizenship interview next month?!

13 posts in this topic

Hello!

I have a bit of a dilemma.

First issue:

I'm ready to file for my wife's i130. I'm currently an LPR, and I have my citizenship interview next month.

Should I wait to file, or go ahead and file, and then later upgrade petition? 

Second: what would be sufficient for bonafide marriage evidence? We actually got married in the US on her last visit here (she was here on ESTA). She left after the wedding. She visits often, ever since she was a kid (she has a lot of family here). She's been here twice since we've known each other. 

I've visited her about 4 times over the last 2 years. Our engagement ceremony was in England with around 400 guests in attendance (including my entire family from US) and I have all the pictures. I have the tickets, hotel receipts, airbnb receipts, car rentals, credit card bills for all those visits. We've been on vacation together once, and have all the information for that.

Wife's info: British citizen, same age, we both have a solid education background. Strong family ties in both countries for both of us (I have a lot of cousins and uncles/aunts in England, and vice versa)

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Sure, why not start the clock ticking and then upgrade after you are naturalized.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Please don't do it. Wait till you get your naturalization certificate in hand and then file. I did the same mistake, flled I-130 for my wife on 02/2019 when I was LPR. The case was sent to the California center, I got my citizenship in July and I called to upgrade, sent proof of citizenship and nothing since. My case should be transferred to the Texas or Nebraska...centers because California's only process for LPR. Do yourself a favor and wait. YMMV by the way.

46 minutes ago, Torabora said:

Please don't do it. Wait till you get your naturalization certificate in hand and then file. I did the same mistake, flled I-130 for my wife on 02/2019 when I was LPR. The case was sent to the California center, I got my citizenship in July and I called to upgrade, sent proof of citizenship and nothing since. My case should be transferred to the Texas or Nebraska...centers because California's only process for LPR. Do yourself a favor and wait. YMMV by the way.

Did you get upgrade letter

If you file as F2A now, and upgrade (2 months later), most petitions get approved within 5 months of an upgrade. [Total time to NOA2: 7 months]

If you wait for the naturalization (2 months), your petition can take anywhere between 7 months (Potomac) and 14 months (Nebraska). [Total time to NOA2: 9 months - 16 months]

The decision is yours. 

37 minutes ago, PK_ said:

If you file as F2A now, and upgrade (2 months later), most petitions get approved within 5 months of an upgrade. [Total time to NOA2: 7 months]

If you wait for the naturalization (2 months), your petition can take anywhere between 7 months (Potomac) and 14 months (Nebraska). [Total time to NOA2: 9 months - 16 months]

The decision is yours. 

Thats what I found out as well.. thats why I am going to put my I-130 before becoming USC.. but I am not aware of California LPR only thing..

1 minute ago, beatbaba said:

Thats what I found out as well.. thats why I am going to put my I-130 before becoming USC.. but I am not aware of California LPR only thing..

I'm in exactly this situation right now. Most, if not all, F2A petitions go to the California Service Center. They will ultimately approve your petition after an upgrade. If you check the other thread, they has given many people a written response that the petition will be adjudicated within 5 months after the upgrade.

Just now, PK_ said:

I'm in exactly this situation right now. Most, if not all, F2A petitions go to the California Service Center. They will ultimately approve your petition after an upgrade. If you check the other thread, they has given many people a written response that the petition will be adjudicated within 5 months after the upgrade.

Yes, me too.. N400 interview next month.. I-130 about to go ... 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
12 hours ago, beatbaba said:

Here is what I recommend:

1. Do you know your Field Office trend for the oath notice ? Some give within 15 days or right at interview, some can take months.
    If you know for sure that the oath will be mailed < 30 days from interview, then might as well wait.
  2. Also do you know where your case will go if filed as IR1 (ask around in your town, Potomac is the fastest at 8 months and rest all are 9-15 months ) ? if it will go to a center that is currently taking more than months to process.
    Then I would send it as F2A ASAP and upgrade it once u get naturalization which means CSC has 5 months to decide and you may have a decision faster in 7 month total!

Common conscience is to file now and then upgrade.

Timeline
14 hours ago, Torabora said:

They will not send it elsewhere.

The upgrade letter should state that they will make a decision within 5 months, you upgraded in July which means you will likely have to wait till December to get a decision. Also the keyword being within which means it can happen faster, Mine took 3 months.

Timeline
5 hours ago, beatbaba said:

Where does this number for 5 months CSC come from ... 

its from the email after service request to upgrade or in the letter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.